Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Cloud Users: What service do you use, and why?

Paul

I currently have a little over 1,000 files in one folder on Copy.com. They sent me a nasty gram not too long ago, stating I had a virus, or other infection, that was detected by multiple means.

copy_email.JPG

<cough> bullshit </cough>. 

Look at the date as to how long the damned files have been on their cloud storage. I guess they missed that infection for a long time.

Screenshot 2015-11-29 23.27.jpg

Now, this (just under) 10 gigs of storage needs to be put elsewhere, so people can access the files. At the moment, I am uploading them (split) on to two other clouds (Dropbox and Google Drive), but only for a temporary fix. I need something more permanent. In fact, I have a total of 57 gigs on Copy.com, and about 5 gigs on Dropbox, at the moment. 

So, anyone know where I may find some (preferably free / cheap) online storage? Don't want to change from Copy. But, I am waiting for their Support team to contact me back - if they ever do.

EDIT:

Oh, I scanned the same folders, which are synced on my computer, with not one, not two, but three different ways:

1. Norton Security

2. Spybot Search & Destroy

3. MalwareBytes

There is no infection in those folders, anywhere. Just 1021 PDF files waiting to be viewed by others.

Edited by Paul

Captainmike

Paul,

I've been looking for a business I'm setting up.  I don't use Amazon Cloud but it's $59.99 a year for unlimited (I don't need that much space).

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/pricing

Mandingo

OneDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive for personal stuff and at work we have our own cloud service so use that too. Out of the free ones I probably use Dropbox the most.

goggleye

im using google drive with no problems    

Goetz1965

I use crashplan.com as my online backup - works perfect for 1 year now even with not all time high bandwidth internet.

It has unlimited storage space - my 2.3TB fit well - and only costs 60$ per year.
But what's best is - I choose the encryption password myself and all data sent to the server gets encypted on my machine before its uploaded - so no one can read my data as only I have my password !

michael_retired

I have a general question  about cloud,  forgive  my ignorance.

Is it a concern to be worried about these storage sites to be hacked? 

Otherwise  I'd use them. 

thanks

mike,  baguio

rep1

MEGA. 50GB for free and their sync client can work with shared folders granted by other accounts.

arentol

This suggestion may not be helpful in your case, Paul, because it isn't free/cheap; but, it may be of some use to other readers. I have listed some free/cheap options below, however.

I use Egnyte because it offers 5TB storage, has a wide range of authentication parameters, has a 10GB max file size, has desktop sync, FTP access, and Outlook integration. Using Egnyte enables me to access data from anywhere in the world, save a huge amount of data, and to retain granular control over access.

Basically, if you rely on cloud services heavily and/or for business, then Egnyte is a good option. If you're a regular Joe who just wants to store data at no or low cost, and want to try something other than Dropbox and Copy, then check out:

Mega

ADrive

Bitcasa

Cubby

HiDrive

Syncplicity

Egnyte screenshots

egnyte1.jpg

egnyte2.png

Aren

Edited by arentol
  • Like 1

arentol

Is it a concern to be worried about these storage sites to be hacked? Otherwise I'd use them.

I think that's always a valid concern, Michael, when relying on any cloud-based storage. It's always a risk and is probably best mitigated by keeping highly sensitive files stored locally. Cloud services do offer benefits, however, primarily due to the accessibility of data from multiple locations, easy sharing of data with others, and auto-syncing of your data.

If privacy is a concern, you may want to look at country-specific cloud storage providers. Here are a few from Switzerland, for example:

Wolkli

DigitalSafe

SecureSafe

myDrive

Regards,

Aren

bmoore

One Drive. Easy to use as long a your one-drive folder maps directly to One-Drive.

Still use a local backup to a stand-alone hard drive.

David Spicer

OneDrive -- mainly due to its seamless integration with my Windows desktop, my Windows tablet, and my Windows phone.

If they cut it to only 5 GB free next year, then I'll just pay the $1.99 a month for 50 GB.

• Like 1

Paul

Guys, thanks for your input. But, as stated in my original post, I have over 9 gigs in one folder, THE folder they said they found the infected file in. <cough> bullshit </bullshit> 

I reckon I need a cloud that offers at least 100 gigs of storage. 

Dropbox has 8 gigs maximum storage, currently.

Google Drive has 15 gigs maximum storage, currently.

Mega has 50 gigs maximum storage, currently.

Copy.com has 257 gigs maximum storage, currently. 

MEGA. 50GB for free and their sync client can work with shared folders granted by other accounts.

They must have only started with sync software recently. Before, it was online access ONLY. No syncing with my desktop is why I haven't used it more than I have. I have just downloaded the syncing software, as well as the add on for Chrome. I will see how it performs, before I make a decision about using it. 

if you rely on cloud services heavily and/or for business

Honestly? No. I use it to share files I have, that I feel others may find useful. I really don't want to put any more of a financial responsibility on myself at the moment. I need to get past all my medical issues / payouts first. Then, I will be okay to pay a bit, if necessary, for some extra space. 

michael_retired

I think that's always a valid concern, Michael, when relying on any cloud-based storage. It's always a risk and is probably best mitigated by keeping highly sensitive files stored locally. Cloud services do offer benefits, however, primarily due to the accessibility of data from multiple locations, easy sharing of data with others, and auto-syncing of your data.

If privacy is a concern, you may want to look at country-specific cloud storage providers. Here are a few from Switzerland, for example:

Wolkli

DigitalSafe

SecureSafe

myDrive

Regards,

Aren

Thanks for your answer Aren, maybe I will look into 'cloud storage' for non-sensitive data. 

Paul

Thanks for your answer Aren, maybe I will look into 'cloud storage' for non-sensitive data. 

I would NEVER store any sensitive data on a cloud. The only files I store on them, are ones I DO want others to have.

eBooks, floor plans, various alternative energy files, etc. No encryption even needed for those files, for sure. 

• Like 3

shadow

I've a question regarding cloud storage. Of the free services I'm leaning toward google drive, I don't need a large volume, 15 GB is more than I will ever use. My question is in regards to uploading multiple folders, can I have a separate password for separate folders? Or if I want multiple passwords do I have to have separate accounts?

Say if I have multiple folders and want to grant access to one folder to someone, can I make it so they cannot view the other folders?

• Like 1