Center island fronting mall to be removed

SunStar

Center island fronting mall to be removed

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2015/12/11/center-island-fronting-mall-be-removed-446558

Friday, December 11, 2015

THE Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 gave the Cebu City Transportation Office (CCTO) the go-signal to remove the center island in front of the SM Seaside City Cebu.

CCTO executive director Rey Gealon said removal of the structure will facilitate the smooth flow of traffic on the Cebu South Coastal Road (CSCR), considering that vehicles from the south that are bound for the Mambaling area have to stop in front of the mall and turn left on Vestil Road, or the Mambaling Access Road, to exit the South Road Properties.

No disruption

The scheme, Gealon said, will not disrupt vehicles from Mambaling that area headed for the viaduct.

After clearing the center island, vehicles from Mambaling that are heading north will be allowed to turn left toward the viaduct.

When SM Seaside opened last month, traffic was heavy on the CSCR.

However, DPWH 7 Director Ador Canlas, in a letter, reminded CCTO that the removal of the center island should only be temporary.

U-turn slot

“The proposed island opening will be temporary in nature and will have to be closed immediately at the expense of the requesting parties when this office finds its necessity no longer warranted because of measures that will be instituted in the near future to address such situation,” Canlas said.

The structure will be restored whenever the submerged U-turn slot under the viaduct and under the bridge between the boarders of Cebu City and Talisay City is established.

More than a dozen CCTO personnel will be deployed in the area, particularly on roads surrounding the mall to supervise traffic.

• Like 1

From the above news item

U-turn slot “The proposed island opening will be temporary in nature and will have to be closed immediately at the expense of the requesting parties when this office finds its necessity no longer warranted because of measures that will be instituted in the near future to address such situation,” Canlas said. The structure will be restored whenever the submerged U-turn slot under the viaduct and under the bridge between the boarders of Cebu City and Talisay City is established.

I noticed yesterday morning that the u-turn slot under the viaduct that the access road was being "finished"

I thought to myself    aaahhh  they making a u-turn here under the viaduct and now I see it in the news

You can also see the access road for the u-turn at the talisay end being finished

The viaduct u-turn  is here

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/@10.2859159,123.887471,415m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

and the talisay u-turn is here

https://www.google.com.ph/maps/@10.2605504,123.8724887,413m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edited by Woolf
Goetz1965

The U-Turn slot under the viaduct is a nice idea - but again they have a money to remove the center island instead of installing traffic lights there.
With no center island traffic will get even worse as trucks, taxis and other cars will turn left wherever they just like to.

And also no one cares for the mybus going back to cebu - this has to go south to talisay first and then after 1km has tu U-turn.

As the busdrivers arnt trained at all and the busses are big its always a complete JAM the My-Bus on the outher right (!) lane starts his U-turn and has to wait at the U-turn slaot for the opposing traffic to give way - so My-Bus is blocking all 3 lanes going south to talisay.

The U-Turn slot under the viaduct is a nice idea - but again they have a money to remove the center island instead of installing traffic lights there.

With no center island traffic will get even worse as trucks, taxis and other cars will turn left wherever they just like to.

And also no one cares for the mybus going back to cebu - this has to go south to talisay first and then after 1km has tu U-turn.

As the busdrivers arnt trained at all and the busses are big its always a complete JAM the My-Bus on the outher right (!) lane starts his U-turn and has to wait at the U-turn slaot for the opposing traffic to give way - so My-Bus is blocking all 3 lanes going south to talisay.

I passed that u-turn area the other early evening and the mybus took up 2 of the lanes going south not 3

but I guess it is up to the driver, 2 or 3 lanes south  or 2 or 3 lanes north

the traffic going south at late afternoon early evening is very heavy, while traffic north is light

traffic in the morning is heavy going north

so the driver may opt  for one or the other depending traffic