Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

The Best of Cebu

rainymike

Just a thought. When I was new here, I was very interested in the best places to visit and see. The problem that I had at the time was that best was tied to all my perceptions from the past. But it lead to a very narrow (although very happy view of the city).

The best for me was redefined for me a little later when I was ready for it. And it was not so much about the food, or the shopping, or the partying. It was more of making a very deep and personal connection to the country and its people for all its good and bad -- and finding myself at peace with that.

One of the best of Cebu that I really experienced was my very first trip to the beach with some friends. We went early in the morning so I could go jogging. Well, it was very nice with the sun coming up, the waves lapping on the beach, and running up the beach all alone. Beautiful - was my initial thought. And then as it got more light, the sand and water turned out to be muddy colored, I could see the drainage pouring into the ocean, and my next thought was what a piece of crap beach.

By then I had circled back to my friends and we sat down together for breakfast - some bbq squid, camotes, pickled sea weed, fish. My first inclination was to wonder where the seafood had come from given the polluted waters. But the conversation and the Red Horse (we only shared one bottle I swear) and the neighborhood waking up and smells of food cooking ... made it a classic moment. Really felt myself making some kind of connection with the land and the people and their daily struggle. Well, it still is a piece of s--- beach, but that moment was the first of the many best moments I ever had.

Sometimes the best can be more about who you are and what you're becoming much more so than where you're at. Maybe some Red Horse helps ... lol. "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." Old Lao Tzu quote. I think he had some Red Horse as well.

There will a lot more best stuff for you if you give yourself a chance to see it and feel it for what it is. 

• Like 7

Dafey

Only if you are buying.   :yahoo:

Absolutely...Bartender a Red Horse for everyone!  (that's 1 beer for everyone to share)

• Like 3

Dafey

The best for me was redefined for me a little later when I was ready for it. And it was not so much about the food, or the shopping, or the partying. It was more of making a very deep and personal connection to the country and its people for all its good and bad -- and finding myself at peace with that.

Rainymike..thats really beautiful! And so true. Everything comes back to relationships and how we live our lives not where. However, while I'm enjoying those relationships I'll take my new friends to some of these 'Best of Cebu' places that the good peeps here have shared.

• Like 2

montserrat

Best drive : as an island, Cebu itself is short of genuinely world-class scenery. But the best mountain pass is the turn off from the Toledo-Cebu highway into Lutopan township, then left again past the Spring Park resort on your right and then straight on over the mountain until you drop down between Minglanilla and Talisay. This is easily the best mountain pass on Cebu. Best coastal drive : Oslob to Santander is again, the easy pick of them.

Best foreigner bar/restaurant : most are pretty dreadful. Best one in Cebu city has to be Our Place. At least it is not in some airconditioned Mall nightmare and in a genuinely authentic section of the city. In the province the best are CAESAR'S in Toledo and STRANDED SHIPSCOOK in Balamban. Tony at Caesars has done a brilliant job turning a basic burger-and-fries chicken-and-rice and rice Jollibee imitation it opened as 7 years ago into a really decent eatery with a substantial and incredibly varied menu. Guenther at Shipscook is class, at low prices.

Best street life in Cebu city : Opon, Lapu-Lapu. It must be one of the most crowded urban areas on earth.

Best of Cebu's satellite islands : Camotes, without a doubt.

Best smaller town in Cebu : Argao, or Balamban.

Best beach on Cebu island : White beach, north of Moalboal.

Best offshore snorkelling on Cebu island : see above.

Best beach on Cebu's satellite islands : Esperanza beach, Pacijan, Camotes.

Best offshore snorkeling on Cebu's satellite islands : Tilang Diot, Pacijan, Camotes.

Best of metro Cebu's six cities : Lapu-Lapu.

Best city in Cebu outside metro Cebu : there's only three if you include Carcar, which is the worst. The easy winner, is Toledo.

Edited by montserrat
  • Like 3

thebob

best cold beer,,Our Place 45p

Best ketchup bottles? 

Only joking, I've got decades of memories from that place.

best day at a waterfall   mantayupan falls Barili

and part of a good day out with the tilapia fishing place just next door, with swimming pool, horse riding and videoke.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Best beach on Cebu. Lambog in Badian.

Best snorkelling in Cebu : the sardines of Panagsama home reef.

Best audio shop in Cebu : Harmundson (extensive range of huge sub-woofers)

Best Electronics shops : Loud and Clear / AC/DC

Best free range turkeys : Tuble Moalboal.

Best tuba station/videoke on Cebu : Coconuts Moalboal.

Best native chocolate in Cebu : Badian market.

Best bicycle shop in Cebu : YKK

Best FRP and composites shop in Cebu : Cebu Olympus Marketing.

• Like 1

woodchopper
Best beach on Cebu. Lambog in Badian.

is that white or brown sand mate?

does the water drop off to swimming depth close to shore?

Best ketchup bottles?    Only joking, I've got decades of memories from that place.  

i like the cold reasonable price beer,,45p,, and the food still good eh,,and the upstairs location is great!

Edited by woodchopper
  • Like 1

cvgtpc1

Best Ketchup Bottle - Shakeys  (never been to one in Cebu but figure it's the same real Heinz glass bottle as other Shakeys)

• Like 1

thebob

is that white or brown sand mate?

White sand that slopes out gently and is underfoot all the way out to swimming depth. None of the spiky bits that you find in Whitebeach Moalboal.

Some people dislike the videoke setups along there, but you can avoid them.

Heading south pass Badian and you will see the turn off for the golf course after a few km. Follow the golf course road through the golf course until you reach the pier. Lambog beach is on your right. There are bungalows available for overnight stays.

• Like 1

montserrat

Badian beach is good, but White Beach has offshore snorkeling.

Coconuts best videoke in Cebu. Worth thinking about. The best videoke is public, not private in videoke lounges, and public airconditioned videoke is very rare to see indeed in Cebu - but not in Manila and the NCR where even quite small towns have little aircon public bars/restos with videoke. Overall Panagsama is short of videoke places. Even Moalboal town doesn't have a lot, just the fairly rough couple of places at the market.

Skywalker

I have a video clip of me and a friend singing "Don't let the sun go down on me" in the style of George Michael and Elton John.

It was at about 2 am in a bar in Silom, Bangkok.  Some years ago.

I sometimes revisit it, to remind myself that I am not a rock star.   :dreams:

• Like 2

Enuff

I have a video clip of me and a friend singing "Don't let the sun go down on me" in the style of George Michael and Elton John.

post the video or it didn't happen

• Like 3

Woolf

Trans Central Highway

• Like 1

thebob

Coconuts best videoke in Cebu... Even Moalboal town doesn't have a lot, just the fairly rough couple of places at the market.

Coconuts is the tuba station/ videoke in Moalboal just down from Cebeco.

montserrat

Thai videoke culture is something like Filipino. They have the 5 baht coin-in-the-slot karaoke (and they call it karaoke, not videoke) machines too. However obviously their books are all in Thai, except in the back of them therefore s usually about 30 English songs,almost none of which I wanted to sing.

In the more upmarket Thai karaoke places, which are computerized and where you sing up on stage, it's much better as the database has many thousands of English language songs in them - in fact just about any well-known song you could care to name. But most Thais are not all that keen on western music really.

Philippines is the best place for videoke. But Malaysia is also good. Nearly everyone, like here speaks English so there is plenty of English language songs in the books. But also there is Malay, Chinese, and Indian ones too. Sometimes some Indian guy would be doing so e Bollywood-type pop hit and people of all sorts - Chinese, Malay, even foreigners like me - would get up to dance Indian style, for the laugh. That would never happen in the UK.

• Like 1