Women in combat, US

UPDATED:DEC 03 2015 04:53PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Thursday ordered the military to open all combat jobs to women, rebuffing requests by the Marine Corps to exclude women from certain front-line combat jobs.

Declaring that "we are a joint force," Carter said that while moving women into these jobs will present challenges, the military can no longer afford to exclude half of the population from grueling military jobs. He said that any man or woman who meets the standards should be able to serve, and he gave the armed services 30 days to submit plans to make the historic change.

Carter's order opens the final 10 percent of military positions to women, and allows them to serve in the military's most demanding and difficult jobs, including as special operations forces, such as the Army Delta units and Navy SEALs.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, Gen. Joseph Dunford, former Marine Corps commandant, had argued that the Marines should be allowed to keep women out of certain front-line combat jobs, citing studies showing that mixed-gender units aren't as capable as all-male units. Carter said he came to a different conclusion, but he said the integration of women into the combat jobs will be deliberate and methodical and will address the Marine Corps concerns.

Dunford did not attend the news conference to announce the change, and when asked about that absence, Carter said he has discussed his decision multiple times with the chairman. In a prepared statement, Dunford said he provided his best military advice on the issue, and now his focus is "to lead the full integration of women in a manner that maintains our joint warfighting capability, ensures the health and welfare of our people, and optimizes how we leverage talent across the joint force."

While noting that, on average, men and women have different physical abilities, Carter said the services must assign tasks and jobs based on ability, rather than on gender. He said that would likely result in smaller numbers of women in some jobs. Equal opportunity, he said, will not mean equal participation in some specialty jobs. But he added that combat effectiveness is still the main goal, and there will be no quotas for women in any posts.

The decision comes after several years of study, and will wipe away generations of limits on how and where women can fight for their country.

Only the Marine Corps sought any exceptions in removing the long-held ban on allowing women to serve in dangerous combat jobs. The Army, Navy and Air Force have moved steadily toward allowing women to serve in all posts, and only the most risky jobs remain closed.

A senior defense official said the services will have to begin putting plans in place by April 1. The official was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Edited by Daddy
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spydoo

• colemanlee

• diverdon

• Daddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm no Muslim.   But, I will agree our bodies are different. We men are the bigger, physically stronger sex for a reason. We are supposed to be the ones who go to battle.   I have to stand by my "

For those that belive women should be carrying a crew served weapon in a combat zone. Read this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/09/10/marine-experiment-finds-women-get-injured

I have no doubts  that women can be even more proficient killers than men. The difficulties will arise when the the men do their damndest to protect the women regardless of the consequences.   This

Posted Images

colemanlee

I have to disagree with my Marine Corp on this one...its not always physical strength...only takes about 5lbs to pull a trigger (2.5 if you got one of mine) and women are some of the most vicious creatures on the planet....  

edit sp

Edited by colemanlee

They can be formidable when they have PMS and a weapon.   :frantic:  :frantic:

I have no doubts  that women can be even more proficient killers than men. The difficulties will arise when the the men do their damndest to protect the women regardless of the consequences.

This ain't Starship Troopers or Alien yet.

• Like 1

The down side I would think of woman in war,  is, if they get captured..  not sure how they would handle been rapped repeatedly, what that will do to their mental health, and how they will coupe in the real world once they get released.

You men who can't discern that God made men and women for different roles should be ashamed at having allowed yourselves to be brainwashed by the weak and twisted elements of society. Man up.

colemanlee

You men who can't discern that God made men and women for different roles should be ashamed at having allowed yourselves to be brainwashed by the weak and twisted elements of society. Man up.

Thanks for that absolutely brilliant observation...its very similar to what Muslims believe...who will you use for cattle next year?

I'm no Muslim.

But, I will agree our bodies are different. We men are the bigger, physically stronger sex for a reason. We are supposed to be the ones who go to battle.

I have to stand by my "old school" feelings and thoughts on this. Women should not be in combat. 

Call me a chauvinist. (Fine. Because I am one.) But, there are just things I don't agree with women doing. Going into battle is one of those things. Support positions behind the lines? Fine.

• Like 5

Thanks for that absolutely brilliant observation...its very similar to what Muslims believe...who will you use for cattle next year?

Understanding men and women are different only results in mistreatment of women by wicked men. They are the weaker sex and made to be mens' help-mates. Men should care for them because of that weakness, and love them because they are lovable and it's the right thing to do. 

There was no implication in my post that I am anything like a Muslim, nor that I treat women as cattle. You're missing the intelligent and obvious middle-ground that even nature shows us to be the right way to live.

Who wears the trousers in your house? If it's you, then you are showing you inherently understand and the natural role of a man, and expect women to adhere to theirs as well.

colemanlee

Paul, your right our bodies are different..but having served with WM's for years...a lot of them I have known would do just fine in combat..I think the valid argument here is not whether they can do it, be in combat, but whether they will be a distraction to men combatants...as men have a natural tendency to protect women...hopefully, the women that do apply for combat positions will not be the type that bring that out in a man...believe me the Marine Corp have plenty of that type...The Israeli army has proved it can be done successfully as did the Russian army in WW2

RogerDuMond

Who wears the trousers in your house? If it's you, then you are showing you inherently understand and the natural role of a man, and expect women to adhere to theirs as well.

Don't get into the macho crap about male dominance again, it doesn't belong in this topic.

Paul, your right our bodies are different..but having served with WM's for years...a lot of them I have known would do just fine in combat..I think the valid argument here is not whether they can do it, be in combat, but whether they will be a distraction to men combatants...as men have a natural tendency to protect women...hopefully, the women that do apply for combat positions will not be the type that bring that out in a man...believe me the Marine Corp have plenty of that type...The Israeli army has proved it can be done successfully as did the Russian army in WW2

I say, as long as they don't change the mental or physical requirements for any job, let them try and see how it works out.

• Like 1

Don't get into the macho crap about male dominance again, it doesn't belong in this topic.

I say, as long as they don't change the mental or physical requirements for any job, let them try and see how it works out.

Actually it's exactly what this thread is about: whether it is appropriate for women to take on roles that men have tradtionally held. Please don't use your position as mod to censor my point of view. If you disagree with me, post about it.

Edited by spydoo
  • Like 1
RogerDuMond

Actually it's exactly what this thread is about: whether it is appropriate for women to take on roles that men have tradtionally held. Please don't use your position as mod to censor my point of view. If you disagree with me, post about it.

And that is fine to comment on that but don't continue to comment on your opinion of male dominance.

colemanlee

If you disagree with me, post about it.

Sure, I personally think you let a strangely held religious belief determine everything you say not much different from those that follow Sharia law and detrimental to society as a whole and cant help but wonder why you of all people would even care what the American Military does...