Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Zapped!

shadow

Saturday night about 11:45 we were zapped by lightning (It was VERY freaky). It took out all of Valencia for about 2 hours. When it came back on everyone around us had power except us, and a small section of houses a few blocks up the street. 

Yesterday was scheduled brownout for the national grid in this area. NORECO would not entertain that our lack of electricity was caused by anything other than the national grid problem.

The houses up the street got power back last night about 9, but not us. Turns out it took out our pole transformer (Privately owned), and every power supply that was plugged in (modem, laptop, etc), even those that were run through a UPS/surge protector that now no longer works also. Well, this morning they hooked us up to the secondary line, and we had power for an hour. Back off again now, I assume they are still finding issues caused by the lighting strike. So, we have had power for one hour out of the last 34.

It's more fun!

• Like 5

KennyF

even those that were run through a UPS/surge protector that now no longer works also

Same thing happened here on Camiguin a few months ago.

We lost lots of cables, modem and power pack plus a 32" TV.

Our UPS blew, even though it was plugged into a surge protector, but as the Sparks pointed out, you need an earth to make a surge protector work.

KonC

• Like 2

Paul

I bet someone in the neighborhood has a new monster.

16285337.gif

• Like 1

Woolf

A ground is not needed for a surge protector to work

it depends how the surge protector is build

If a lightning strikes your pole transformer or high voltage lines very close NOTHING will protect you

only thing that would protect your equipment is disconnecting it

diagram of a surge protector   (I see no ground)

7806bbd8ea0cefe95fef940296815930321b47be

• Like 2

Headshot

You need a lightning arrestor (which DOES have a ground wire) to protect from a lightning strike. The best lightning arrestors are internal in the tanks (under oil) of distribution transformers. They do use some lightning arrestors in Cebu, but most are mounted on the pole, where they aren't as effective as internal arrestors. Unfortunately, even though they do use some lightning arrestors, there aren't even enough to adequately protect the the utility's system...let alone your house.

RogerDat

Our old house was hooked to the lightning rod MECO installed on the road, so every time we got a storm, it hit that pole, and came directly to our house. We lost 2 AC units to it.

The new house has the wire from the street going down the pole in our yard to a buried conduct. It will not surge into the house in theory, but I still trip the whole house GFI thingy.    

post-7667-0-29170900-1448852837_thumb.jpg

Edited by RogerDat

Kreole

WARNING!!!  ALWAYS unplug all of your electronics when a electrical storm is approaching.  Don't wait until it is already on top of you.  This is just basic precaution for not getting your electronics fried.  If I hear a storm approaching, that is the first thing I do.  And I mean all electronics including your refrigerator. 

Aside from getting your electronics fried, you run the risk of fire.  It is not as if you do not have ample warning, since electrical storms do not suddenly appear.  Obviously, you cannot take precautions if you are away from home, but you can still be proactive by reading the weather and unplugging all of electronics excepting your refrigerator when you go out.  Even more important when you leave for extended periods of time.

• Like 3

Headshot

Our old house was hooked to the lightning rod MECO installed on the road, so every time we got a storm, it hit that pole, and came directly to our house. We lost 2 AC units to it.

The new house has the wire from the street going down the pole in our yard to a buried conduct. It will not surge into the house in theory, but I still trip the whole house GFI thingy.    

attachicon.gifdownload (1)ffg.jpg

In my experience, about the only place a utility will install lightning rods is in their substations. The real story is that the utilities here are poorly grounded and do not install enough lightning arrestors to protect their customers. It is likely that your house had the best ground in the neighborhood, which would cause any lightning hitting the utility lines in your neighborhood to seek ground...at your house. Without a lightning arrestor to shunt the lightning surge to ground before it hits your house, it will fry everything you own. A lightning ROD will only work if the lightning hits it directly. It will do nothing for lightning hitting the power lines.

tonny

YES i lost two TVs in one strike both 32 inches  the old 21 inch was ok  haaaa some things old do better ,,,, but not me!!!!! Even if i am a lot less than 21 inches !!!!!!

Edited by tonny
  • Like 1

RogerDat

the lightning rod MECO installed on the road

​This is supposed to be funny, it is a regular pole, but is very attractive to lightning, and it is a straight shot to that house.

Edited by RogerDat

smokey

we have our own transformers and have been lucky so far once we lost 4 lights and that was all

• Like 1

SkyMan

since electrical storms do not suddenly appear. 
They can, believe me, they can.
  • Like 1

shadow

They can, believe me, they can.

As this one did. I was asleep when it hit. We are at the base of a mountain 5 km from the sea, they form here when the clouds from the sea collide with the clouds from the mountain, different air currents.

• Like 1

rizla

Can I just point out that if you have made your own earth (copper spike pushed into the ground type) then if there is a lightning strike nearby to the ground, you are hugely at risk of getting zapped up the earth cable, which usually, by default, has no protection and is connected directly to your electrical items.

Rule of thumb, unplug and switch off the main power breaker

By the way, usually (not always) there is a board mounted fuse on the input side of the PSU on TV's and aircon units, this fuse can be changed and often will have protected the rest of the equipment, worth trying before spending huge amounts on replace ments

Woolf

By the way, usually (not always) there is a board mounted fuse on the input side of the PSU on TV's and aircon units, this fuse can be changed and often will have protected the rest of the equipment, worth trying before spending huge amounts on replace ments

Very often those fuses are slow blow, and will prevent a fire, but most of the time your

ps will be fried anyway

all depending on how bad the lightning strike is