Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Cloud Users: What service do you use, and why?

Paul
Say if I have multiple folders and want to grant access to one folder to someone, can I make it so they cannot view the other folders?

All you have to do is, have a shared link ONLY for the folder you wish to share with person A. create a separate folder (and link) for person B, and so on.

So, it would be:

A. Google Drive - Main Folder

1. Root Folder - Access only for you.
    • Sub-Folder 1 - Person A
    • Sub-Folder 2 - Person B
    • Sub-Folder 3 - Person C

Each folder would have its own private link, including the Root Folder. But, anyone who has the "Root Folder" link will also have access to any sub-folders inside it.

I would create a sub-folder in my main Google Drive folder, first. Maybe call it "Larry". Then, put all sub-folders you want for others, inside this folder. Right click on the individual folder, get the Google Drive public link, and then give it to whomever needs access to that particular folder.

=========================

If you are concerned about the files within these folders, you can encrypt them prior to dropping them into your Google Drive.

Edited by Paul

spydoo

I'll give my input since my solution is quite different to the above. I subscribe to a VPS hosting solution in an excellent, local data centre.

I host my business website locally because geo is believed to be a ranking factor for SEO, and my target visitors are very local. If I had a site with quite a global target audience such as yours I'd be hosting in the US where cheap, quality providers abound. By having your data on your own (colo/VPS, etc) server space you can control access as you wish.

In other words, what about putting your private data whereever you are hosting this website? That's cloud storage, too. 

You can chuck up a Wordpress site and have downloads you provide for people behind a paywall (which can be free access, but you can control and monitor it better).

Edited by spydoo
  • Like 2

Paul

In other words, what about putting your private data whereever you are hosting this website? That's cloud storage, too.   

You can chuck up a Wordpress site and have downloads you provide for people behind a paywall (which can be free access, but you can control and monitor it better).

True. I could go that route, without much more time invested. But, I like simple. It is a hell of a lot easier to just drop files in a folder, right click on the file / folder, and get a link right off my computer to post. 

I host my business website locally because geo is believed to be a ranking factor for SEO, and my target visitors are very local. If I had a site with quite a global target audience such as yours I'd be hosting in the US where cheap, quality providers abound. By having your data on your own (colo/VPS, etc) server space you can control access as you wish.

Oh, I do host it in the US. And, cheap isn't always best, regarding hosting. I learned that the hard way.

• Like 1

contraman

t is a hell of a lot easier to just drop files in a folder, right click on the file / folder, and get a link right off my computer to post. 

You can still do that with Spydoo's suggestion :)

Goetz1965

Paul - just go to crashplan.com

Install on your PC - select the drive you want to "backup" and hit "start" - thats all. Configuring is done in a minute.

It has unlimited storage space and runs smoothly in the background.
It is safe as you defie your own password for encryption - so your data is safe because no one can decrypt it but you.

The support is fast and helpfull - I had an issue once and the helped me within hours