Public warned over ‘holiday stress’

oztony

Thoughts anyone?....... This sort of reminds me of the nappy type thinking when the pope was visiting, 

It just maybe too risky to celebrate xmas , especially if you have no self control over how much you eat and drink...

While the Yuletide season is undeniably filled with joy, the public must be aware that there is such thing as “holiday stress” which can possibly take away the Christmas happiness.
 “Traffic, crowds, and shopping wear down holidaymakers… It’s certainly not a fun way to spend the holidays,” said PCP Foundation President Anthony Leachon.

According to him, the public should be cautious of the so-called “holiday stress” which could lead to heart attack and stroke, among others. To note, compared with any other time of the year, more people suffer from these illnesses during the Yuletide season.

“More people suffer heart attack and stroke in Christmas time. Worse, sufferers are more likely to die than any other time of year,” Leachon noted.

He said there is an “informal survey” of Metro Manila hospitals from 2004 to 2008 which revealed that there is tripling of emergencies and admissions during Christmas season. It was showed that cases of heart attack and stroke rose to 153 in December 2004; 163 in 2005; 172 in 2006; 170 in 2007; and 170 in 2008.

The PCP president said the number higher when compared to only about 30 to 50 cases being reported from January to November.

Earlier, the Department of Health (DOH) urged the public to plan well all their Christmas activities in order to prevent tension and stress. They should also avoid crowded areas as diseases multiply and spread easily in areas that are not airy and well-ventilated.

Moreover, DOH said people must have enough sleep in order to give their mind and body time to rest.

by Charina Clarisse L. Echaluce

December 6, 2015

http://www.mb.com.ph/public-warned-over-holiday-stress/

• Like 2

Thoughts anyone?....... This sort of reminds me of the nappy type thinking when the pope was visiting, 

It just maybe too risky to celebrate xmas , especially if you have no self control over how much you eat and drink...

While the Yuletide season is undeniably filled with joy, the public must be aware that there is such thing as “holiday stress” which can possibly take away the Christmas happiness.

“Traffic, crowds, and shopping wear down holidaymakers… It’s certainly not a fun way to spend the holidays,” said PCP Foundation President Anthony Leachon.

According to him, the public should be cautious of the so-called “holiday stress” which could lead to heart attack and stroke, among others. To note, compared with any other time of the year, more people suffer from these illnesses during the Yuletide season.

“More people suffer heart attack and stroke in Christmas time. Worse, sufferers are more likely to die than any other time of year,” Leachon noted.

He said there is an “informal survey” of Metro Manila hospitals from 2004 to 2008 which revealed that there is tripling of emergencies and admissions during Christmas season. It was showed that cases of heart attack and stroke rose to 153 in December 2004; 163 in 2005; 172 in 2006; 170 in 2007; and 170 in 2008.

The PCP president said the number higher when compared to only about 30 to 50 cases being reported from January to November.

Earlier, the Department of Health (DOH) urged the public to plan well all their Christmas activities in order to prevent tension and stress. They should also avoid crowded areas as diseases multiply and spread easily in areas that are not airy and well-ventilated.

Moreover, DOH said people must have enough sleep in order to give their mind and body time to rest.

by Charina Clarisse L. Echaluce

December 6, 2015

http://www.mb.com.ph/public-warned-over-holiday-stress/

Christmas is the birthday of Jesus and is meant to be about family & fellowship. Santa Claus causes heart attacks & stress.

As the world starts to embrace Christmas as being a holiday about gifts instead of family this trend will continue.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

too many people use Christmas as a competition .. either with themselves or their neighbors or family, over lights or who got the best gift or put out the perfect meal...

in the past one place i worked people got in the habit of buying gifts for all their coworkers and it was obvious some were hurting themselves trying to stretch their budgets to afford that... so i told them we should stop .. maybe do a secret santa instead or have a pot luck.. everyone liked the pot luck so we went with that.. and you could see the relief on several people right away. you could see it in their work too.

aside from overspending or over doing things one way or another the other people i see stress out the most are those that wait for the last minute possible then try to do everything. shopping cooking cards what have you

Headshot

too many people use Christmas as a competition .. either with themselves or their neighbors or family, over lights or who got the best gift or put out the perfect meal...

in the past one place i worked people got in the habit of buying gifts for all their coworkers and it was obvious some were hurting themselves trying to stretch their budgets to afford that... so i told them we should stop .. maybe do a secret santa instead or have a pot luck.. everyone liked the pot luck so we went with that.. and you could see the relief on several people right away. you could see it in their work too.

aside from overspending or over doing things one way or another the other people i see stress out the most are those that wait for the last minute possible then try to do everything. shopping cooking cards what have you

Yeah...but even today you hope your "boss" will buy you something for Christmas...  :cool:

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Yeah...but even today you hope your "boss" will buy you something for Christmas...  :cool:

nah .. i've had plenty of Christmas's i just make sure the kiddo and the wife get stuff

though there is something to be said for the gift of allowing others to get you something cause it means something to them to do so.. i had to explain that to a family member years ago

• Like 1
Headshot

nah .. i've had plenty of Christmas's i just make sure the kiddo and the wife get stuff

though there is something to be said for the gift of allowing others to get you something cause it means something to them to do so.. i had to explain that to a family member years ago

We are trying to teach our 4-year-old daughter about gift-giving this year...how Christmas is about giving rather than receiving. She has a piggy bank that we put spare change into for her, but she is only allowed to use the money to get gifts for others at Christmas. Even though she didn't have to earn the money, she still gets to have the joy of giving. Neither my wife or I want any Gimme-Pigs living in our house who are only worried about what they get rather than how they can make others happy through giving.

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
We are trying to teach our 4-year-old daughter about gift-giving this year.

well what ever she gets me will get here after Christmas for sure

but i'll be sure to send a great reaction photo when i open it

there is very little like really getting someone the perfect gift. and having it be a surprise also.. not just something they asked for and or knew they were getting 

so when getting a gift you should also do your part of giving the proper reaction .. no matter what

• Like 1

My Kids are grown up now, I always ask what they want, need,

I don't see the point of giving them something they do not want .

when they were little, I found that the box was as much, or more fun for them, than the toy..

contraman

We are trying to teach our 4-year-old daughter about gift-giving this year...how Christmas is about giving rather than receiving. She has a piggy bank that we put spare change into for her, but she is only allowed to use the money to get gifts for others at Christmas. Even though she didn't have to earn the money, she still gets to have the joy of giving. Neither my wife or I want any Gimme-Pigs living in our house who are only worried about what they get rather than how they can make others happy through giving.

Glad you're not my dad :idontknow:

• Like 1
Headshot

Glad you're not my dad :idontknow:

Me too. That would make me like older than dirt...  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

BTW, you don't need to worry about her. She still gets lots of fun presents for Christmas (and Santa always gets the thing she wants most). We just want her to learn how to give as well as receive.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

12321479_10153729117252645_8816941671567

• Like 2
mactanfamily

My best memories as a kid were the holidays and I owe that to my parents. i can actually remember the raw and pure excitement. The smells, the food, family and music, Now, it's about making sure the kids feel the same joy that I did. 

The worst christmas memory I ever had was returning home from SM gift buying and sitting in 4 hours of traffic. Now that was stress.  

• Like 1