Sign in to follow this  
Aerosick

Questions for those living alone...

Aerosick

I have a friend originally from California, USA that had lived off & on near Cebu for many years. About 10 years ago he married his "trophy" wife and brought her back. Later they divorced and she moved to Las Vegas and is doing well.

Several years ago he moved back to Cebu. We have a mutual friend, an older Filipina that has been trying to help him. For the past several months he has been acting very weird (even for him). Losing a lot of things, losing his truck, even losing himself and he knows Cebu City inside out.

Last night he was out drinking and ended up in an apartment building knocking on doors. The residents called the law and they took him away citing "drunk & disorderly". They told our friend that they would take him 1st to a hospital and then to jail. He told our friend that he had lost his vehicle and was trying to find it. Later she looked and it was parked in his parking space. When she told him he said "No, I meant I lost the keys".

I don't know yet about if he went to jail, but now he is in Chong Hua hospital, ICU and being observed for the blood clot on his head. He is conscious but not talking, the doctor will do surgery if the blood clot won't lessen through medicines.

The Doctor is asking about his relatives in case papers for surgery need to be signed. I know his only living relatives are here in California, USA, 2 nieces that haven't talked to him in years. They want no contact with him.

Question #!: If someone has to sign papers, how can this be handled?

Question #2: For those living alone, what have you done in case this happens to you?

• Sad 1

Paul

Holy cow. 

Sorry, I have no answers, Billy. But, I do hope all works out well. 

By the way, I can vouch for Warfarin. It seems to be making my blood thin enough for my clot to dissolve itself.

• Like 6

Dragonladies.org

How old is he?   Other than the blood clot issue, is it possible some form of dementia has set in?

• Like 3

Paul

How old is he?   Other than the blood clot issue, is it possible some form of dementia has set in?

That's what I am thinking too. He's about 73, Billy thinks. A long time, old friend of both ours. :(

• Like 2

Aerosick

UPDATE: Our mutual friend is staying with him when she can. The ICU visiting hours are very strict.

She said that his right hand is useless and that the right side of his face sags.

I'm thinking a stroke on the left side? He is still under observation.

Paul

UPDATE: Our mutual friend is staying with him when she can. The ICU visiting hours are very strict.

She said that his right hand is useless and that the right side of his face sags.

I'm thinking a stroke on the left side? He is still under observation.

Dang, man. Hard to believe. So dang hard to believe. 

• Like 1

KennyF

It seems that the older you get, the more of this you see among friends and acquaintances.

In the last couple of years I've seen way more than in the previous twenty.

It's not just that they are getting older either.

A couple of young guys have died here on the island at 40 and 50 years old.

KonC

• Like 2

woodchopper

i would make contact with his embassy and advise his situation/circumstances?

• Like 3

Enuff

is/was he a member here?

• Like 1

Aerosick

is/was he a member here?

Was a member here.

Enuff

I was curious if others knew him and might want to stop by the hospital to check in

• Like 1

Aerosick

I was curious if others knew him and might want to stop by the hospital to check in

He is Orey Higens. If anyone goes to visit, keep me updated, please?

263337_2344392808050_1522133_n.jpg

• Like 3

Aerosick

It's been 32+ hours since Orey entered Chong Hua and had a CT Scan done. He has not awakened yet. I'm still trying to get more info from our mutual Filipina friend or from anyone else that can drop by and see what the Dr. has to say.

I will update again when I have more info.

12309361_10208303487088290_1956374130_n.jpg

Enuff

I wish him the best

• Like 5