Sign in to follow this  
Oz Jon

A DIY Radar Reflector for Small Boats

Dragonladies.org

Maybe the roosters were the collision warning alarms?

• Like 1

Yellowfever

Radars reflectors for small craft are practically useless for the very reason that rowboat mentioned - small craft are not encumbered by their draft or maneuverability and therefore must give way to larger vessels. In addition to which, nobody is watching the radar screens anyhow. Ditto AIS in the open seas.

Oz Jon

Radars reflectors for small craft are practically useless for the very reason that rowboat mentioned - small craft are not encumbered by their draft or maneuverability and therefore must give way to larger vessels. In addition to which, nobody is watching the radar screens anyhow. Ditto AIS in the open seas.

Well, generally, ships are not encumbered. They are usualy able to change course slightly to avoid a collision and are obliged to do so, as is any other boat.

And many/most ships do have radar and do keep proper watch. Having a good radar reflector ensures that your small boat shows up on it.

Certainly, a small boat skipper needs to be vigilant and aware of the possibility that a ship will not take avoiding action, but that is not a good arguement to not have a radar reflector.

• Like 1

Oz Jon

By the way,

Any vessel with limited ability to manouvre is required to signal that situation by flying an appropriate flag or hoisting black signal "cones" or "balls" by day or mast light combinations by night.

There are also approriate sound signals.

Or even making a radio call on the "calling channel"

I know that many vessels in Phils waters cannot/will not do that and a small boat skipper needs to be aware of it - but those are the rules!

I'm sure that skippers of Phil vessels would have learned all that when they studied for their masters ticket !!!!!!!! - Lol!

Personally, If I recognise a potential collision situation, I start my engine, figure out my best escape route and call them on radio. I ask them if they have seen me and ask "what are their intentions". Usually, I change course to avoid a collision (probably by tacking or crossing astern of them?) and tell them my intentions, if it's not obvious..

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1