Australia's anti-terror laws gone overboard

George-1947

George-1947

If you take photos in public places across Australia today you may be facing arrest.  The following features on today's Yahoo 7 News.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30223545/photographer-ken-duncan-threatened-with-arrest/#page1

It seems authorities are concerned that what at first glance may appear to be a tourist photographing the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or the Sydney Opera House, may really be a reconnaissance mission for where to lay the explosives. Yes, I suppose that risk does exist, but to try to stop every visitor to Australia from taking photos just seems extreme to me.

• Like 2

If you take photos in public places across Australia today you may be facing arrest.  The following features on today's Yahoo 7 News.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/30223545/photographer-ken-duncan-threatened-with-arrest/#page1

It seems authorities are concerned that what at first glance may appear to be a tourist photographing the Sydney Harbour Bridge, or the Sydney Opera House, may really be a reconnaissance mission for where to lay the explosives. Yes, I suppose that risk does exist, but to try to stop every visitor to Australia from taking photos just seems extreme to me.

Sadly, Australia has become a Bureaucrats paradise. :baseballbat:   

• Like 1

The world has gone paranoid. There are probably a million pictures out there of the bridge and opera house and they are worried about another person taking a picture?  It's happening here in the States too at specific places and I would not be surprised if it expands to include anything the government declares as off limits. Our rights are being taken away in the name of our security.

• Like 2
Scotsbloke

It's also happening here too - but it's (almost) nothing to do with the law.  As the video Geroge posted it's almost always self-important 'security' who want to play 007.

and they keep changing the speed signs for no reason....today $305 plus 3 demerit points for 12 ks over limit...in a 60 k zone....was 80 k last month...

Nangulo

I've been hashing since '97.  The first group I ran with had two hares (runners that marked a trail for those who followed) with bags full of flour.  The hares would run off 30 minutes ahead of the pack to mark the days' trail.  The hares would reach an intersection and drop a fist-full of flour as a run marker.  Fast forward to 2001 and the anthrax issue in the USA.  At Cebu Hash, we used spray paint cans to make two different colored dots on whatever: utility poles, fences, coconut trees, even a tied-up carabao, once.  

Imagine the hysteria that hashers in Australia must be encountering just to mark a running trail.

Edited by Nangulo

and they keep changing the speed signs for no reason....today $305 plus 3 demerit points for 12 ks over limit...in a 60 k zone....was 80 k last month...

Mongrals!!

For Real

I've been hashing since '97.  The first group I ran with had two hares (runners that marked a trail for those who followed) with bags full of flour.  The hares would run off 30 minutes ahead of the pack to mark the days' trail.  The hares would reach an intersection and drop a fist-full of flour as a run marker.  Fast forward to 2001 and the anthrax issue in the USA.  At Cebu Hash, we used spray paint cans to make two different colored dots on whatever: utility poles, fences, coconut trees, even a tied-up carabao, once.  

Imagine the hysteria that hashers in Australia must be encountering just to mark a running trail.

Spray paint is still MO in CEBU, biggest challenge is when the locale paint over them or paint other direction. Trails in Sydney seem to be the 1inch round stationery labels where ever the stick.

They get more business, early on anyway, by doing that. 

• Like 2
cvgtpc1

Our new local thing is speed cameras that snap and ticket you at 5mph over.

There is no law against taking photos in a public space in Australia even the video says so at 57 seconds. 

I have taken photos all over the world and never had any problems with officials you just need to be prudent at times like taking photos of children at the beach or one time my first day in Prague taking tourist shots I noticed a group of armed soldiers hiding behind a building so tempted to shoot I held off and kept walking because I didn't know if it was a putsch or something else later I found out they were extras in a war film, c'est la vie.

Edited by Art
  • Like 2
mikewright

There is no law against taking photos in a public space in Australia even the video says so at 57 seconds.

Yep, no need to get our knickers in a knot just yet. Don't panic, folk. Nothing to do with anti-terror laws. Just some security guard on a frolic of his own.

Back in tbe '70s it was illegal to take photos of bridges and railway stations in India and Pakistan, but no problem taking photos of public buildings like the Taj Mahal or the Red Fort. How things have changed since then. A google search will give you photos of all the bridges and railway stations.

• Like 2

George Orwell had it right. Big Brother is going to get you.

Not before stupidity or alzheimers, big brother has to wait in line.  :)

• Like 5

In case a Drunk Rabbit, decides to ride an Emu, while hitching in a Roo's Pouch, on the way to The Pub, 50 Miles away........

post-7902-0-98729700-1448879285_thumb.jpg

Edited by ozboy
  • Like 7