Police: FBI investigating suspicious cell phone purchases in Jackson, Cape Girardeau

Kahuna

http://m.kfvs12.com/kfvs12/db_345749/contentdetail.htm?full=true&contentguid=IGsXS9tK&pn=&ps=#display

(KFVS) - Large quantities of cell phones recently sold at Walmart stores at Jackson, Cape Girardeau, Columbia, Macon, and Lebanon, Mo. have set off some alarms.

Jackson Police Captain Rodney Barnes confirms 48 pre-paid cell phones were purchased at the Walmart in Jackson on Friday, Dec. 4. 

Cape Girardeau Police Chief Wes Blair says up to 10 pre-paid cell phones were purchased the same day at the Cape Girardeau Walmart.

Both the Jackson and Cape Girardeau police departments turned over their investigations to the FBI.

A witness who does not want to be identified says that she and a family member saw a man with several pre-paid cell phones in his shopping cart Friday at the Cape Girardeau Walmart on William Street. She thought it was suspicious and wondered if maybe he was going to re-sell them.

Later that night, the woman said that same family member went to the Jackson Walmart and saw the same man with another individual buying several pre-paid phones.

The witnesses thought  it was suspicious, but didn’t think any more about it until they saw the news headlines about the suspicious phone purchases at other Missouri Walmart locations.

Five or more males purchased multiple pre-paid cell phones at a Walmart in Columbia on Dec. 4.

It happened at the Walmart on Conley Road around 9:30 p.m. on Friday, according to the Columbia Police Department. They reported it to the FBI. Police are investigating if the phones were fraudulently purchased.

The Macon County Sheriff's Office and Macon Police Department are investigating the recent suspicious purchase of multiple cell phones made at the Macon Walmart.

Information has been submitted to the FBI Saint Louis Office and Springfield Office. The information will be analyzed and compared to other occurrences throughout the United States. 

Two men bought 60 cell phones at the Walmart in Lebanon, Mo. shortly before 4 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 5.

Authorities talked to the men, but since they didn't have a legal reason to detain them, officers allowed them to leave.

The Laclede County sheriff notified the FBI.

As for cell phones, investigators say they are potential tools in the hands of terrorists.

The devices can be used to communicate and they are difficult to trace if they are prepaid phones.

They can also be used as detonators for bombs.

The FBI encourages anyone who see anything suspicious to contact local police.

Maybe they were bought by jail guards or others to smuggle into jails/prisons and sold to inmates to supplement their Christmas bonus they got. :cool:

contraman

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Now, another incident has some people wondering if we are in danger of a terrorist attack in our area.

A large number of propane tanks have been reported stolen from several locations is Independence and Lee`s Summit.

At the end of November, a BP gas station in Lee`s Summit reported 18-20 propane tanks stolen from the outside cages. That same night the CVS on Southwest 3rd Street reported the exact same crime.

Two weeks later, the CVS on East 23rd Street in Independence was hit, and 28 tanks were stolen from that location.

Sources within law enforcement say they received an urgent safety email about the propane thefts.

While there are several ways those tanks and cell phones phones can be used, in this climate, terror attacks are always a consideration.

Retired FBI agent Michael Tabman says it is up to law enforcement to investigate and try to connect the dots.

SOURCE

Edited by contraman
  • Like 1
Kahuna

Maybe they were bought by jail guards or others to smuggle into jails/prisons and sold to inmates to supplement their Christmas bonus they got. :cool:

Since you have to know know where prisoners hide these phones,you reckon there's room up there for the propane tanks as well...after all they probably enjoy after hour bbq's just like anyone else.. :hi:

BTW Thank you Contraman for adding the propane thefts to the puzzle.  Honestly it's probably all about cell phone cookout BBQ's and such and no worries about people making bombs or something along those lines. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Gotta connect the dots and share info amongst the various agencies.  Unbelievable what the world has become . 

mactanfamily

I suppose it would be TOO politically correct to name the race of these men?

About two years ago I went into an apartment (I'm the landlord, went to check on plumbing issue). It was a Pakistani guy and on the wall was a silhouette target he or someone else had used at a gun range. It had several center mass perforations in the silhouette.

I called the police, told them, they asked me why I thought it was important. I replied, "see something, say something". They just thought I was a nut I guess. This was in Oklahoma City.

• Like 1
contraman

I suppose it would be TOO politically correct to name the race of these men?

Ava police say a man of Middle Eastern background bought a large number of cellular telephones at the Walmart store in Ava about 6:15 a.m. last Saturday. 
  • Like 2
Kahuna

About two years ago I went into an apartment (I'm the landlord, went to check on plumbing issue). It was a Pakistani guy and on the wall was a silhouette target he or someone else had used at a gun range. It had several center mass perforations in the silhouette.

I called the police, told them, they asked me why I thought it was important. I replied, "see something, say something". They just thought I was a nut I guess. This was in Oklahoma City.

keep up your civic duties and hopefully we'l stop em before they hatch anything  :)

• Like 1
mactanfamily

If you had lived next door to the Jihad couple, they would have most likely been stopped. The present neighbor did NOT call the cops when she saw suspicious activity late at night with many middle eastern men coming and going to the bomb factory garage because she did not want to "look racist". 

• Like 2

If you had lived next door to the Jihad couple, they would have most likely been stopped. The present neighbor did NOT call the cops when she saw suspicious activity late at night with many middle eastern men coming and going to the bomb factory garage because she did not want to "look racist". 

My guess is the cops would not have done anything about a "report" by a citizen of something they considered suspicious. I have dealt with law enforcement for many years about these and other matters and most cops will think you are full of crap and not take it seriously. I have been in Rental property management and it is a whole different world.

I had a duplex next door to another duplex where drug dealers lived on both sides of the neighboring property. The upstairs of my property had an overlooking view of the others backyard and I noticed when a car would pull up to front of house and one person would get out and come to the front door the drug dealer would go to the backyard, stick his hand into a hole in a railroad crosstie retaining wall, take something out, go into the house and return to redeposit his stash when the transaction was over. I witnessed this on several occasions.

I called the police drug trafficing unit twice, they never responded back. There was a patrol car in the neighborhood with the officer not doing much of anything except sitting there. I approached him and told him about this deal. I even offered to take him and/or investigators to see the whole transaction for themselves. NOTHING HAPPENED.

That was just one time, unfortunately there were others with similar results. I've witnessed police brutality which resulted in injury to someone that was defenseless and posing no threat whatever. Police have stolen from me and from my properties. Police have kicked in doors without search warrants leaving me to repair and pay for damage. I've called police and reported thefts with tag numbers and descriptions, with them not responding at all except to send a cop out that stole more stuff. I've heard, "we will take this as evidence" BS on several occasions and never returned anything, not one time.

OK, OK, I'll stop. :paul::bobward: 

There was another case like this some time back,, turns out someone had figured out how to make money reselling the airtime and phones.

LP,  if I wanted to do some damage with limited supplies I would use LP.   But why attract attention to yourself by stealing the tanks,,  far too easy to buy. Jester