South Korean K-Pop group Oh My Girl held at LA airport on suspicion of being sex workers

South Korean K-Pop group Oh My Girl held at LA airport on suspicion of being sex workers

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/south-korean-k-pop-group-oh-my-girl-held-la-airport-suspicion-being-sex-workers-1533051

December 12, 2015 12:49 GMT

oh-my-girl.jpgMembers of the K-Pop group Oh My Girl were held at LA airport on suspicion of being sex workersOh My Girl Facebook page

The K-pop group Oh My Girl flew back to South Korea, after being held for 15 hours in an airport, when US customs officials suspected them of being sex workers. Oh My Girl had travelled to the US for an album cover shoot, but were detained by LA immigration authorities who rifled through their props and costumes.

"Then, probably because of their young age, they seem to have mistaken them as sex workers," said a spokesman for WM Entertainment. The group's record company is taking legal advice in America to see if the band's detention was illegal. There were also reports of issues with the girl band's type of visa, the record company added.

Oh My Girl are currently believed to be back in Seoul, even though they were booked to appear at a Los Angeles gala event on Saturday 12 December. A WM Entertainment rep said the band was very tired and will be resting. "We are discussing what to do with the disrupted filming."

K-popping all over

The K-Pop group formed in March and released their debut single Cupid in April. The band members are aged between 16-21.

South Korea's K-pop scene is hugely popular and dominated by young girl and boy bands, that are made of 3-15 members who are sometimes as young as 13 or 14 years old, according to Rappler.

The South Korean authorities took steps to curb oversexualised K-pop performances threatening to place R-ratings on films, music videos and TV shows that placed an exaggerated sexual emphasis on young singers and bands.

A law introduced in 2014 has stopped underage singers and actors from taking part in overnight performances and productions or from being coerced into sexualised portrayals. The aim is also to improve working conditions in the local entertainment sector.

South Korea's teenage pop stars have been known to rehearse and perform without sleep. Under the new law, underage stars will be guaranteed the basic rights to learn, rest and sleep, though exceptions can be made for projects requiring long-distance travel.

• Like 1
colemanlee

When you hire TSA and Immigration folks that could not get a job at McDonalds what do you expect....

• Like 6

Better to err on the side of caution.   Would be easy enough to get some promoter to fake a band and use it to traffic some girls through.   Jester

• Like 2

Better to err on the side of caution.   Would be easy enough to get some promoter to fake a band and use it to traffic some girls through.   Jester

...except they could have performed a Google image search for the band in like 2 minutes.

• Like 3
smokey

...except they could have performed a Google image search for the band in like 2 minutes.

lot of the girls are minors ..... hummmm 

mactanfamily

So they had the wrong visa and now the "promoter" claims they were harassed and called whores...

Get the hell out.

On the other hand if they were Muslim they would be given the red carpet.

lot of the girls are minors ..... hummmm 

Touchy legal ground there.

It's on the internet it must be true!

So they had the wrong visa and now the "promoter" claims they were harassed and called whores...

Get the hell out.

What do you expect from a Korean?

It's on the internet it must be true!

Just as the simple believe every word they read, so do the unwise throw out the baby with the bathwater. One needs to use their judgement. If you had done so and followed my suggested method you would see hundreds of professional studio photographs of the band with links to write-ups from mainstream media and details of television appearances.

If you discard the internet as a source of research (which is what your sarcasm implied) you are missing out on the information age and have put yourself on the wrong side of the technological divide. Better to hone your online research skills.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
From TMZ

A Korean girl group called Oh My Girl was detained at LAX, their record label claiming they were wrongly targeted as underage prostitutes, but our sources say the group was trying to enter the country under questionable circumstances.

The girls arrived at LAX Friday from South Korea but got stopped at U.S. Customs. Their record label claims the feds noticed the girls were traveling with costumes and jumped to the conclusion they were prostitutes. A label rep says they were held for 15 hours and booted back to Korea.

But our sources say, what really happened was that the girls tried entering on a visitor visa. When customs officials noticed they were traveling with a ton of luggage that included costumes and other markers, they started asking questions and realized the group was here to perform.

Our sources say the proper papers would have been a Performer Visa, which they didn't have. So the girls were held in the customs office for around 10 hours until they could catch a flight home.

The girls were supposed to perform at the Beverly Hilton Hotel Saturday at an event ... Unforgettable, 2015.  

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1
smokey

Just as the simple believe every word they read, so do the unwise throw out the baby with the bathwater. One needs to use their judgement. If you had done so and followed my suggested method you would see hundreds of professional studio photographs of the band with links to write-ups from mainstream media and details of television appearances.

If you discard the internet as a source of research (which is what your sarcasm implied) you are missing out on the information age and have put yourself on the wrong side of the technological divide. Better to hone your online research skills.

so then if a group of terrorist show up and say they are going to a medical conference at the county morgue that should be ok as the internet will show a few beheading and they are tech. a medical procedure 

• Like 1

so then if a group of terrorist show up and say they are going to a medical conference at the county morgue that should be ok as the internet will show a few beheading and they are tech. a medical procedure 

Actually, I said, "one must use their judgement". 

• Like 1