Sign in to follow this  
rep1

Deal with rotten drinking water?

throttleplate

i refill my plastic water bottles daily. NOTE, i dont reuse the ones i used to pee in if some people read my reply from another post about broken toilet seats. I buy a fresh waters from the store and refill the bottle using it for maybe a week and then discard it as the cap area starts to smells bad. I have never gotten sick from drinking from them or smelled bad water out of them even after the bottles have baked in the sun while at the swimming pool all day.

angbumabasa

This isn't quite true.  "people in medieval age" brewed beer because the water wasn't potable.  The brewing process killed the bacteria.

Adding alcohol to water does nothing.  this is why one should never have a gin and tonic 'on the rocks' in a 3rd world country - the ice may well have salmonella.

That's why I use distilled water to make ice. And in town I'll drink warm SMG/Emperador before I put local ice in it.

rep1

Dude, just buy the 20 liter bottles, invert it into a water chiller / heater, and fill your small bottles, or cups from the dispenser.

No need to worry about boiling anything. No need to worry about water going "bad".

I did exactly that and water in cup and small bottle go bad very soon. In cup it's less than one hour and in sealed thermal? bottle it starts to have rottem egg smell after a night.

same problem as bottled water of all brands, the smell is different though. I don't thino the source is the problem since it's always fresh when coming out from dispenser.

so.... nobody ever notice that??

PS: I don't use ice at all. Just put whisky into freezer section of fridge.

Edited by aqd

Paul

so.... nobody ever notice that??

I use 20 liter bottles, and fill my 1.5 liter bottles from it, to keep in the refrigerator. Never any issues with them, even if left in the ref for days. 

No worries here. 

rep1

water is always fine in fridge, but not in ambient temperature. I keep a bottle of water aside my bed every night just in case, but it always become bad in the morning, even in thermal bottles where the coldness is preserved.

hmmm perhaps I just need a small icebox in my room.. but I used up my budget to buy some fine whisky in HK :(

RogerDat

We use Natures Spring for 9 years, and very few problems. The inverted bottle dispenser is a bacteria breeder unless cleaned each bottle, AND clean the bottle top (carry handle). We use a Natures Spring bottle neck adapter. 

Do not let sunlight shine directly on your main bottle, store in cool dry place out of light.

Also, your sports bottle can be contaminated, OR the wrong material. I wrap my outside bottle in aluminum foil to control sunlight and heat gain.

post-7667-0-10417200-1449716692_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

spydoo

This isn't quite true.  "people in medieval age" brewed beer because the water wasn't potable.  The brewing process killed the bacteria.

Adding alcohol to water does nothing.  this is why one should never have a gin and tonic 'on the rocks' in a 3rd world country - the ice may well have salmonella.

A much better reason is that gin should be served with vermouth and the ice drained.

hyaku

Funny how the locals sell bottled water but make ice straight from the tap. 

David Spicer

We buy three 5 gallon bottles at a time and they last about a week. If I ever smelled anything unusual I would immediately change vendors. I've yet to smell anything.

rep1

well there is never bad smell from the bottled water directly, unless you expose it to air long enough, or take a sip..

Funny how the locals sell bottled water but make ice straight from the tap.

We did that in Taiwan too when I was little.

Johnny S

Have any of you noticed that bottled drinking water or RO'ed water grow rotten smell very fast after exposed to air? Like after you put water into sport bottle from dispenser (but it's fine inside dispenser), it always ends up badly after a few hours even in sealed bottle - some smell like rotten egg and some are metal, like coming out from old pipe.

I know the cause is probably organic matter in air or my mouth, but how can you suppress it? Would adding a little bit of alcohol help?

Try a little 'baking soda. I used to empty a small pack of baking soda into my pool every couple of weeks, it worked wonders... 

rizla

well there is never bad smell from the bottled water directly, unless you expose it to air long enough, or take a sip..

Sound to me like it is more likely the container you are using, rather than the actual water, perhaps you need a new flask?

• Like 2

cvgtpc1

Has anybody else tried your water so you know you're not crazy?

• Like 2

Bill H

Result for me then.  There is nothing 'on the rocks' that is ever worth drinking ;)

True if you're drinking Saphire!

RogerDuMond

Has anybody else tried your water so you know you're not crazy?

Are those two things mutually exclusive?