Uber launched in Cebu last night

I highly recommend giving Uber a try if you have not done before. The press release is included below. 

Highlighting Uber’s launch in Cebu is the city’s Rider Zero — world-renowned and multi-awarded furniture designer Kenneth Cobonpue. His work with local Philippine materials to create beautiful furniture and designs is a testament to his impeccable taste and to all Cebuano’s forward-thinking. We hope to take this same mindset as the innovation behind Uber brings safe, convenient, and reliable rides to Cebu.

Beginning 8AM tomorrow, Thursday December 3rd, 2015, Uber partners will be ready to take your ride requests. Experience the 5-star service Uber has become known for — to and from anywhere in Metro Cebu: from Consolacion to Talisay, and all of Mactan*.

GET 20% OFF ALL RIDES THIS WEEK

To celebrate our soft-launch, sign up and and enter the promotion code ‘HELLOCEBU’ and ALL rides you take this week (December 3 – 9, 2015) will be at 20% off. This will work for all new and existing users, for rides taken in Cebu.**

If you were not able to enter the promotion code upon signup, simply select the PROMOTIONS tab on the app to enter the promo code.

HOW TO GET RIDING
  • Download the app for iOS, Android, or Windows Phone and sign up for an account. Alternatively, you can sign up here.
  • Don’t forget to enter the promotion code ‘HELLOCEBU’ to take advantage of our 20% soft-launch promotion.
  • On the app, set your pickup location, and REQUEST for a ride.
  • Meet your driver when he/she arrives. On the app, you’ll see the exact location of your ride, the driver-partner’s name, license plate, and vehicle make. You can also use the CONTACTfeature to get in touch with him/her directly.
  • Enjoy the ride! Uber is a cashless experience. After the trip, the payment method you signed up with will be charged and you will receive an email receipt.

PRO TIP:  For this soft-launch phase, high demand is expected. If you are unable to get a ride, please be patient. Know that we will continue to work to ensure Uber’s consistent reliability.

Feedback is welcome! Should you encounter any problems or have any questions or concerns, you can use the app’s HELP feature, or get in touch with our 24/7 Support team via [email protected].

Uber on!

Your Uber Cebu Team

• Like 7

ABS-CBN News said the LTFRB only approved UBER to operate 10 units here... hopefully they will be able to operate more.

lol @ taxi drivers "who feel the could lose their passengers to uber vehicles which are in better shape" in that video.....

They will not lose me as a passenger to the uber vehicles being in better shape... they will lose me as a passenger to the uber drivers that will not be trying to scam me on the fare.

• Like 4
the.lone.gunman

Enjoy the ride! Uber is a cashless experience. After the trip, the payment method you signed up with will be charged and you will receive an email receipt.

I would never use it unless i could pay cash. My trust level is ZERO.

• Like 1

Enjoy the ride! Uber is a cashless experience. After the trip, the payment method you signed up with will be charged and you will receive an email receipt.

I would never use it unless i could pay cash. My trust level is ZERO.

I personally enjoy the cashless experience.. however in the Philippines they actually started taking cash payments http://cnnphilippines.com/metro/2015/11/04/Uber-tests-cash-payment-in-Metro-Manila.html. I didn't know about the 10 cars though.. hope can still get one to the nightclub tonight.  

however in the Philippines they actually started taking cash payments

I think we can safely say, the vast majority of Filipinos do NOT carry credit / debit cards on them. I'm sure, in time, that will change. Good business move on their part. 

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Well let's see how many whinge and moan about uber. If uber can't make you happy than nothing will.

• Like 3

I assume it will not go down well, if the local taxis start losing business

Any ideas how many extra 'drive by shooting' will happen,   as it seems life has no / little value there.

contraman

I think we can safely say, the vast majority of Filipinos do NOT carry credit / debit cards on them. I'm sure, in time, that will change. Good business move on their part. 

Many of the larger companies pay their employees direct into accounts and these are accessed via Debit cards

So it may be surprising just how many have access to this facility.

If they are not working, there is less likelihood of them using Uber :twocents:

Subject of a topic of its own 

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/89618-qc-court-halts-uber-grabcar/#entry1157037

liquido

I take it that they will NOT be able to pick you up at the airport?

delancey

They may be getting the bugs out. I booked and it said 3 minutes ETA in dead rush hour. I contacted the driver since that was amazing.

His texts were in very good English. He indicated he was in very heavy traffic 30 minutes away. I don't think it was my GPS since it works ok for Grab Taxi.

UBER indicated that this private driver had a MITSUBISHI SUV, but I cancelled due to distance.

Attempts at modernization are 100% positive. Good news.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I take it that they will NOT be able to pick you up at the airport?

They can and they do at NAIA.

There is no way they could ever stop it here in the Philippines. There are so many people who have private drivers and/or arrange for car service pick up at the airport. They could never make any accurate or worthwhile distinction. 

This is one country where they would never be able to regulate Uber at the airport. 

• Like 2

What's the point of having 10 units??

And how much would it cost compared to white taxi? double?

I'm fine with cashless but it's direct credit card payment, not some paypal subscription which customers can easily cancel on their side. What happens if someone use your identity and the uber website is down?

• Administrator
Dafey

I highly recommend giving Uber a try if you have not done before

I use Uber in the states extensively. Cheaper, nicer ride and very accommodating. My guess is it wll take a while to get it's legs but I hope it catches on. I can page a driver on my smart phone and know the fare before I make that page. Tip is included and it is paid out of my account so no cash needed.

• Like 1