Sign in to follow this  
Pman

My Banca boat build thread.

Wanabethere

Pman - Wow awesome boat and thread, I just love watching the craftsman work. So were do I see the video of you paddling your banca. My place is a 1/2 mile from the beach that is why I want to get my kayak there. So how much do you estimate it weighs? My kayak is around 100 lbs.

take care,

Martin

woodchopper

i wonder what the aluminium boat builders at Balamban would charge for the hull only,,put bamboo outriggers yourself etc?

shadow

Pman - Wow awesome boat and thread, I just love watching the craftsman work. So were do I see the video of you paddling your banca. My place is a 1/2 mile from the beach that is why I want to get my kayak there. So how much do you estimate it weighs? My kayak is around 100 lbs.

take care,

Martin

Pman is temporarily unavailable. Having seen the boat, I would estimate it to weigh about 200 pounds or maybe a little less.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Pman is temporarily unavailable. Having seen the boat, I would estimate it to weigh about 200 pounds or maybe a little less.

When you next see him, convince him (if he goes beyond swimming/hailing range of the shore or operates in currents) to carry a cellphone and a float in a sealed clear plastic bag plus a couple of life jackets - very cheap insurance!

[ if his partner cannot swim, she should wear one ]

It's an open-deck boat! - not impossible that it could get swamped in a moderate/roughish sea (or if an outrigger failed, you could pretty much guarantee it!) and its unlikely he could bail-it/repair-it and make it functional again without outside help. He would need some way to call for help.

Given the search and rescue capabilities in the Phils - a life jacket would be a very handy thing to have, if you are stuck in the water for a few hours - that may well drag on to 24hrs or more!

Edited by Oz Jon

shadow

When you next see him, convince him (if he goes beyond swimming/hailing range of the shore or operates in currents) to carry a cellphone and a float in a sealed clear plastic bag plus a couple of life jackets - very cheap insurance!

[ if his partner cannot swim, she should wear one ]

It's an open-deck boat! - not impossible that it could get swamped in a moderate/roughish sea (or if an outrigger failed, you could pretty much guarantee it!) and its unlikely he could bail-it/repair-it and make it functional again without outside help. He would need some way to call for help.

Given the search and rescue capabilities in the Phils - a life jacket would be a very handy thing to have, if you are stuck in the water for a few hours - that may well drag on to 24hrs or more!

I have discussed the boats capabilities and the dangers of the area with him at length. He is within 20 km of where the American disappeared last year (Brad Fugate). If he is in the water 24 hours, he can easily be 50 km from where he started, and on the same path as Fugate, on the way to southern Palawan/Malaysia. His chances of survival are then slim unless a massive search party is launched immediately. So he has been warned. He says he is just going to paddle around near the shore. 

• Like 1

Oz Jon

I have discussed the boats capabilities and the dangers of the area with him at length. He is within 20 km of where the American disappeared last year (Brad Fugate). If he is in the water 24 hours, he can easily be 50 km from where he started, and on the same path as Fugate, on the way to southern Palawan/Malaysia. His chances of survival are then slim unless a massive search party is launched immediately. So he has been warned. He says he is just going to paddle around near the shore. 

Good on you for warning him!

Hopefully other boating LinC members will read this (and the Brad Fugate thread) and maybe, save their own lives.

I'm always amazed that so many people believe that bad things only happen to other people, never to them and take foolish risks.

Cannot be bothered putting their cellphone and a float in a sealed plastic bag and carrying it on-board.

Would rather risk their lives than spend $50 on a couple of life jackets.

(if you are a competent swimmer, then most of the time you don't need to wear the life jacket

- just have them on-board and easily accessible in bad weather/emergency.

shadow

Good on you for warning him!

Hopefully other boating LinC members will read this (and the Brad Fugate thread) and maybe, save their own lives.

I'm always amazed that so many people believe that bad things only happen to other people, never to them and take foolish risks.

Cannot be bothered putting their cellphone and a float in a sealed plastic bag and carrying it on-board.

Would rather risk their lives than spend $50 on a couple of life jackets.

(if you are a competent swimmer, then most of the time you don't need to wear the life jacket

- just have them on-board and easily accessible in bad weather/emergency.

Serviceable life jackets here can be had for P300. However, once that current grabs you, the life jacket will just help you float away. Fugate was drifting at 2 KPH.

woodchopper

i had many a fishing boat,,aluminium and fibreglass,,in australia,,whilst this thread is obviously likeable,,there is no way i am getting in anything less than what i previously did or had,,ample length and beam etc with safety provisions.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

Serviceable life jackets here can be had for P300. However, once that current grabs you, the life jacket will just help you float away. Fugate was drifting at 2 KPH.

Yes, the sea is not to be taken lightly - and currents (even close to shore) can be unseen and dangerous.

If you end up in the water, wearing a life jacket, you are reasonably visible and have some chance of surviving for many hours.

Long enough for someone to receive your cellphone call (or much later to note your failure to return)

and hopefully, do something about organising a rescue.

At sea, without a life jacket, you are difficult to see from the air or another boat and you're unlikely to last very long before drowning.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1