Australia's anti-terror laws gone overboard

George-1947

George-1947

There is no law against taking photos in a public space in Australia even the video says so at 57 seconds. 

"Just some security guard on a frolic of his own."

The fact that private security guards can create their own law, and back up their own law with arrests, or threatened arrests, concerns me.  Maybe I'm being paranoid over conspiracy, but security personnel don't go to such lengths without instructions.  Australia does carry out certain activities at times to test public reaction.

"Just some security guard on a frolic of his own."

The fact that private security guards can create their own law, and back up their own law with arrests, or threatened arrests, concerns me.  Maybe I'm being paranoid over conspiracy, but security personnel don't go to such lengths without instructions.  Australia does carry out certain activities at times to test public reaction.

Which fact is it? 

1) security guards create their own laws?

2) security personnel dont go to such lengths without instructions?

I'm going for the instructions choice

or... this one,  just an authority power trip by an insecure and paranoid security guard?

Anyway when on someone else's property I think it prudent to respect their wishes.

I've been to Australia its has a guard vs prisoner mindet since its founding.   Australians have no respect for authority and authority has no respect for the general populace they are all petty crims and need to be constrained from time to time.  They are not the land of the free they are the land of the light fingered freebie.  

• Like 1
George-1947

Looks like something they would do in the US.....

I love the photo, and forwarded it to a few friends.  I wonder how many vehicles the officer would see in a day, or in a week for that matter?  It's not exactly the Hume or Bruce Highway.

I <3 Cebu

Typical shock reporting. In the clip it says its completely legal to shoot in public areas then at the end he gives examples of locations that are becoming "off limits"

A bullshit story in my opinion, in one ear & back out the other :-)

mikewright

The fact that private security guards can create their own law, and back up their own law with arrests, or threatened arrests, concerns me.

Wouldn't get too concerned, security guards can't and don't make the law. If they tried to detain you without a valid reason, they would be up for criminal charges themselves:

False imprisonment: The elements of the offence explained.

"In essence, his Honour distilled from a myriad of authorities the proposition that false imprisonment was constituted by the intentional and unlawful restraint of liberty of another person against that person’s will.”

Further context can also be found in the judgment of von Doussa J in R v Garrett (1988) 50 SASR 392 (CCA) where false imprisonment is not only the unlawful restraint of liberty of another against their will, but also (at 405); “[t]he restraint need not be by physical barrier or actual physical force.”

http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/5443/false-imprisonment-the-elements-of-the-offence-exp.aspx

Plus the person wrongfully arrested would have his own claim for damages, which could be substantial.

Wonder what would happen if we tried this stunt?

Islamic extremist could face contempt charges after refusing to acknowledge Australian legal system

An Islamic extremist living in Sydney could soon be charged with contempt following his repeated refusal to face a judge on the basis of his religious beliefs.

Milad bin Ahmad-Shah al-Ahmadzai claims he does not recognise any authority other than Islam and has so far refused to attend court to face charges for attempted murder and car theft.

The NSW Attorney-General Gabrielle Upton has lost patience with the 25-year-old’s continued defiance and is pushing for him to be charged with contempt of court after he failed to appear for his trial at Parramatta District Court yesterday, the Daily Telegraph reports.

Ms Upton wrote to Solicitor-General Michael Sexton yesterday, who has the authority to prosecute Mr al-Ahmadzai, demanding he consider charging him with contempt.

“I have also sought advice from the Department of Justice for possible changes to the law so accused persons show respect for judicial officials and our system of justice,” she wrote.

Mr al-Ahmadzai has pleaded not-guilty to six charges, included an attempted murder charge for allegedly shooting at a person outside a gay club in 2013.

He reportedly first began refusing to acknowledge the Australian legal system in 2014.

Liberal MP for Hughes, Craig Kelly, said Mr al-Ahmadzai should “rot in jail” until he is ready to stand in court.

In a 1995 High Court case Justice Michael McHugh ruled that contempt of court only includes “acts or emissions that have a tendency to interfere with or undermine the authority, performance or dignity of the courts of justice or those who participate in their proceedings”.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/12/01/07/30/islamic-extremist-could-face-contempt-charges-after-refusing-to-acknowledge-australian-legal-system

• Like 2