Racist comment by Jim DeFede on CBS4

I do not wish this to turn into politics, my only comment on this is that to me it is amazing in this day and age that DeFede post-2331-0-57168800-1450289878_thumb.jpg aka Jabba the hutt, could get away with labeling Ted Cruz and Marko Rbuio the two Cubans since they are both Americans, what the heck does their heritage have to do with it and why the hell did he even have to bring that up. :(

https://youtu.be/ae4DutCMES8?t=1m7s

I was waiting to see just who was going to be the one to give out lessons rather than address the issue of the post. All too often some members feel the need to correct other members instead of just addressing a post with proper comments, sad that you Mike had to be one of those but I knew if you read it that you just could not resist. :( 

I guess you have not been reading this forum often enough to know just how many times the definition of racist has been posted.

It really makes the speaker look stupid in my view, as Ted Cruz is Canadian by birth, and Marko was born in Florida I think. So his comment  was a slur rather than racist I think, both men having Cuban fathers. A cheap shot, but hardly something to be offended by, IMO.

• Like 1
mikewright

I do not wish this to turn into politics,

Fair enough, but just wondering why you would think this story is world news?

• Like 4
Irenicus

Cuban illegal immigration is rising at dramatic rates, doubling in just the past year.  And if they are getting in, who is to say that Muslims are sneaking in along with them.  Both races are dusky skinned, so it's hard to tell.

Rubio and Cruz need to support the zero tolerance policy in regards to illegal immigration, and being of Cuban descent, they need to specifically address that they are willing to pass the laws necessary to keeping these drug dealers and rapists out of our country.

Davaoeno

what the heck does their heritage have to do with it and why the hell did he even have to bring that up.

Couldn't agree with you more  Lee  !!! What a persons heritage is , be it negroid, Muslim, Republican etc should have absolutely nothing to do with a news story .   

• Like 1

Fair enough, but just wondering why you would think this story is world news?

Because he is a well know news reporter for some stupid reason and for him to even mention something like that shows his bias. In today's world don't we have enough problems without news people categorizing people in the news. 

Cuban illegal immigration is rising at dramatic rates, doubling in just the past year.  And if they are getting in, who is to say that Muslims are sneaking in along with them.  Both races are dusky skinned, so it's hard to tell.

Rubio and Cruz need to support the zero tolerance policy in regards to illegal immigration, and being of Cuban descent, they need to specifically address that they are willing to pass the laws necessary to keeping these drug dealers and rapists out of our country.

While you comments must be tongue in cheek, let me post this for people who do not know, Cubans do not come into the US illegally because of the wet foot dry foot policy, the minute they touch land they are legal, is that fair when the laws are not the same for others who boat in, I did not make the laws.

The wet foot, dry foot policy is the name given to a consequence of the 1995 revision of the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966 that essentially says that anyone who fled Cuba and entered the United States would be allowed to pursue residency a year later. After talks with the Cuban government, the Clinton administration came to an agreement with Cuba that it would stop admitting people intercepted in U.S. waters. Since then, in what has become known as the "Wet foot, Dry foot" policy, a Cuban caught on the waters between the two nations (with "wet feet") would summarily be sent home or to a third country. One who makes it to shore ("dry feet") gets a chance to remain in the United States, and later would qualify for expedited "legal permanent resident" status and eventually U.S. citizenshiphttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_feet,_dry_feet_policy

mikewright

Because he is a well know news reporter for some stupid reason and for him to even mention something like that shows his bias. In today's world don't we have enough problems without news people categorizing people in the news.

In the States he might be, not elsewhere. Seriously, this is not "world news".

In the States he might be, not elsewhere. Seriously, this is not "world news".

Okay Mike, I see what you mean now, please look at the title of this section, it says News,  then Headlines, then & wolrd events, so I believe it belonged in news since DeFede is a news commentator but maybe it would have been better in US News and the mods are welcome to move it if they think so.

I didn't realize "Cuban" was a race.

Either way, they aren't Cuban. They are Americans, of Cuban heritage.