Ignoring IMBRA, ignoring Affidavit of Legal Capacity and Getting Married

The municipal Civil Registrar is responsible for inspecting the required documents and certifying that all the appropriate documents have been submitted and that is as far as the documents go. They are not forwarded anywhere. It is very compartmentalized so only that person in the government is aware of what documents were submitted. If they approve it and sign it, that is the end of that process and it is a valid license.

So the only thing that goes up the chain is the registration.

"After the registration, the civil registrar shall distribute copies of the document bearing the civil registry number as follows: first copy to the registrant; second copy to the Office of the Civil Registrar-General; third copy shall be retained for his file; and fourth copy to the solemnizing office."

I am talking about the US Embassy.

" Hey. I'm petitioning my wife".

"OK, you got married here in the PH, but I don't see any record of you coming here to get the Affidavit. " .

This is what I am talking about.

Edited by tambok
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tambok

• shadow

• RogerDuMond

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know what kind of comments you're looking for here.  I guess if we were at lunch and you told me that I'd be waiting for the rest of the story.

Guess your not listening.....asking the same question multiple times will not change the answer...this is the Philippines....any rule or law can be bent, broken or over looked.....Period...

Not my chance...so why would I care...must have been some argument for you to be so worried about what somebody else is doing...Personally, I find minding my own business keeps away a lot of unnecessa

SkyMan

If they approve it and sign it, that is the end of that process and it is a valid license.
Except in the eyes of the CFO nazis who want to see the supporting docs.

"OK, you got married here in the PH, but I don't see any record of you coming here to get the Affidavit. " .   This is what I am talking about.
Won't happen.
  • Like 1
Headshot

Except in the eyes of the CFO nazis who want to see the supporting docs.

CFO didn't ask my wife for the affidavit  when she got her CFO certificate for her spousal visa, and as you know, the US Embassy couldn't care less about Philippine requirements as long as you have a PSA (the old NSO) certified marriage certificate. Why did your wife have to get a CFO certificate? She doesn't have an immigrant visa.

• Like 1
colemanlee

Why did your wife have to get a CFO certificate? She doesn't have an immigrant visa.

When my wife changed her passport from her maiden name to her married name...they would not process the passport application without the CFO..didnt make any sense to me but we had to comply to get the passport...a trip to Manila...half a day...done no problems....but she did tell me, they turned several away as they were unable to prove some sort of documentation...I think like history of the relationship...as we have been together for four years and she could show that...was no problem at all....I understand its very different in Cebu which is why we took the trip to Manila

• Like 2
shadow

In the last nine years we have processed approximately 150 spousal visas, and about the same number of fiance visas. EVERY one of them got through the CFO process. Again, CFO does not have the authority to deny anyone, they have the responsibility to conduct the seminar.

The Cebu CFO has long had the reputation of giving young girls who are engaged to old men a difficult time (read; FIANCE visa), but still each and every one of them got the sticker in the end.

Sometimes things are only as difficult as you make them to be. If the OP for whatever reason wants to thwart this person from getting a visa, he will have to find some other means to do it, or file a petition to the court and convince a judge the marriage is invalid. He can expect to pay P30,000 to P50,000, and the process to take about 6 months.

Once a marriage certificate is issued by NSO, only a judge can determine it to be invalid. The embassy only cares what the NSO says, nothing else.

I'm done here.

• Like 4
Headshot

When my wife changed her passport from her maiden name to her married name...they would not process the passport application without the CFO..didnt make any sense to me but we had to comply to get the passport...a trip to Manila...half a day...done no problems....but she did tell me, they turned several away as they were unable to prove some sort of documentation...I think like history of the relationship...as we have been together for four years and she could show that...was no problem at all....I understand its very different in Cebu which is why we took the trip to Manila

Yeah, I forgot about the passport name-change rule.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
You can split hairs and argue that the CFO is an RP requirement and has nothing to do with a US visa, but what good is a nice pretty US visa in your passport if the RP won't let you leave the country because you don't have a CFO sticker?  So I consider the CFO, an entirely RP requirement, to be part of the US visa process.  And in this case, not having the affidavit would be a problem IF she had to go through the normal CFO process.  But I quite imagine she'll get a pass.

Many have left the Philippines without CFO. 

I personally know 3 Filipinas living abroad married to a foreigner who have not done anything related to CFO. 

Sometimes life isn't all about putting the round peg into the round hole or following the lemming in front of you. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 2
RogerDuMond

I am talking about the US Embassy.

" Hey. I'm petitioning my wife".

"OK, you got married here in the PH, but I don't see any record of you coming here to get the Affidavit. " .

This is what I am talking about.

You do not appear at the US Embassy for the interview, only your wife does. The US Embassy only wants to see the marriage certificate from NSO (along with other required documents) and the affidavit is not something that the US government requires, it is something that the Philippine government requires be presented to the Civil Registrar. There is no way for the Philippine government to track if the affidavit was presented or not. They take the signature of the Civil Registrar as proof that all required documents were presented.

• Like 2

Thanks. Please do not try to read into my post any bad intentions.

I've not been trying to trip/challenge/annoy the person in question. I had initially been floored by the amount of requirements needed to get married in the PH, and this is why I never did,  but, now, this guy goes- "I didn't have to get ANY of these, and I am doing OK, I am married here in the Philippines".

So, I'm just wondering if

1)  he is in danger of being discovered ( as others like him)

which you say he is not. Fine, thanks for clarifications. 

2) if I - and all the new people getting married in the PH - can from now on just ignore these requierments and start happy married lives without them.

Since most of you seem to say that with the right connections you can get the NSO records state that you are now legally married and there's no harm forthcoming this, basically means that:

If you know the right lawyer/person/pay off the right people, then Fil-Am marriages now can be conducted without the pesky affidavits and/or IMBRA bs. Am I right?

Would you recommend people bypassing the embassy altogether?

With thousands of Americans marrying Filipinas every year, can we all just start tying the knot without these two annoying reqs and not have any problems? Just like this guy?

Edited by tambok
SkyMan

Why did your wife have to get a CFO certificate? She doesn't have an immigrant visa.

Yeah, it was the married name in the pp thing.  The first day she was sent home to get all the docs we needed to get married even though she had an NSO MC.  The next day she was sent home again for other stuff not mentioned the first day like copies of my pp pages, etc.  For this and for them bringing some of the other girls there to tears and asking entirely inappropriate questions I will forever refer to them as the nazi nuns.  Another complete annoyance with the CFO is they refuse to convert her certificate into a sticker.  So now we have to carry around this certificate and her old expired pp as it has her visa in it as well as her current pp.

Quite unlikely but if I were him I'd keep quiet about it.

2) if I - and all the new people getting married in the PH - can from now on just ignore these requierments and start happy married lives without all them.

No.

Since most of you seem to say that with the right connections you can get the NSO records state that you are now legally married and there's no harm forthcoming this basically means that:   If you know the right lawyer/person/pay off the right people, then Fil-Am marriages now can be conducted without the pesky affidavits and/or IMBRA bs. Am I right?

It's really not that hard or expensive to comply so why bother?

No.

With thousands of Americans marrying Filipinas every year, can we all just start tying the knot without these two annoying reqs and not have any problems? Just like this guy?

If you've got the connections, knock yourself out.

and/or IMBRA bs

Why do you keep mentioning IMBRA?  As for as I know that only applies to dating site operators.

• Like 2
shadow

Thanks. Please do not try to read into my post any bad intentions.

I've not been trying to trip/challenge/annoy the person in question. I had initially been floored by the amount of requirements needed to get married in the PH, and this is why I never did,  but, now, this guy goes- "I didn't have to get ANY of these, and I am doing OK, I am married here in the Philippines".

So, I'm just wondering if

which you say he is not. Fine, thanks for clarifications. 

2) if I - and all the new people getting married in the PH - can from now on just ignore these requierments and start happy married lives without them.

Since most of you seem to say that with the right connections you can get the NSO records state that you are now legally married and there's no harm forthcoming this, basically means that:

If you know the right lawyer/person/pay off the right people, then Fil-Am marriages now can be conducted without the pesky affidavits and/or IMBRA bs. Am I right?

All of your questions have already been answered. Just read the thread...

• Like 2

If you've got the connections, knock yourself out.

Why do you keep mentioning IMBRA?  As for as I know that only applies to dating site operators.

Apparently, they say that when you apply for her for a visa to go to the US, there is a line/blank which asks you how you met. If it is thru some marriage broker, they ask you if you complied with IMBRA.

RogerDuMond

Apparently, they say that when you apply for her for a visa to go to the US, there is a line/blank which asks you how you met. If it is thru some marriage broker, they ask you if you complied with IMBRA.

Again, they do not talk to you only her.

• Like 1

All of your questions have already been answered. Just read the thread...

Not all and not clearly. Lots of waffly, shifty, around-and-around inconclusive speculations and off-the-tangent question-like answers. Except the last one which was pretty good.

The conclusion is that:

If you have the right connections and the money to bribe the right people, then you can get the marriage license without the affidavit, and it would be very hard for anyone to contest it. You should not trumpet about it to the world, though.

It is also assumed by me that if one wants to get a PR visa in the PH through being married, one should consult the same lawyer to grease the right palm.

However, this route is not recommended for an average, FOP ( fresh off the plane) Joe Markano who is marrying a Jonalyn Pinay and neither of whom have  money and connections/lawyers/ relatives working in the NSO office, etc.

For these garden variety humans, it is better to go the route as prescribed by law.

Headshot

Marriage brokers have been illegal in the Philippines for a long time. Do not confuse dating websites with marriage brokers. With a marriage broker, you pay to be introduced to a woman. With dating sites, you pay for a membership, and can talk with any other member anytime you want. IMBRA no more applies to these sites than it does to Facebook. Only an idiot would say they met through a marriage broker.

Again, they do not talk to you only her.

Not so. When my wife went in for a spousal visa, they let me go with her to the interview, and the interviewer asked me questions as well.

• Like 2