RA7610, AN ACT PROVIDING FOR STRONGER DETERRENCE AND SPECIAL PROTECTION AGAINST CHILD ABUSE, EXPLOITATION AND DISCRIMINATION, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

colemanlee

Indeed.  The "You can't do it here so don't fecking do it there" laws of Western countries is thoroughly admirable.

Question back to Lee (the OP).  You live in Pnas and this law is certainly admirable in intent.  Do you think The Senators think they have done a job here?

Is implementation ever in their minds?  Has any thought gone in to resourcing or is statute enough?

First thing, I only posted the law because we have some "thick" individuals here that in other post tend to ask the same question twenty different ways hoping to get a different answer,,,

Having said that...I live in Tacloban and rarely get to Manila or Cebu or anywhere else here with the possible exception of AC..so I can only speak to what Im familiar with.   

Rarely have I seen the statute enforced here except for foreigners.  Its a ill kept secret here that in some areas child molestation is rampant but again only in areas that has very little oversight...Im speaking of the squatter areas of which there are several huge ones.  It almost never makes any kind of news. There are some that even the PNP does not venture into on a regular basis.  DSWD is the functionary suppose to deal with the laws on kids..Ive never seen them or the NSO's in this area do much of anything....Im raising five kids here, and frequently get invited to all kinds of stuff for kids..my wife is one of the officers of the school and pretty much has her finger on the pulse of things...including the stuff that happens in the squatter area I speak of, as most of her siblings live there...and I can tell you for sure that here..laws including the one I published are not that well enforced..

Im sure the intent passing the law was admirable but like most things passed in Manila implementation in the rest of the country  is nearly impossible.  The resources are not there.  For instance, Tacloban has fewer cops than Samar although it has more people..In Samar there is a large NPA contingent and continuous killings by rival political factions so they spend their resources there.  I have several good friends stationed there though they live here.

Now, from what I read, or hear on the news, I do suppose they are serious and have the resources to follow up enforcing the laws elsewhere..by elsewhere I mean the cities like Cebu, Davao, Manila etc...Most of the pedifiles I have heard of that are caught seem to come from the Cebu area and most of the club raids for underage seem to come from the Manila area...I also suppose that's why we hear about them...

AC makes the news a lot, and I know for a fact that many of the girls there are recruited from the provinces, usually by somebody they know, friends, cousins etc...who make a bonus when they can get somebody to come to work..There use to be a strip bar here, had about thirty girls..of that thirty only four were from anywhere close to here...most were from Mindanao, farming communities to be exact.  I mention this as an example, how would you enforce a girl from the province going to the city with her cousin?  Impossible to do in real life.

Lets take the laws here in general, Helmet laws, only enforced in the city limits of Tacloban in this area, get out of Tacloban no problem..drivers licences, tags same same..When we go to our farm, we never see someone with a helmet and most of the bikes don't have tags..

Gun laws, you got to be kidding right...if you can pay for one you can have one...

I smile a lot reading this or any forum, you have those that have lived here for years that get in their pulpit and proudly spout their knowledge of the laws and the penalties therein...and I suppose in their area they could be correct, I cant say as I don't live there, but here and places I have traveled, Leyte and Samar extensively, show me a law and I will show you a thousand ways to go around it...it seems to me, many who live here rarely get out of their gated community...

As far as Implementation goes...rarely do I see it...My wife quotes her father and a comment he made to her during EDSA...she had been watching the news and was all upset with what was going on..as you could imagine a small girl would be..when she asked her father about it, he just smiled and said "dont worry about it darling, thats just for those people in Manila, it wont affect us"

I hope that answers your question....If there is something more specific you would like me to address dont hesitate to ask..

• Like 4
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tullioz

• contraman

• colemanlee

• mikewright

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would imagine it is much worse there than here. This is a very affluent community, every house on my street is nicer than ours with new cars in the driveway. It just bothers me as I often hang out i

I was interrogated by police in Davao one time about traveling with an underage girl, while the girl was whisked away to a separate room and drilled. They did not want to believe that the girl was ind

Of course we are under the law of the Philippines.   The point I was making here was, as an American Citizen, even if the law of the land in the Philippines WERE 12 years - age of consent, it would

Posted Images

"....AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES"

At least they were a little bit honest. 

I would like to see them make it illegal for them NOT to act in a child's behalf. There are near a half dozen kids under 10 y.o. living in the plaza here, parents long gone. No school, no food, ragged clothes, sleeping in the referee/scorekeeper tower for the tennis court. I try to "employ" them to give them spending money and teach them about working for a living, but am sticking my own neck out doing so. DSWD has been called numerous time by numerous people, they come up and talk to them, and then away they go in their SUV back to Duma...

IJM can't make any donation fodder out of this. If they were 19 year old girls well fed and working in front of a webcam, well then that is something to put a stop to, ASAP. 

Of course we are under the law of the Philippines.

The point I was making here was, as an American Citizen, even if the law of the land in the Philippines WERE 12 years - age of consent, it would not matter one iota. The point is moot. Because, if I am with her - even if only in the Philippines, I can still be prosecuted due to the sole fact that she is a minor AND I am a US Citizen, in accordance with US law. 

A lot of people who are aware of the law don't know the law. For Americans the minimum age is 16, unless other factors (such as prostitution) apply, in which case the age either goes up (or doesn't matter?) but the rule is 16 for true love, 18 unless you're like, Jeff Dalmer. 

Tullioz

Rarely have I seen the statute enforced here except for foreigners.  Its a ill kept secret here that in some areas child molestation is rampant but again only in areas that has very little oversight...Im speaking of the squatter areas of which there are several huge ones.  It almost never makes any kind of news. There are some that even the PNP does not venture into on a regular basis.  DSWD is the functionary suppose to deal with the laws on kids..Ive never seen them or the NSO's in this area do much of anything....

It's not that RA 7610 is only being enforced on foreigners, it's just that when it is, it is more likely to make the headlines. But you are correct, child abuse and molestation is rampant especially in squatter areas and places following natural or man made disasters. It is not exclusive to one area of the Philippines and occurs here in Davao as well. Another example I have first hand knowledge of would be the events following the Zamboanga siege. Child abuse and exploitation became a major problem there where the tens of thousands of refugees were being kept and it is still happening to a certain extent even today.

Most of my time is spent in squatter areas and just from what I hear and observe I would estimate that 1 in 3 children have been the victim of abuse by the time they reach their mid teens. There is a lack of law enforcement presence in these areas as you also mentioned, but I think the biggest problem has to do with the parents and the children who are victims unwillingness to report the abuse. Many are just too afraid to come forward.

Here is an interesting chart from the Commission on Human Rights that shows cases involving children who were victims of abuse in 2013 and it paints a sad picture. I have seen estimates that there are hundreds of thousands of underage prostitutes and other victims of child abuse in the Philippines and yet the number of cases reported is in the low hundreds. Another thing to consider when looking at this chart, there were 403 total cases and I can only recall a handful that involved foreigners during that year that were posted here in the forum. If you subtract the ones related to child support, that leaves about 353 cases of rape and other forms of abuse. There may have been 5 or 6 that were foreigners? (The case of a German who was in the company of several boys who were minors was mentioned in this report) Either way, the number of foreigners is proportionally higher compared to the total Filipino Population, but I would imagine cases involving foreigners are more obvious to spot and also more likely to be reported.

post-15209-0-08099700-1449087880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tullioz

AC makes the news a lot, and I know for a fact that many of the girls there are recruited from the provinces, usually by somebody they know, friends, cousins etc...who make a bonus when they can get somebody to come to work..There use to be a strip bar here, had about thirty girls..of that thirty only four were from anywhere close to here...most were from Mindanao, farming communities to be exact.  I mention this as an example, how would you enforce a girl from the province going to the city with her cousin?  Impossible to do in real life.

A mother here took her daughter up to AC to meet a foreigner as soon as she left school. Lowest of the low.

mikewright

If you subtract the ones related to child support, that leaves about 353 cases of rape and other forms of abuse.

Interesting that nearly 25% of the cases in the figures you quoted related to child support.

I'd got the impression from some earlier posts that child support was virtually non-existent in the Philippines.

colemanlee

A mother here took her daughter up to AC to meet a foreigner as soon as she left school. Lowest of the low.

The last time my wife and I took the fly the bus from Manila to AC, a 350 lb loud mouth American got on the bus with a girl very made up..I though she looked about 16 and my wife did also (she can spot stuff like that better than I can) the girl was obviously trying to look older...before when I was here in a capacity besides being retired, I was very aware of some of the stuff that goes on in the province as it relates to taking daughters somewhere to work...

Interesting that nearly 25% of the cases in the figures you quoted related to child support.

I'd got the impression from some earlier posts that child support was virtually non-existent in the Philippines.

I would imagine most of those cases for child support are from the cities..I can only speak for us, when I met my wife she was raising her two kids on something like 2k per month working as a housekeeper...never got a centavo from her x who left as soon as she got pg with the second one..pretty common here

• Like 3
mikewright

I would imagine most of those cases for child support are from the cities..I can only speak for us, when I met my wife she was raising her two kids on something like 2k per month working as a housekeeper...never got a centavo from her x who left as soon as she got pg with the second one..pretty common here

Yep, that's my experience also, have seen many instances of children of unmarried mums completely unsupported by their fathers. I guess if the father is an unemployed layabout there's no point in pursuing the matter. But good to see there is an option if it's worth pursuing.

Yep, that's my experience also, have seen many instances of children of unmarried mums completely unsupported by their fathers. I guess if the father is an unemployed layabout there's no point in pursuing the matter. But good to see there is an option if it's worth pursuing.

The one I mentioned I too old and ugly to whore around any more so she was trying to get the kids to do it for here and cash in. The girl picked up an American but it turned out she was pregnant with a boy from school so the little plan failed. They dont seems to last very long around here after they graduate. Either leave or knock out kids with a local.

contraman

The last time my wife and I took the fly the bus from Manila to AC, a 350 lb loud mouth American got on the bus with a girl very made up

With a description like that, Are you sure he wasn't an Aussie :yahoo:

• Like 4

Or a Kiwi :)

• Like 2

It must be frustrating for those expats living in the Philippines full time.

The thought that I could be challenged for having my own daughter with me is beyond me.

But before those do gooders here pipe in and say it is legal for her to be with me, There

is still the chance that I may have to prove it

:(

• Like 2
colemanlee

Yea, even my dumb ass can spot the way you guys talk...Kiwi's to

• Like 2
contraman

Yea, even my dumb ass can spot the way you guys talk...Kiwi's to

o your memory is bad also.

I am always asked by Ozzies "Are You a Damn Yank"   :yahoo:

I guess it is my French Canadian heritage :idontknow:

Edited by contraman
  • Like 1
JSL-USMC

"Children under the age of 18..." Is it 18 or not? If t's 17 shouldn't it be written 17 and under? Laws should be exact and this just makes me wonder how many other ambiguities there are.

RogerDuMond

Rarely have I seen the statute enforced here except for foreigners

Thank God I live in the province where locals are subjected to the same laws as foreigners.