Sign in to follow this  
jtmwatchbiz

[RESOLVED] Headshot (Bill) may urgently need O+ blood

Salty Dog

... now have my beautiful four-year-old daughter snuggled up next to me in my own bed at home.

Nice, but wouldn't it be nicer if it were your wife snuggling up next to you.... :db:

Vulle Vuojas

Probably the biggest reasons that would eliminate our members are hypertension meds, blood thinners and tattoos. I had a donor lined up, but her veins were too small to draw blood from. I still appreciated her going down to be qualified (or in this case disqualified).

There are a few suggestion what to do to fight dengue in this thread.

But, what did the hospital do besides of keeping you on IV. What medicine or liquid were you asked to use?

• Like 1

Half Baked

Just saw the thread, Bill. Hope you're feeling better. Glad you're out of the hospital and back home.

Merry Christmas to you and the family from Ellen, Ashley, and me.

• Like 1

Enuff

Bill, I will stop by your house on Tuesday to see you and drop off your care package.

Paul

??   Where did you get that from. I am from Europe..  well ..  almost. (wink).. from the UK.. and donated blood in Canada many times.  But when did this thread stop being about Bill?

Ironically, I was just thinking the same thing. 

You other two, get a room. 

to_dave007

Ironically, I was just thinking the same thing. 

Damn.. for some reason that scares me.

• Like 2

Paul

Damn.. for some reason that scares me.

Again, thinking the same thing. 

contraman

But when did this thread stop being about Bill?

Blame the Gorilla for asking what the criteria was for blood donors in the PI :idontknow:

Headshot

Blame the Gorilla for asking what the criteria was for blood donors in the PI :idontknow:

I hope you came to realize that nobody really knows what all of the requirements are. Even the people working at the hospital couldn't give me a complete list.

• Like 2

colemanlee

For any rule here, you want a different answer, ask a different Filipino....

• Like 1

Wolfpack

I hope you came to realize that nobody really knows what all of the requirements are. Even the people working at the hospital couldn't give me a complete list.

last time I went to give blood, they asked me when is the last time you had alcohol...I replied honestly, I learned they needed blood when i was have a beer at a bar a couple blocks away...

they said that disqualified me...wasn't sure what part of what i said disqualified me...but that was a short visit...

diverdon

Nice, but wouldn't it be nicer if it were your wife snuggling up next to you.... :db:

Then who would make breakfast, lunch, & dinner and clean up?

• Like 2

Headshot

My platelet level has bounced up to 109,000 today, which is the highest level since we started measuring. It still not back to normal, but is rapidly heading in that direction. It looks like I have definitely turned the corner.

• Like 6

Enuff

My platelet level has bounced up to 109,000 today, which is the highest level since we started measuring. It still not back to normal, but is rapidly heading in that direction. It looks like I have definitely turned the corner.

Sad, I just found out they don't do refunds on bereavement flowers.

Just kidding, see you tomorrow

• Like 3

colemanlee

and he missed a great opportunity to get some 80 proof blood

• Like 1

to_dave007

Bill..  I know this thread was initially about finding a blood donor, but now that the emergency has past are you willing to share a summary overview of the medical side of this brush with Dengue.  The kind of thing I'm thinking of would be length of hospital stay, what prescription drugs involved, and summarized costs.  No problem if you view this as too personal, but living as I do out here in the province I'd be interested in knowing what to expect if someone here gets the dreaded bite..

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Headshot

Bill..  I know this thread was initially about finding a blood donor, but now that the emergency has past are you willing to share a summary overview of the medical side of this brush with Dengue.  The kind of thing I'm thinking of would be length of hospital stay, what prescription drugs involved, and summarized costs.  No problem if you view this as too personal, but living as I do out here in the province I'd be interested in knowing what to expect if someone here gets the dreaded bite..

I was in CDUH for five days. I spent two days in a regular private room, and then transferred to a luxury suite (kind of a misnomer), so I could have WIFI. I had a dextrose IV the entire time I was in the hospital. Other than that, the only meds I had were my normal maintenance meds (that I provided) and a couple of doses of anti-nausea medication pushed into the IV. The first two days were extremely uncomfortable, with every bone, muscle and joint in my body hurting. My abdomen was also extremely distended and uncomfortable. I got virtually no sleep for the first three nights I spent in the hospital, but part of that was that I couldn't keep my mind from thinking about my eldest daughter who died in Virginia the same day I entered the hospital.

The food in the hospital was almost inedible for me. I got food poisoning at CDUH four years ago, and every meal served to me was lukewarm at best. It made me nauseous just to think about eating most of the food they served. I ate the soup, veggies and fruit, and Fred was kind enough to bring me apples and bananas to supplement what I was getting. The diet when you have dengue is very restricted anyway, with no dark meat and nothing with any chocolate in it. I don't recommend Dengue as a weight-loss program, but I lost over twenty pounds during the course of this illness. The total cost for my stay (including doctors) came to $650 US (30,550 PhP).

Even though I am out of the hospital, my battery is still running pretty low, and I simply have no energy to do much of anything. I have had to force myself to get out and get things done. Monday morning was spent at the US Consular office taking care of some papers I had to have notarized to release my daughter's body back in Virginia. Then, I have so many things to do due to the vehicle accident I had before the illness, it is really daunting. Add to that the Christmas season and all that goes with that, and I simply haven't been able to fully recover my energy. Hopefully, I will catch up on my sleep soon.

• Like 4

to_dave007

Bill,

My condolence at the loss of your eldest daughter.  Certainly one of the hardest parts of LivingInCebu is not being present for certain of life's events.

Thanks for the dengue summary you've provided.  That's what I was looking for.

Hope you are enjoying your meals more now, and that your recovery continues quickly.  From what you've written I'm guessing you may still not make it to the LINC party, so let me wish you a merry Christmas, and a Happy Ney Year, just in case.

Dave

Headshot

Bill,

My condolence at the loss of your eldest daughter.  Certainly one of the hardest parts of LivingInCebu is not being present for certain of life's events.

Thanks for the dengue summary you've provided.  That's what I was looking for.

Hope you are enjoying your meals more now, and that your recovery continues quickly.  From what you've written I'm guessing you may still not make it to the LINC party, so let me wish you a merry Christmas, and a Happy Ney Year, just in case.

Dave

Food is still not really appealing to me, but I will be at the LinC Charity Bash. I can't let a little disease get in the way of a good party.

• Like 2

contraman

I will be at the LinC Charity Bash

Will you stop giving me reasons not to attend  :idontknow:

• Like 2

hyaku

One of the reasons somebody was disqualified when I was looking for donors was weight. A student from San Carlos Uni was told she was too small and needed to be at least 50 kg. Maybe this was just a requirement of Chong Hua but its worth knowing. One donor who came in from Cebu Lions was robbed outside the door. He still came in and said it had made him even more determined to give.

Glad to know you are o.k. Bill. Have nice Christmas with the family.

• Like 1

cebulover2000

Do you ever consider whether or not the things you post are true or not ?  It would seem not .  Perhaps you should post a warning with your comments so people know not to think that they are true ??

Can I Donate?
Ready to Give Life? Start Here.

btn-book-appointment.png

For your safety and the safety of the patients, all volunteer blood donors must be evaluated to find out if they are eligible to give blood. Whether you are donating for the first time or checking to see if you can continue to donate, the following information will help you before you book an appointment or visit a clinic.

When you go to donate, you will be asked a number of questions to determine your eligibility. One of our qualified team members will make the decision about whether or not you are eligible to donate.

Am I eligible to donate?

To become a blood donor in Canada you must be:

• In good general health, feeling well and able to perform your normal activities
  • At least 17 years old
  • Meet our height and weight requirements if you are between 17 and 23 years old. Use our calculator to determine if you are ready to donate.

There are many exclusions not to be accepted as donor. Last checked regarding travel to Philippines was 8 years ago and it excluded me. Now Philippines is on the low risk list but not sure what that means if you actually wanted to donate.

I was asked if I travelled to Asia within the last 2 years and ws told this is the reason to exclude me, I just checked with a friend of mine, he said that he was asked the same question 3 years ago and also excluded for that reason.

Does that not mean that all people from Asia (who have been there within the last 2 years) are excluded?

In regards to Europe, read here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canadian-blood-services-ban-on-those-who-lived-in-britain-not-fair-says-albertan-1.2783375

Canadian Blood Services ban on those who lived in Britain not fair, says Albertan

Former British resident surprised screening practices haven't improved over the years

CBC News Posted: Oct 01, 2014 6:54 AM MT Last Updated: Oct 01, 2014 2:40 PM MT

blood-donations.jpg

Canadian Blood Services says it is critically short of blood, with reserves at the lowest levels since 2008, but there is still a ban on some who lived overseas during a mad cow disease outbreak. (CBC)

3 shares
  facebook-up.png
Facebook
  twitter-up.png
Twitter
  reddit-up.png
Reddit
  plus-up.png
Google
  share-up.png
  email-up.png
Email

A southern Alberta woman says she would like to help Canadian Blood Services (CBS) ease its blood shortage but she is not allowed to donate.

Sue Carpenter moved to Cochrane, Alta. from England nine years ago.

People who lived in the U.K., France, Saudi Arabia and Western Europe over certain periods of time can't donate blood.

That's because of concerns about variant ​Creutzfeldt-Jakob (vCJD), sometimes called the human equivalent of mad cow disease.

Carpenter is surprised screening practices haven't become more sophisticated since then.

"I just couldn't understand why I was able to give blood for so long in England and yet I couldn't do it here," she said.

"There are an awful lot of Brits that have come to live here and I'm just wondering how many people are being turned away from donating blood because of this."

Carpenter says she was a regular donor in the U.K. and has the universal blood type.

No licensed test available, says CBS

"All of our deferral policies are in place to protect patients and even donors," said CBS spokesperson Deb Steele-Kretschmer in an email. "But we realize it can be difficult for many well-intentioned people to understand why they are in place, or why they seem out-dated."

She said CBS is hoping to have a stop date for the five-year travel to Western Europe — so it would be 1980 to likely the end of 2007, rather than open-ended — but that change would have to be approved by Health Canada.

"There is no licensed test available worldwide to test for vCJD,... and the incubation period — that is, the amount of time before symptoms show up — is currently unknown," said Steele-Kretschmer, adding the blood agency is carefully monitoring the development of new technologies to either remove vCJD from blood, or test for the presence of the disease.

"We realize that many very committed, healthy blood donors are deferred as a result of this policy. Unfortunately, this is the price of ensuring the safest system possible, and trying to balance that safety at all times against an adequate supply."

CBS sounded the alarm earlier this week that its blood supply is the lowest it's been since 2008. The agency strives to have a five- to eight-day supply of blood on hand. 

Currently, the supply is down to three days.

Last year CBS and Héma-Québec loosened restrictions on donations from gay men so that they can now give blood if they haven't had sex with a man in five years.

The previous policy barred men from giving blood if they did had sex with a man, even once, since 1977. It was enacted in an attempt to keep HIV-infected blood out of the supply.

More restrictions here:

https://www.blood.ca/en/blood/abcs-eligibility

Some are not even listed but they blantly refused me a few years ago because of hypertension but when you google it, there is really no reason with my very low risk condition.

And of course nothing on the official web site about European donors. European donors are only excluded if they were living in certain countries during a period of time. The UK is definitely included as mentioned above but maybe the poster here didn't live in the UK during that time or he wasn't asked that question during screening.

Edited by cebulover2000
  • Like 1

Vulle Vuojas

The requirements mentioned are ofcourse to protect people in need of blood from getting other deseases....

But, something I came to wonder about.....  In the Philippines is it possible for the person in need to ask the hospital go ahead and accept from a donor despite of being not allowed to donate......   I  mean lets say there's a patient in need of blood and his/her sibling is prepared to donate but have just come from a yellow fever area or something similar.......  The patient decides to take the risk to accept blood from the sibling.... but in this case what is a likely stand from the hospital?  Anyone know?