Sign in to follow this  
Ash

Scuba diving in Cebu

Ash

We will be back in to Cebu soon and my Daughter who is a dive master will be with us. We stay in Argao

Can anyone suggest good dive spots, she wants to dive with the whale sharks as well as wrecks. 

Are the whale sharks all year round ?

Edited by Ash

bmoore

Oslob is great for the Whale sharks, but not much else. It is fun to dive if they still allow it. You can see the whales from below.

Mactan (and the islands along the channel: Olango, and small island south. good soft Coral) Mactan has huge (30-50 meter schools of bait fish) and decent wall dive for being so close to town.

Moalboal: Shore dives (very mellow wall dive) all along the coast and Pescador Island about a mile or so off shore has a very nice reef and you can see Hammer Heads at the bottom if you are lucky. Also occasional "wild" whale sharks. There is also a good sea mount in the channel where there are big fish. (though blue water diving with a fierce current, hang on to the anchor line) 

Malpascua Island has nice hard coral reefs, a small Japanese wreck and Thresher Sharks.

Panglao in Bohol. Good Reef.

Calibao Island in Bohol - Famous for Hammer Heads.

You might want to give the Camotes a shot. I have not dived there but it would be a good place to explore.

Argao used to be good 20-30 years ago but the reef has been badly damaged on the South East coast. Still better than a lot of state side diving.

• Like 5

Pman

Oslob is great for the Whale sharks, but not much else. It is fun to dive if they still allow it. You can see the whales from below.

Mactan (and the islands along the channel: Olango, and small island south. good soft Coral) Mactan has huge (30-50 meter schools of bait fish) and decent wall dive for being so close to town.

Moalboal: Shore dives (very mellow wall dive) all along the coast and Pescador Island about a mile or so off shore has a very nice reef and you can see Hammer Heads at the bottom if you are lucky. Also occasional "wild" whale sharks. There is also a good sea mount in the channel where there are big fish. (though blue water diving with a fierce current, hang on to the anchor line) 

Malpascua Island has nice hard coral reefs, a small Japanese wreck and Thresher Sharks.

Panglao in Bohol. Good Reef.

Calibao Island in Bohol - Famous for Hammer Heads.

You might want to give the Camotes a shot. I have not dived there but it would be a good place to explore.

Argao used to be good 20-30 years ago but the reef has been badly damaged on the South East coast. Still better than a lot of state side diving.

They were diving when I was there in March.

Apo island 20 km south of Dumaguete is a world famous dive site.

Costs 2000 pesos to get to the island for 4 people.

• Like 1

samatm

Moalboal... is well....just fantastic.  YOu wont believe the AMAZING Coral Reefs  right off your  doorstep.. (stay on  basdako -- white sand beach.        )  with an awesome drop off wall dive.   Just amazing.    While you are there.       Plan a day trip to OSLOB to swim with the Whale sharks...then play in the waterfalls.     inquire with your dive shop about   Diving with them...dunno if any are doing it.   but the swimming and snorkeling with them is an unforgettable experience....           

• Like 1

Ash

Thanks guys for your help.

• Like 1

SumDumJoe

I loved Moal Boal. 

Pescador Island has a huge school of sardines that is a must dive.

The house reef at Saavedra still remains one of the best house reefs I have ever dove in the Philippines. 

Bohol is a two hour ferry ride from Cebu City.

The dive sites here are epic.

Balicasag Island is a top destination in the country. 

Here is a picture of the school of jackfish that reside at Balicasag. 

The picture does no justice to the awesomeness of seeing a few hundred jacks schooled together. 

post-17254-0-08079600-1448529084_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

angbumabasa

Padre Burgos, S. Leyte has excellent dive spots, three dive shops. I've been told that I can go out to the drop in front of our place and see whale sharks. I believe it, 150 meters out and it's the 'grand canyon'. 

• Like 2

samatm

Padre Burgos, S. Leyte has excellent dive spots, three dive shops. I've been told that I can go out to the drop in front of our place and see whale sharks. I believe it, 150 meters out and it's the 'grand canyon'. 

Kind of hard to get too...but therin lies the charm!    thanks for the suggestion.   I have been down to the tip there and its beautiful scenery on top of the water...

rbm

North Siquijor, great spots, heaps turtles, Few tourists and cheap

putidako

From Argao, you don't have to go all the way back to Cebu city to get a ferry to Bohol. There is a port Taloot 9km north of Argao town with a daily 12 noon boat to Tagbilaran. This port used to serve the north Bohol port of Loon until Loon port was trashed by the 2013 Bohol earthquake. The ferry also only takes two hours

hyaku

Moalboal... is well....just fantastic.  YOu wont believe the AMAZING Coral Reefs  right off your  doorstep.. (stay on  basdako -- white sand beach.        )  with an awesome drop off wall dive.   Just amazing.    While you are there.       Plan a day trip to OSLOB to swim with the Whale sharks...then play in the waterfalls.     inquire with your dive shop about   Diving with them...dunno if any are doing it.   but the swimming and snorkeling with them is an unforgettable experience....           

I used to live in Moalboal and dived it for years. Some used to turn up at the dive shop and leave after a day saying the dives were no good. Thing is you just dont see everything in one day. Its all there. blue ringed octopus, whale sharks etc. I took some amazing shots there. But I would not advise Christmas. It gets crazy there with so many divers hanging off a descent rope it looks like washing on a line. Diving around Pescador island is like going to the supermarket.

• Like 1

mantosis

Can someone recommend which is the ''best'' diving center/school in Moalboal?

Bonjon

I'd go with Apo or Malapascua or take a flight to El Nido!

bmoore

Can someone recommend which is the ''best'' diving center/school in Moalboal?

Moalboal is good in that you can dive from shore. A good way to learn. I would recommend Loves resort. German managed (like many).
  • Like 1

SumDumJoe

I just looked up Argao on the map and you are in the perfect spot. You can go over to Moalboal for a day or two very easily from there. 

I did my Advanced Open Water and my Nitrox course with Savedra Dive Resort. Their house reef is pretty amazing. 

If there is a ferry direct from Argao to Bohol, you could probably do both places. 

No matter where you dive in the Philippines, it's pretty spectacular. 

Good luck.