RA7610, AN ACT PROVIDING FOR STRONGER DETERRENCE AND SPECIAL PROTECTION AGAINST CHILD ABUSE, EXPLOITATION AND DISCRIMINATION, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

mikewright

It must be frustrating for those expats living in the Philippines full time.

The thought that I could be challenged for having my own daughter with me is beyond me.

But before those do gooders here pipe in and say it is legal for her to be with me, There

is still the chance that I may have to prove it

:(

Is this really so bad?

I have to prove I'm not driving under the influence every time I'm pulled over for a breathalyzer test.

In most places where you are suspected of a crime the police will question you. But so far as I am aware the police aren't pulling over every foreigner seen in a public place with a minor. The reported cases seem where the police have genuine suspicions, people picked up at ports travelling with unrelated minors, or in being in rooms in resorts with them. I'll be travelling around the Philippines with my daughter next month, and if I'm questioned I'll put it down to the police doing their job. No big deal, happy to see them doing their job.

If the enforcement of the law causes some slight inconvenience, such as having to show we are related, but catches a few of the low lifes, I'm all for it. If that makes me a "do gooder", I can live with that :).

• Like 3
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• contraman

• colemanlee

• mikewright

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would imagine it is much worse there than here. This is a very affluent community, every house on my street is nicer than ours with new cars in the driveway. It just bothers me as I often hang out i

I was interrogated by police in Davao one time about traveling with an underage girl, while the girl was whisked away to a separate room and drilled. They did not want to believe that the girl was ind

Of course we are under the law of the Philippines.   The point I was making here was, as an American Citizen, even if the law of the land in the Philippines WERE 12 years - age of consent, it would

Posted Images

AussieLex
I'll be travelling around the Philippines with my daughter next month, and if I'm questioned I'll put it down to the police doing their job.

I would make sure I had my daughters birth certificate, my marriage certificate and my photo id with me at the very least .... otherwise one could spend time in jail and the daughter whisked off to DSWD until identities etc can be established to the satisfaction of the police doing the investigating... it would be interesting to hear how you faired after your trip away ...

Added: An additional thought ... how do you prove your daughter is the girl you have the birth certificate for,  not some other little girl... I hope that common sense would prevail but there is nothing common about sense here ...

Edited by AussieLex
  • Like 3
SkyMan
I have to prove I'm not driving under the influence every time I'm pulled over for a breathalyzer test.

Try to drive in a straighter line.  j/k  Not sure about Oz but in the US you have to at least give them suspicion before they test you.  

I'll be travelling around the Philippines with my daughter next month, and if I'm questioned I'll put it down to the police doing their job. No big deal, happy to see them doing their job.

If the enforcement of the law causes some slight inconvenience, such as having to show we are related,

Ok, so they ask you what's up and you say this is my daughter and she says you're her dad.  How do you prove that?  No pics on BCs.  If you're asked if she's related that's one thing but how would you feel about a few hours in a police station? Maybe a DSWD representative interrogating your daughter in another room?

Edited by SkyMan

I think some are over reacting to an imagined event.  How many people accompanying their own children have been subject to interrogation in a police station over their relationship? Misunderstandings can occur but are usually cleared up with a conversation. 

• Like 3
mikewright
Try to drive in a straighter line. j/k Not sure about Oz but in the US you have to at least give them suspicion before they test you.

No, in Oz we have random breath testing, no suspicion needed.

Ok, so they ask you what's up and you say this is my daughter and she says you're her dad. How do you prove that? No pics on BCs. If you're asked if she's related that's one thing but how would you feel about a few hours in a police station? Maybe a DSWD representative interrogating your daughter in another room?

Her picture is on her Philippine ID certificate and both our details are on the Report of Birth form stamped by the Philippine Consulate.

Are you aware of any incidents of foreigners spending hours in a police station having to identify their daughters? Not saying it couldn't happen, but haven't heard of any such incidents to date.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 1
Headshot

Ok, so they ask you what's up and you say this is my daughter and she says you're her dad.  How do you prove that?  No pics on BCs.  If you're asked if she's related that's one thing but how would you feel about a few hours in a police station? Maybe a DSWD representative interrogating your daughter in another room?

I would suppose that would be more likely with a step-daughter (who bears no physical resemblance to you) than with your daughter by blood (where there is usually at least some resemblance between father and a daughter).

• Like 1
contraman

Another Can-O-Worms

I hope I never have it fed up to me :idontknow:

• Like 1
shadow

I think some are over reacting to an imagined event.  How many people accompanying their own children have been subject to interrogation in a police station over their relationship? Misunderstandings can occur but are usually cleared up with a conversation

I was interrogated by police in Davao one time about traveling with an underage girl, while the girl was whisked away to a separate room and drilled. They did not want to believe that the girl was indeed my wife, and she was 32 years old. They dismissed her drivers license as fake. It took a phone call the the Dumaguete mayor who knew us before they finally were convinced they had made an error. If it were not for that political connection, no telling how long we may have spent there.

• Like 8

I was interrogated by police in Davao one time about traveling with an underage girl, while the girl was whisked away to a separate room and drilled. They did not want to believe that the girl was indeed my wife, and she was 32 years old. They dismissed her drivers license as fake. It took a phone call the the Dumaguete mayor who knew us before they finally were convinced they had made an error. If it were not for that political connection, no telling how long we may have spent there.

So are you the exception or the rule?  Thanks for your imput. 

Tullioz

The police, or who ever is doing the questioning, will be observing the child's behavior and appearance to determine whether or not the relationship is normal. They will be looking at the child's body language to see if she is acting nervous or unnatural, if she does not look them in the eyes or is obviously avoiding eye contact, if she seems confused or unfamiliar with the surroundings, those are a few signs that something is not right. Also if the adult does not allow the child to speak or interrupts the child when they are answering a question that is directed to the child, this would be another sign that something inappropriate is going on. They will also be looking at the way the child is dressed. For example if the child looks to be in her early teens and is wearing a very short skirt, a tight fitting top and wearing a lot of make up, that may lead to further questions being asked. These are just a few examples and if some these things are observed, then it is possible that the two may be taken to the police station and separated for further questioning. These are also things we as expats should be watching out for as well if we see someone with a minor.

Despite what many think, law enforcement and social workers here in the Philippines are well trained and know the things to watch for when it comes to child abuse and trafficking. I have never heard or read of a case where someone has been taken to the police station and detained without additional circumstances involved. I saw where someone here mentioned that a friend or theirs was detained and questioned and maybe there is some truth to that, but that account seemed to be more about extortion by a dishonest individual and not a good example of someone being detained because they were actually thought to be abusing the child. But even if that was the case, if it were my child or relative I would appreciate the attention to detail and even if it turned out to be quite a hassle, I would thank them for being concerned for the welfare of the child.

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1
contraman

The police, or who ever is doing the questioning, will be observing the child's behavior and appearance to determine whether or not the relationship is normal. They will be looking at the child's body language to see if she is acting nervous or unnatural, if she does not look them in the eyes or is obviously avoiding eye contact, if she seems confused or unfamiliar with the surroundings, those are a few signs that something is not right. Also if the adult does not allow the child to speak or interrupts the child when they are answering a question that is directed to the child, this would be another sign that something inappropriate is going on. They will also be looking at the way the child is dressed. For example if the child looks to be in her early teens and is wearing a very short skirt, a tight fitting top and wearing a lot of make up, that may lead to further questions being asked. These are just a few examples and if some these things are observed, then it is possible that the two may be taken to the police station and separated for further questioning. These are also things we as expats should be watching out for as well if we see someone with a minor.

Despite what many think, law enforcement and social workers here in the Philippines are well trained and know the things to watch for when it comes to child abuse and trafficking. I have never heard or read of a case where someone has been taken to the police station and detained without additional circumstances involved. I saw where someone here mentioned that a friend or theirs was detained and questioned and maybe there is some truth to that, but that account seemed to be more about extortion by a dishonest individual and not a good example of someone being detained because they were actually thought to be abusing the child. But even if that was the case, if it were my child or relative I would appreciate the attention to detail and even if it turned out to be quite a hassle, I would thank them for being concerned for the welfare of the child.

Is this from some reliable source or just another one of your ramblings ? :idontknow:

• Like 1
Tullioz

Is this from some reliable source or just another one of your ramblings ? :idontknow:

In my work here I often attend meetings and forums and sometimes trafficking is the subject of one of the speakers. 

contraman

In my work here I often attend meetings and forums and sometimes trafficking is the subject of one of the speakers. 

So it is just as I thought, Just more hearsay.

I for one (No doubt there are others, but I can not speak for them) would prefer that you post something that is just  more than your blinkered outlook on subjects.

Something that is credible and we can follow up for ourselves and form our own opinion

Is that too much to ask ?   :idontknow:

Tullioz

So it is just as I thought, Just more hearsay.

I for one (No doubt there are others, but I can not speak for them) would prefer that you post something that is just  more than your blinkered outlook on subjects.

Something that is credible and we can follow up for ourselves and form our own opinion

Is that too much to ask ?   :idontknow:

If we all stopped sharing our thoughts opinions here the forum would be pretty useless would it not? No one has to agree with anyone else, but I can assure you that when I post on a subject like this it is often more than just my opinion, it is also the opinion of experts in the field. I was at a forum just three weeks ago where half the day was devoted to human trafficking and child abuse and the speakers were from DSWD and the PNP. The information I shared in the post you questioned was directly from what was discussed during that meeting. It is the same when it comes to RA 7610. I have discussed this law this with both law enforcement and city attorneys, but people still chose to believe what they want and that is fine. If people want to follow up or if they need a more credible source than me, they can easily go talk to officials int their own city or town to get the answers they are looking for.  

I have no desire to mislead people or share misinformation and prefer to be an asset to the forum, but of course everyone is free to believe otherwise.
  • Like 1
contraman

If we all stopped sharing our thoughts opinions here the forum would be pretty useless would it not? No one has to agree with anyone else, but I can assure you that when I post on a subject like this it is often more than just my opinion, it is also the opinion of experts in the field. I was at a forum just three weeks ago where half the day was devoted to human trafficking and child abuse and the speakers were from DSWD and the PNP. The information I shared in the post you questioned was directly from what was discussed during that meeting. It is the same when it comes to RA 7610. I have discussed this law this with both law enforcement and city attorneys, but people still chose to believe what they want and that is fine. If people want to follow up or if they need a more credible source than me, they can easily go talk to officials int their own city or town to get the answers they are looking for.  

I have no desire to mislead people or share misinformation and prefer to be an asset to the forum, but of course everyone is free to believe otherwise.

Once again just hearsay, nothing concrete at all.

I do not see anything in your posts that can be substantiated  :(

If you were at such forums, then they must have been reported upon in the press, so perhaps a link may add to your credibility (Which in my opinion is at a very low ebb) and we could make our own assessment of what was said.

Do you really read what you post ?  I guess not, If you did you would realize how biased and unbelievable they are :idontknow: