Sign in to follow this  
rep1

Deal with rotten drinking water?

rep1

Have any of you noticed that bottled drinking water or RO'ed water grow rotten smell very fast after exposed to air? Like after you put water into sport bottle from dispenser (but it's fine inside dispenser), it always ends up badly after a few hours even in sealed bottle - some smell like rotten egg and some are metal, like coming out from old pipe.

I know the cause is probably organic matter in air or my mouth, but how can you suppress it? Would adding a little bit of alcohol help?

Vulle Vuojas

Would adding a little bit of alcohol help?
No, the thumb of rule is 9.5 cl to each cl of water.    Why do you drink water at all?

rep1

I was not joking. Because I read somewhere that people in medieval age used to mix wine into water to suppress bacteria...

Are there other ways, save putting UV light in my bottle?

Edited by aqd
  • Like 1

Paul

Have any of you noticed that bottled drinking water or RO'ed water grow rotten smell

I'm assuming you mean reverse osmosis? 

I was not joking... Because people in medieval age used to mix wine into water to suppress bacteria...

Are you this anal about everything in your life? 

• Like 2

rep1

I'm assuming you mean reverse osmosis? 

yes. It appears to go bad sooner than boiled tap water, like 4-8 hrs. Especially after heating.

Are you this anal about everything in your life?

as much as I can.

• Like 1

Paul

Dude, just buy the 20 liter bottles, invert it into a water chiller / heater, and fill your small bottles, or cups from the dispenser. 

No need to worry about boiling anything. No need to worry about water going "bad". 

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

Dude, just buy the 20 liter bottles, invert it into a water chiller / heater, and fill your small bottles, or cups from the dispenser. 

No need to worry about boiling anything. No need to worry about water going "bad". 

I have no problems. Just bought one of these heater/coolers, but used a five gallon dispenser before getting this. A bottle lasts me about 2 1/2 days.

I did find that I prefer Albester to others that I have tried. Some of the others have a slight bitter taste to me.

post-6207-0-22260300-1449679369_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Scotsbloke

I was not joking. Because I read somewhere that people in medieval age used to mix wine into water to suppress bacteria...

Are there other ways, save putting UV light in my bottle?

This isn't quite true.  "people in medieval age" brewed beer because the water wasn't potable.  The brewing process killed the bacteria.

Adding alcohol to water does nothing.  this is why one should never have a gin and tonic 'on the rocks' in a 3rd world country - the ice may well have salmonella.

• Like 2

Paul

Adding alcohol to water does nothing.  this is why one should never have a gin and tonic 'on the rocks' in a 3rd world country - the ice may well have salmonella.

Do you realize what you just did? This guy will NEVER drink another mixed drink in the Philippines, EVER again. 

• Like 1

broden

JzesfK2.jpg

just use regular household chlorine bleach

just remember bleach does have a shelf life.. of about 3 to 6 months .. the wide range is because of how long it may take to get from factory to market.

then it loses potency  

• Like 5

Scotsbloke

Do you realize what you just did? This guy will NEVER drink another mixed drink in the Philippines, EVER again. 

Result for me then.  There is nothing 'on the rocks' that is ever worth drinking ;)

• Like 1

colemanlee

Result for me then.  There is nothing 'on the rocks' that is ever worth drinking ;)

Ah, another purist...

Scotsbloke

Ah, another purist...

Not really.....there are just a few things worth drinking......

Before dinner

Dry sherry

Beer

Highland malt whisky

With dinner

Beer

Red wine

White wine

After dinner

Port

Brandy

Island malt (a splash of bottled water allowed)

If soft drinks are preferred then great.  It's the fridge's job to cool them ;)

• Like 3

Paul

JzesfK2.jpg

just use regular household chlorine bleach

just remember bleach does have a shelf life.. of about 3 to 6 months .. the wide range is because of how long it may take to get from factory to market.

then it loses potency  

The most logical reply so far, seems to be to use bleach. 

I didn't, however, realize that it has a shelf life. 

• Like 1

broden

The most logical reply so far, seems to be to use bleach. 

I didn't, however, realize that it has a shelf life. 

most people don't realize it but it is one of those household chemicals that indeed does have a shelf life

• Like 1