U.S to build military infrastructures in the Philippines if the EDCA is approved

http://themaharlikan.info/defense/u-s-to-build-military-infrastructures-in-the-philippines-if-the-edca-is-approved/

MANILA, Philippines – The United States government is hoping that the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) between the U.S and the Philippines could be finally decided by the Supreme Court of the Philippines.

A former chief of the US Pacific Command said the approval of the Philippine-US military deal will boost Manila’s maritime security as China continues its island-building spree in the West Philippine Sea.

Retired Admiral Samuel Locklear said the deal known as the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA), coupled with the $79 million in military funding from the US this year, will focus on boosting Philippine maritime domain awareness.

The agreement has been pending before the Philippine Supreme Court for over a year due to questions on its constitutionality. The Court is set to tackle EDCA on December 16, likely issuing a ruling.

“Should the people of the Philippines and your court decide to go forward with the EDCA, what it does is provide a strengthening of the alliance for the 21st century,” Locklear said in an interview with Rappler in Manila.

“You’re a country of over 7,000 islands, a huge archipelago and vast potential EEZs (exclusive economic zones) to have to police and manage. The Filipino Navy and coast guard have a way to go to realize the type of capacity they need to be able to defend such a large area so I think that’s primarily where we’d be,” he added.

Once the EDCA is signed then the U.S will start building military infrastructures inside Philippine military bases that will accommodate U.S troops  and its military arsenals.

Will the same arrangements as Subic Bay be implemented such as a 99 year lease and other restrictions?  

And as a good-will gesture for the US help,  I think the RP should refrain from the tanim-bala practices on visiting Americans  ;) -  hallelujah  !

angbumabasa

Mactan was one desired location. USN was there before. Look around.

Highlighter
Once the EDCA is signed then the U.S will start building military infrastructures inside Philippine military bases that will accommodate U.S troops  and its military arsenals.

The western side of Mindanao would be an ideal location.

smokey

Well this should be in the news debated for 10 years or so .... 99 year lease is only valid for 6 years i heard

Palawan will be where they go. There is already a navy base there and it is closest to the hotspots.

• Like 1
Wolfpack

Palawan will be where they go. There is already a navy base there and it is closest to the hotspots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hay_Air_Base

because the brass like to go there...

but there will be a variety of locations including Cebu...they had a unit of Navy personnel building schools near Carcar for a while after an agreement was reached before...then that scandal broke out with that ladyboy in Olongapo and they withdrew...

arentol

Duterte favors rapproachment with China and even bilateral discussions. If he gets elected, then what affect does that have on this whole issue?

Aren

He could leverage benefits from both of China and USA? The latter wouldn't want to give up on Philippines for sure.

David Spicer

The only place that I've read anything along these lines is in Philippines publications. I'm guessing this is wishful thinking.