Moving to Cebu first time visit

kerryshannon

kerryshannon

Yes, that's right I'm just doing it. I have the income and can live there well. I know several woman and a cousin and friend who live there now...or nearby. 

I think it's essentially not a good idea to ship anything over there because of the price...it's cheaper to buy new stuff there. I intend to bring a carry on bag and another larger bag with everything I "have to have" and buy everything else. I will store some things here just in case I come back but after a year I will just get rid of it if I stay.

I plan on getting married and living there and yes I know to choose the right girl who knows I am not there to support her family but only support her. I have no visa but intend to get one soon after arriving and fairly soon to marry. I will first stay at the Marco Polo for a week while I look for a place to rent between 400 and 500 per month. I will then stay a year and look at options of buying a condo or leasing land and building. I want to stay close to cebu but outside of cebu. I may travel to chiang mai thailand to check it out but I prefer having people around me that mostly speak some english.

Ok, where am I going wrong? What am I doing right?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 2
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnk213

• rep1

• Enuff

• AussieLex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember, you asked.   Would you marry a girl right after meeting her for the first time, in your home country? (I hope your reply would be, "No!")    Okay, then why in hell would you fly halfway

Personally I would recommend the Quest Hotel.  It's close to Ayala Mall.  Good location.  It's a better position than Marco Polo, and much less expensive.   You'll end up spending a lot of cash on t

Kerry, welcome to LinC Forums. I just wrote this in another thread, but I think it applies here as well.   I always caution members to try an area on for a while before committing to it. It is a sad

Posted Images

RogerDuMond

Sounds good to me. The only thing is you get a visa automatically upon entry.

AussieLex

fairly soon to marry.

Take your time dude...find the right girl, don't be in a hurry ... the rest of your plan sounds okay to me. 400 US  month should get you a pretty good place outside of the city. I Personally would recommend the south  but thats because its what I know. Moalboal is particularly nice... on the west side, even CarrCar and points south on the east side of the island is pretty cool.

I live in Pooc in Talisay and I pay 10k a month here for a nice studio.. others living here are paying between 12 and 15 k pesos which is under your budget... sure there are better places but this is not bad at all for location, Swimming pool and beach almost at the door...   we have a guy from the USA, one from the UK, me from Aussie, and a Korean owner married to a Filipina... so a mini united nations so to speak....

I am sure you will get lots of good advice and read the forums here on subjects that interest you. Extending tourist visas is easy and pretty painless now... 

I wish you all the best with your move and hope its all you are looking for ...

• Like 1
MarinePride

I have found electronics, on all levels, to be significantly more expensive here than in the USA.  Just my quick two cents.

• Like 1
contraman

I may travel to chiang mai thailand to check it out but I prefer having people around me that mostly speak some english.

IMHO

Chiang Mai is a very good alternative,

I spend several months a year there and love it.

I have no more problem there with the language than I do in the Philippines.

I would suggest that you read as much as you can here on LinC and Just take it slowly and you will be fine.

• Like 4
Headshot

Kerry, welcome to LinC Forums. I just wrote this in another thread, but I think it applies here as well.

I always caution members to try an area on for a while before committing to it. It is a sad fact that the reality seldom completely matches the dream. Everybody comes here with a dream of the life they think they want to live. However, if you are locked into living in a specific location and lifestyle, and the reality is something you aren't happy with, then it may be a while before you can trade that reality in on a new dream. People should move around when they first get here, and they should a wide variety of locations for a few months at a time. Then, they will have the best shot of matching the reality to the dream. Plan to spend your first year here moving to new locations to get a better fit for you and your dream.

• Like 5
mactanfamily

Why the rush to marry?
Years would be the wise time frame. 

Keep a fair amount of money somewhere as a fallback. Best to have this even years into a marriage. It becomes very tempting to blow it all on land, house, car etc. Living simple is the key.

Leave your expectations at home and dont forget to bring your sense of humor and above all your patience.  

• Like 4
the.lone.gunman

Yes, that's right I'm just doing it. I have the income and can live there well. I know several woman and a cousin and friend who live there now...or nearby.
I think it's essentially not a good idea to ship anything over there because of the price...it's cheaper to buy new stuff there. I intend to bring a carry on bag and another larger bag with everything I "have to have" and buy everything else. I will store some things here just in case I come back but after a year I will just get rid of it if I stay.
I plan on getting married and living there and yes I know to choose the right girl who knows I am not there to support her family but only support her. I have no visa but intend to get one soon after arriving and fairly soon to marry. I will first stay at the Marco Polo for a week while I look for a place to rent between 400 and 500 per month. I will then stay a year and look at options of buying a condo or leasing land and building. I want to stay close to cebu but outside of cebu. I may travel to chiang mai thailand to check it out but I prefer having people around me that mostly speak some english.

Ok, where am I going wrong? What am I doing right?

I think u have a decent plan. I would suggest u have an exit strategy in case u get sick or things don't work out for you. It's nice to know that you can jump on a plane and be home in 24 hours any time u want to or need to.Don't burn your bridges. Living here is a lot different from visiting. Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

I will first stay at the Marco Polo for a week while I look for a place to rent between 400 and 500 per month.

Make it two+ weeks unless you already have realestate contacts here.  Be ready to downgrade a bit from your initial lodgings...  :cool:

You "never" been in the country before?  Your location in avatar says Cebu?

• Like 1

Welcome.....if you get into trouble please say you are a Brit..........that's if you belong to our lot! :beer2:

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

Okay, then why in hell would you fly halfway around the globe, meet a girl whom you had ONLY been talking with online for ______ days / weeks / months, and marry her?

I didn't get that from his original post. Maybe I am not reading into it something that is there, but I am just seeing long range plans and not an immediate marriage. I don't even see where he says that he has been talking to a specific girl.

• Like 1

I didn't get that from his original post. Maybe I am not reading into it something that is there, but I am just seeing long range plans and not an immediate marriage. I don't even see where he says that he has been talking to a specific girl.

His original post had the following sentence in it: 

I have no visa but intend to get one soon after arriving and fairly soon to marry.

Sounds like, to me, he intends on putting a ring on some chick's finger, pretty soon after arriving.

Kerry, I went ahead and moved your account into the Full Member's users, so no more of your posts would be moderated. You can see them right away, and edit them accordingly.

AussieLex

kerryshannon, on 11 Dec 2015 - 1:06 PM, said:   AussieLex, on 11 Dec 2015 - 11:47 AM, said: AussieLex, on 11 Dec 2015 - 11:47 AM, said: AussieLex, on 11 Dec 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:  

Looks like I said a lot of nothing ... laughs, could be  right at that sometimes ...

Lee From Cebu

Just to add to Pauls post find a expat friend asap and hang out with his group you can learn more in a couple hours of real time talking than a month of reading here . Slow your roll if you do not already know this girl and have spent time here . Damn the marco polo for 2 weeks with a new girl sets you up as a super super rich lottery ticket . 

Final advice Never marry the first girl you meet here that is insane

• Like 1