How do you cook your rice?

On-in-2

I've heard lots of talk about having rice with every meal. But, how is it prepared?

I went on a boat trip with my gf's family and they brought along a few big bunches of woven leaf packets...and cutting each one open, it was filled with cooked white rice. Anyone know of this system of making rice portable for travel?

Also, I'm interested in learning to cook rice. Any methods, recipes, tips or techniques here might help not only me but others with similar interest.

I've heard lots of talk about having rice with every meal. But, how is it prepared?

I went on a boat trip with my gf's family and they brought along a few big bunches of woven leaf packets...and cutting each one open, it was filled with cooked white rice. Anyone know of this system of making rice portable for travel?

Also, I'm interested in learning to cook rice. Any methods, recipes, tips or techniques here might help not only me but others with similar interest.

This is called Puso or hanging rice.

Puso.jpg

puso2.jpg

Just a quick overview of the process.

Weave young coconut leaves in a heart-shape bags.

Fill 1/3 to 1/2 full.

Boil covered in a large pot or container.

String and hang them together to cool.

I cook my rice with a rice cooker. Always perfect. I like rice but not cold as many Filipino eat it.

I enjoy eating rice, but unless its served with some thing that has a sauce or gravy it can be a little dry and bland, so sometimes whilst cooking the rice I add a piece of Ginger, It doesn't matter If your using a saucepan or rice cooker, just put in your rice add your water then drop in your freshly peeled ginger, for a medium size pan/cooker I add one piece of ginger approx 1" sq, It will boil away with the rice, when the rice is ready remove the ginger and serve. I once served rice and peas to my wife's family, they clearly like rice and they also like peas.....but not it seems when mixed together.Pandan* leaves can also be added to rice for extra flavor, the leaves should be pushed down amongst the rice and not sit on top during cooking.

How to cook rice http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/article...-perfectly.aspx

The Pandan Leaf http://www.essortment.com/all/pandanleaf_pga.htm

John

Edited by Bukwali
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
This is called Puso or hanging rice.

Puso.jpg

puso2.jpg

Just a quick overview of the process.

Weave young coconut leaves in a heart-shape bags.

Fill 1/3 to 1/2 full.

Boil covered in a large pot or container.

String and hang them together to cool.

this is neat to watch ... get a few old women that look like they belong on a charm bracelet and are anywhere from 150 to 200 years old and watch them whip through making these

Lacion Girl

Having a rice cooker makes the job easier; however, you can make perfect rice anytime with, or without a rice cooker using the "finger method" :) . Pour the desired amount of uncooked rice into the pot or rice cooker. (Remember, uncooked rice is roughly 1/3 the volume of cooked rice.) Then, rinse it thoroughly 2-3 times w/ cold water. Level the rice, and add enough water to cover it so that when you stick your middle finger through the water to the top of the rice, the water comes up to the first line/knuckle of your finger. (In other words, the knuckle closest to your fingernail.) If you have a rice cooker, it will cook for the proper length of time, given the weight of the rice. If you have only a pot, turn the flame on high until a good boil is achieved, then turn down the heat to simmer (covered) until all the water is absorbed -- 15 to 20 minutes. Do not open the pot during the simmer. Voila! Perfect rice. -- Lacion Girl.

twostrokes

Both the rice cooker and the "finger method" mentioned above work well, I have used both many times.

Sometimes I use chicken broth instead of water, this leaves a nice flavor, or course it depends on what you are going to be eating it with.

To me, pretty much, cooked rice is cooked rice. The flavor changes with the juices, sauces, gravies you put on top of it.

Jim

To me, pretty much, cooked rice is cooked rice. The flavor changes with the juices, sauces, gravies you put on top of it.

Jim

A little tip I picked up in Penang. . .

With the rice ready to cook in the rice cooker, I sometimes

add a dash of tumeric to give the rice a bright yellow color.

Then add dried raisins (sultanas) and peas if you want, and a little extra water.

As soon as the rice combo is done, serve with generous chunks

of lechon manok. Sarap! Lamai! :)

We eat rice almost with every meal. Fresh cooked "Jasmine" rice is my favorite. What we don't eat is refrigerated. I fry it up the next day with garlic, peas and some left over adobo. Masarap!

A rice cooker makes perfect rice every time, but the "finger" method works pretty good too. After the simmering step I was taught to reduce the heat to the slightest and place a piece of wax paper on top of the rice, then set the lid ajar.

Not sure why about the wax paper as I have eliminated that step now. But having the lid a jar helps the rice to "dry down" if you have a little too much H2O.

Anyway, Mama always patted the top of the rice.

When done, no kernels will stick to your hand!

I will eat my rice any way except in the morning with milk and sugar.

To me, that's blasphemy!

The finger tip method is effective and was taught to me by a Japanese woman while I was living in Hawaii. BUT, it's not fool proof depending upon the size of your hand. There can be a significant difference in length between females and even more so for males. 1/2 to 5/8 inch of water is optimum for most rice.

Depending upon what country the rice is from you may need to wash the rice more to remove all the talc that may be used to coat the rice. I always rinse all rice until the water runs nearly clear and it varies by brand. Even though talc has been identified as a carcinogen, some countries still use it. Wiki is down right now, but look it up if you are concerned.

Edited by Bob Ward
eggnoggin

try this..... normal amount of rice.... put in bowl.... add water ...squunch while rinsing...repeat adding water... squunching ...til water is clear in bowl.. approx 6 times..... put rice in strainer or colander .. squeeze juice of 1 lime on rice .. squunch rice ... let stand awhile 15 min or so....mild rinse.. chop level half teaspoon garlic and level half tablespoon onion very fine ... add to hot rice cooker bowl with just enough oil... one teaspon or so.. to saute until clear .. add damp rice...stir and cook til rice is good and hot thru... add water to the finger thing... cook as usual... you will have it right when a subliminal hint of onion and garlic are present along with enough of an almost imperceptible fragrance and freshness of lime to make you wonder if its there... just before i add a stick of butter and enough salt to kill a school of anchovoies :lol: i lke a tablespoon of super finely chopped cilantro in mine :blink: the lime can be used in earlier rinsing to help dislodge the ultrafine talc and keep it from setting up house in the joints of your hips and fingers.... thats right.. its the same stuff used in the final polishing of gigantic telescope lenses and mirrors ... not good for our little bodies :(

Edited by eggnoggin

Real limes are hard to come by here many times. I wonder if the lemoncito will work? It should!

• Admin (Retired)
broden

haven't done it this way in a long while.. but i like plain rice with just a slight bit of butter and some sesame seeds

try this..... normal amount of rice.... put in bowl.... add water ...squunch while rinsing...repeat adding water... squunching ...til water is clear in bowl.. approx 6 times..... put rice in strainer or colander .. squeeze juice of 1 lime on rice .. squunch rice ... let stand awhile 15 min or so....mild rinse.. chop level half teaspoon garlic and level half tablespoon onion very fine ... add to hot rice cooker bowl with just enough oil... one teaspon or so.. to saute until clear .. add damp rice...stir and cook til rice is good and hot thru... add water to the finger thing... cook as usual... you will have it right when a subliminal hint of onion and garlic are present along with enough of an almost imperceptible fragrance and freshness of lime to make you wonder if its there... just before i add a stick of butter and enough salt to kill a school of anchovoies :lol: i lke a tablespoon of super finely chopped cilantro in mine :blink: the lime can be used in earlier rinsing to help dislodge the ultrafine talc and keep it from setting up house in the joints of your hips and fingers.... thats right.. its the same stuff used in the final polishing of gigantic telescope lenses and mirrors ... not good for our little bodies :P

If the perfect word doesn't exist, just go ahead and coin one to fit the situation! "Squunch"...It says it all!

You are a funny and eloquent poster, and the recipe sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it!

• 2 weeks later...