Jump to content

Palace suspends Cebu City mayor


Recommended Posts

rainymike

I think the article speaks for itself.

 

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/palace-suspends-cebu-city-mayor/ar-AAgaUof?ocid=spartanntp

 

 

 

Malacañang has suspended Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama for 60 days for alleged violation of the Constitution, grave abuse of authority, grave misconduct and oppression in connection with a demolition he ordered last year.

 

Rama is a member of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) of presidential aspirant Vice President Jejomar Binay.

 

The suspension order was signed by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. on Dec. 2, a source from the Palace said.

 

In October last year, the Office of the President ordered Rama to submit his answer to the complaint filed by Labangon barangay chairman Victor Buendia in relation to the alleged unlawful demolition of the village’s center island and street lighting project along Katipunan street.

 

Based on the complaint, it was Rama who instructed the members of the city hall’s prevention restoration, order, beautification and enhancement team headed by Raquel Arce to demolish the project.

 

Buendia claimed that the P300,000 center island and street lighting project had the permission of the mayor himself even before it was constructed.

 

Rama is facing two administrative cases before the Office of the President, including the one filed by lawyer Reymelio Delute in connection with the granting of P20,000 calamity aid to each of the 4,200 officials and employees of the city last December.

 

State auditors had declared that the granting of the calamity assistance was highly irregular.

 

Rama left the Liberal Party in 2012 to join UNA. He is a cousin of movie actress Annabelle Rama.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
colemanlee

Only in the Philippines...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found nothing this morning in the local newspapers (online or printed) about the suspension of Rama. only source was here in internet:

 

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2015/12/09/1530706/palace-suspends-cebu-city-mayor.

 

so my first thought was, this is an old news. or this information should be suppressed.....?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cebu Daily News

 

Local news  4:03 PM | Wednesday, December 9th, 2015

 

DILG to issue statement on Rama suspension

 

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/77551/palace-to-issue-statement-on-rama-suspension

 

another  one

 

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/746127/dilg-chief-says-cebu-city-mayor-did-not-have-outburst-at-main-office

Link to post
Share on other sites

SunStar

 

No Mike Rama for 60 days

 

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2015/12/09/no-mike-rama-60-days-446193

 

Wednesday, December 09, 2015

 

 

victor.jpg?itok=xo-OkOJL

 

Missing an Island.  Labangon Barangay Captain Victor Buendia, a Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan candidate for the Cebu City Council, shows where the median structure was built using barangay funds, but removed on Mayor Michael Rama’s orders. Buendia filed the grave abuse and oppression complaint that led Malacañang to order the mayor’s preventive suspension. (Sun.Star P

photo/Alex Badayos)

 

 

AN ORDER to suspend Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama for 60 days has reached the local interior and local government department, which may enforce it today.

Regional Director Rene Burdeos of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) confirmed last night that he already received a copy of the order from Malacañang.

The preventive suspension resulted from a complaint a barangay captain filed in early 2014, over the allegedly unlawful demolition of a median structure or center island and a street lighting project on Katipunan St.

Rama was expected to arrive in Manila last night from his trip to Paris, France. He is scheduled to arrive in Cebu to attend the opening of Robinsons Galleria this afternoon.

Hours before the local DILG confirmed it had received the order, Labangon Barangay Captain Victor Buendia asked the agency to implement the suspension.

Kung naa na man gani na (If it’s ready), it should be implemented immediately. Di nila dugay-dugayon (They shouldn’t dilly-dally). If ever tinuod ni, this is partial justice for the people of Labangon against an abusive and disoriented mayor,” said Buendia.

The order was reportedly signed last Dec. 2 by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa Jr. Buendia has accused the mayor of grave abuse of authority, grave misconduct, and oppression.

But Acting Mayor Edgardo Labella said the City will avail itself of legal remedies or go to court.

Demolition

In a press conference he called at the barangay hall yesterday, Buendia said he has not yet seen the suspension order himself.

The project that triggered the complaint was expected to cost P1 million. When the City demolished it, Buendia said, the partial works for the project already cost more than P300,000.

Buendia said it was unfair of Rama to demolish the project when he had given the go-signal for it in the first place.

“This is a good example for public officials nga di diay ta pwede nga ig-lingkod nato, kita na lang magbuot kung unsa atong gustong buhaton (to remember that when we serve, we cannot insist on doing everything our way),” he added.

Aside from the administrative case that he filed before the Office of the President, Buendia has also filed a civil case on the same issue before the Regional Trial Court. That is still pending.

The mayor is also facing another administrative case before the Office of the President pertaining to the release of P20,000 each in calamity assistance in 2013.

Labella, in a separate interview yesterday, said the City has not yet received the preventive suspension order, which he believes has no basis.

Authority

He showed reporters a copy of a letter from Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) District Engineer Fernando Cruz dated March 7, 2014 to Buendia, in which he ordered the barangay to remove the 28-meter structure built in the middle of Salvador-Katipunan St.

“We would like to inform that said structure posed danger to the traveling public and (is) a clear violation of the policies stipulated in the Philippine Highway Act. Hence, please be advised to immediately remove the said structure,” Cruz had said.

Labella said that the City cited the letter when it answered Buendia’s complaint.

Labella also said what the mayor approved was only the design and costing or the program of works and estimates for the project, subject to compliance with DPWH requirements, among others.

“DPWH did not issue a clearance. In other words, it was an illegal construction. It was constructed without the nod of DPWH. For which reason, the mayor in the exercise of his authority ordered the removal of the structure. The mayor did not violate anything,” he said.

Labella, a lawyer like Rama, then cited Section 16 or the general welfare clause of the Local Government Code, which states that “every local government unit shall exercise the powers expressly granted, those necessarily implied therefrom, as well as powers necessary, appropriate, or incidental for its efficient and effective governance, and those which are essential to the promotion of the general welfare.”

Labella also said that if the suspension order was indeed signed last Dec. 2, it was made in “bad taste” since DILG also issued to Rama the authority to travel to Paris starting Dec. 2 to attend the climate change summit there.

‘Disturbing’

“It is really disturbing that they issued the authority to travel and at the same time ilang suspensohon (they ordered his suspension). Is there not some element of treachery? I would not say it is illegal but it is a matter of propriety. It is in bad taste. Pardon me for using the word,” he said.

Labella then said he and the City lawyers will study the possibility of filing a motion for reconsideration before Malacañang or going to the Court of Appeals.
Considering the timing, Labella believes the suspension is politically motivated.

Buendia, for his part, said he expected that supporters and allies of the mayor will say the suspension order is politically motivated.

Asked what may be the scenario at City Hall if the mayor will be suspended, Labella said he hopes it will not create chaos, particularly among Team Rama supporters.

Atong gi-advisan atong lumalaban nga nasakitan aning nahitabo nga mag-malinawon lang sila, magma-bugnawon (We have advised our supporters who are hurt by this to stay orderly and calm). Dili lang ta mag-init sa atong ulo di pareha sa uban nga (Let us rein in our temper, unlike others who are) taking the law into their own hands,” he said.

 

 

Edited by Woolf
Link to post
Share on other sites
Goetz1965

Nice gesture from his friends - giving him a 60 day christmas holiday :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cebu Daily News

 

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/77656/77656

 

DILG serves Rama’s suspension order

 

12:10 PM | Thursday, December 10th, 2015

 

 

 

 
A-
 
120915jhm229.jpg

Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG-7) regional director Atty. Rene K. Burdeos (2nd from right) and Atty. Aiza Fiel A. Arcenal-Nogra taped copies of the two months preventive suspension order at the glass door of Cebu City mayor Michael Rama’ office after the mayor’s staff refused to receive it. (CDN PHOTO/JUNJIE MENDOZA)

The 60-day suspension order for Cebu City Mayor Mike Rama was served past 10 a.m. today in City Hall.

A copy was taped outside the glass door of his office by Regional Director Rene Burdeos of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) 7.

12355336_10207275770525577_291564189_n.j

Copies of the preventive suspension order were taped to the glass door of Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama’s office. (CDN PHOTO/ JOSE SANTINO BUNACHITA)

Mayor Rama wasn’t in.

Rama just got back from an official trip to Paris but hasn’t reported to City Hall yet. He is still officially on leave.

Burdeos said starting today, Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella will sit as acting mayor.

“It’s okay (even if Rama is not in his office). The rules of court allow that if he’s not there or if he doesn’t receive the order, we can tender it to his staff. And if they don’t receive it, we can post it in his office which we did. It’s still a valid service,” Burdeos said.

Labella will take over as as acting mayor to ensure the city government functions smoothly.

The preventive suspension, which is not a penalty, arises from an ongoing administrative complaint filed by Labangon barangay captain Victor Buendia over the 2014 demolition of a center island and lighting project in the barangay.

Burdeos said his office received the official copy of the order last night .

“As recommended by the DILG, respondent Mayor Michael L. Rama, Cebu City, is hereby placed under preventive suspension for a period of 60 days, effective upon receipt of this Order, pending investigation of the charges filed against him,” read the four-page order.

CV1b8yuUAAAXGA1.jpg

City hall lawyer Carl Sasuman and protocol officer Leslie Ann Reyes ripped off the copies as they will need it as attachment to their petition for certiorari.

It was  signed by Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, Jr.

City hall lawyer Carl Sasuman and lawyer and protocol officer Leslie Ann Reyes ripped off the taped copies of the order at around 11:30 a.m.

Burdeos told Cebu Daily News that he was told that the City Hall lawyers had to rip off the copies because they will need to attach it to their petition for certiorari.

“That’s okay because they had a valid reason. My staff also told me that someone from the City Hall called up our office to ask for a certified true copy of the order. We will send them,” he said.

 

 

Edited by Woolf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible, 20,000 to 4200 government officials , that still received pay while sitting at home, but almost nothing for the average man, sounds familiar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible, 20,000 to 4200 government officials , that still received pay while sitting at home, but almost nothing for the average man, sounds familiar.

 

 

Where did that come from??

do you have a reference to the above information?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
musicman666

Does anyone know why real suspensions are dealt out to only alleged misdemeanours ....?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, but looking at the photo, it seems that street is very narrow to be putting up a structure down the middle of the street.  What's the point of it anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites
musicman666

Well to my mind Rama has taken upon himself to tackle traffic which seems to be the number one stumbling block preventing Cebu to flourish as a major economic hub....how ironic that he has now been taken out of the game as a result of trying to free up traffic flow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
contraman

This seems to be a regular occurence with Mayors.

I believe that the Dumanjug Mayor was also suspended and the Deputy Mayor of Liloan is trying to get the Mayor there suspended. :idontknow:

Link to post
Share on other sites
rainymike

Where did that come from??

do you have a reference to the above information?? 

 

From the OP 

 

 

Rama is facing two administrative cases before the Office of the President, including the one filed by lawyer Reymelio Delute in connection with the granting of P20,000 calamity aid to each of the 4,200 officials and employees of the city last December.

 

State auditors had declared that the granting of the calamity assistance was highly irregular.

 

I think this one could be much more serious than some procedural beef about road construction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...