montserrat

Prepaid coupon taxis are different to yellow meter taxis. They really ARE much more expensive than the white taxis. Perhaps double, or 100% more as opposed to about 30% more with yellow.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• montserrat

• ex231

• A_Simple_Man

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Landed at NAIA 2 from Davao on the 11th, did the usual of traipsing upstairs to departures to get a taxi. Surprising easy it seemed. The first taxi I approached seemed eager to want to drive me so I a

I am not sure why anyone worries To put it in prespective If I get a Taxi from Melbourne Airport to the city (Like NAIA to Makati)  it is $65 (2200php)  

Not liking Manila (NCR) does NOT make somebody a "hick" or a fool. Few people in the world are really comfortable in a mega-city (even if they have to live in one), and it is even worse if it's a thir

SkyMan

I go, grudgingly, to Manila once or twice a year to the VA.  Thankfully the VA is an easy walk from NAIA so I haven't dealt with a hack there in over 4 years.

• Like 1
Highlighter

Next trip I'm going to try Uber

See what happens to the price during peak hours. Last time I tried this in Manila I got a message something along the lines "due to high demand the charge for the ride will be 3X normal" Good luck with Uber

I am in and out of the airports in Manila on a regular basis and have very few problems. At the 3 main terminals I either get the yellow metered airport taxis or white fixed price coupon taxis. Generally terminal 1 no issues getting a yellow taxi, terminal 2 and 3 this can be harder during the busy periods but the fixed price coupon taxis are usually easy to get. I'm at a bit of a loss why somebody would bother traipsing around with their luggage looking to save a couple of $ whilst at the same time getting all hot and bothered under the collar. Convenience for me is worth that little extra.

The only thing I hope for now is that a few of the international carriers move back to terminal 1. This is the easiest terminal to get through.

contraman

I am not sure why anyone worries

To put it in prespective

If I get a Taxi from Melbourne Airport to the city (Like NAIA to Makati)  it is $65 (2200php)  :idontknow:

• Like 5
Jeepney

Landed at NAIA 2 from Davao on the 11th, did the usual of traipsing upstairs to departures to get a taxi. Surprising easy it seemed. The first taxi I approached seemed eager to want to drive me so I asked if he would use the meter which he said yes to me I though great!! I'd not been well the night before from some dodgy ice from the sari sari so I thought great I'll be in Makati soon enough and can chill in the hotel....

WRONG!!!!

My partner called me via Skype just as we set off and then suddenly the driver thrusted a laminated card in my face with a list of destinations and prices. Domestic terminal.....P500......Makati.........P960. I told him to stop and I get out.

7 taxis laters, all of them had this tariff card! 

In the end of hauled my case back downstairs and took a yellow coupon cab to Makati for P350 (metered price).

I know the drivers have been thieving b*****ds for years but this is taking it to a new level. Surely this tariff card is a con? I asked one driver if the LTO and airport authorities knew what they were charging and he said yes they don't want them to use the meters anymore(!) He asked me why I didn't want to pay P960. I don't know if its just foreigners they are charging extra but I asked him how he would feel if he went abroad and was charged extra because he was foreign, He didn't like that...

Has anyone else had any experiences?

Rather than build a continuation of the Skyway I wish they would just build a train station and link it up with the MRT/LRT and that was we could avoid taxi drivers. Then when they have no business they can moan and sulk but at the end of the day us travellers will have won the battle! 

Mike

From what you are saying here, I assume you did not go to the taxi queue, on the far right...

but instead wanted to jump the queue, and tried these taxis and suv taxis waiting for the likes of you, or mostly for further trips.

If you just wait in the queue, you would get the normal metered taxis, easy to see the line of local people, willing to wait to save pesos...

• Like 3

See what happens to the price during peak hours. Last time I tried this in Manila I got a message something along the lines "due to high demand the charge for the ride will be 3X normal" Good luck with Uber

I am in and out of the airports in Manila on a regular basis and have very few problems. At the 3 main terminals I either get the yellow metered airport taxis or white fixed price coupon taxis. Generally terminal 1 no issues getting a yellow taxi, terminal 2 and 3 this can be harder during the busy periods but the fixed price coupon taxis are usually easy to get. I'm at a bit of a loss why somebody would bother traipsing around with their luggage looking to save a couple of $ whilst at the same time getting all hot and bothered under the collar. Convenience for me is worth that little extra.

The only thing I hope for now is that a few of the international carriers move back to terminal 1. This is the easiest terminal to get through.

There is also Grab Taxi but I don't know much about either one as I haven't used them yet. What are "peak hours"? Nearly every taxi I've ever been in around Manila wants "meter plus" because "heavy traffic".

I'm not as concerned with saving a couple of dollars as I am about getting my wallet raped by the taxi thieves. Last trip they were trying to get 1000p from the airport to Tune by S&R at 11pm. The cue for yellow and white "metered" (hahaha) taxis have been ridiculously long the last few times I was there.

My next trip all I'm concerned with is getting from Term 3 to Term 1 as quickly as possible. I guess Term 1 is where Thai Air operates from. Don't know though as a lot has been shuffled around.

Jeepney

My next trip all I'm concerned with is getting from Term 3 to Term 1 as quickly as possible. I guess Term 1 is where Thai Air operates from. Don't know though as a lot has been shuffled around.

On arrival in September I did same as last year, I used the PA free transfer service, it goes from the front of T1 to the rear of T3, and vv.

Just ask the PA staff for it. 

michael_retired

If I ever get deported from the PI's it will be because of a fight with a taxi driver in Manila!   When you go to arrivals to get a cab make sure you get one that is dropping off a fare.  

Jester

Can you tell me why to seek out a cab dropping off a fare, just trying  to learn....

Everyone  hates these damn taxi criminals! 

On arrival in September I did same as last year, I used the PA free transfer service, it goes from the front of T1 to the rear of T3, and vv.

Just ask the PA staff for it. 

By "PA" I'm guessing you mean Philippine Air? I knew about the airport shuttle but does PAL run one too?

I rode the airport shuttle once from T1 to T3 and was dropped off behind T3 but wasn't sure if that was also a pick up point. That will be helpful for me if it is.

Jeepney

By "PA" I'm guessing you mean Philippine Air? I knew about the airport shuttle but does PAL run one too?

I rode the airport shuttle once from T1 to T3 and was dropped off behind T3 but wasn't sure if that was also a pick up point. That will be helpful for me if it is.

I used it that way about two years ago, since that time I always stayed a few days in Manila between my local flight and international flight,

just in case of weather delays.

But on arrival last september, I seen people waiting in the rear of T3, so I assume it did not change.

This transfer goes through the airport till domestic, not around the airport, so it is a lot faster also.

Yes, I mean PA as Phil Air, they may asked if you arrived with PA, but never asked for ticket or boarding card orso, they carry a list to put your name on...

Highlighter

There is also Grab Taxi but I don't know much about either one as I haven't used them yet. What are "peak hours"? Nearly every taxi I've ever been in around Manila wants "meter plus" because "heavy traffic".

I'm not as concerned with saving a couple of dollars as I am about getting my wallet raped by the taxi thieves. Last trip they were trying to get 1000p from the airport to Tune by S&R at 11pm. The cue for yellow and white "metered" (hahaha) taxis have been ridiculously long the last few times I was there.

Good question, yet to work this one out. Definitely all day (18 hrs +) Monday and Friday. Riding Manila taxis frequently I am seeing less and less of the "meter plus" if I do it's generally only meter + 50, which I then only pay this, normally I would tip more than 50, so their loss. I would say 95% of the taxis I ride in Manila are on the meter.

Edited by Highlighter
shadow

Landed at NAIA 2 from Davao on the 11th, did the usual of traipsing upstairs to departures to get a taxi. Surprising easy it seemed. The first taxi I approached seemed eager to want to drive me so I asked if he would use the meter which he said yes to me I though great!! I'd not been well the night before from some dodgy ice from the sari sari so I thought great I'll be in Makati soon enough and can chill in the hotel....

WRONG!!!!

My partner called me via Skype just as we set off and then suddenly the driver thrusted a laminated card in my face with a list of destinations and prices. Domestic terminal.....P500......Makati.........P960. I told him to stop and I get out.

7 taxis laters, all of them had this tariff card! 

In the end of hauled my case back downstairs and took a yellow coupon cab to Makati for P350 (metered price).

I know the drivers have been thieving b*****ds for years but this is taking it to a new level. Surely this tariff card is a con? I asked one driver if the LTO and airport authorities knew what they were charging and he said yes they don't want them to use the meters anymore(!) He asked me why I didn't want to pay P960. I don't know if its just foreigners they are charging extra but I asked him how he would feel if he went abroad and was charged extra because he was foreign, He didn't like that...

Has anyone else had any experiences?

Rather than build a continuation of the Skyway I wish they would just build a train station and link it up with the MRT/LRT and that was we could avoid taxi drivers. Then when they have no business they can moan and sulk but at the end of the day us travellers will have won the battle! 

Mike

Nothing new. I saw these "cards" back in the 90s.

I would say 95% of the taxis I ride in Manila are on the meter.

I wish I had your luck. My experience has been 30-40% refuse to use the meter and of the ones that will 70% ask for "meter plus". Several times I've had them agree to "meter" and after we've gone a 1/2 block they start their "meter plus" crap. I've bailed out on more than a couple doing that. I've even thought about paying the "plus 50" and no tip but then I'd have to go through the inevitable "no change sir".

I had one taxi in Manila pick my GF and I up in the rain, agree reluctantly to the meter going to the airport, take us 4 blocks and then tell us to get out he changed his mind. I've had a few good taxi drivers in Manila and I tipped accordingly. But imo most of them are just straight up assholes.

• Like 2
throttleplate

in september at naia i looked for a taxi upstairs to bring me to hotel by the robinsons in manila close to the supreme court courthouse and i was gettin prices fom 2000php to 700php and was goin down the line untill one taxi agreed to 500php. The taxi callers out front top floor are very agressive and scamming to get you into taxi, worse i have ever seen it.

i must add that half way to the hotel traffic was very bad as it was rush hour and the taxi man asked my wife for an extra 100 php so being in a good mood while listening to his country music cds while chillin in the pasenger seat i had no problem giving it to him.

i must add that half way to the hotel traffic was very bad as it was rush hour and the taxi man asked my wife for an extra 100 php so being in a good mood while listening to his country music cds while chillin in the pasenger seat i had no problem giving it to him.

He already bent you over charging you 500p for a fare that should have been around 200p and you give him 100p more?   :ROFLMAO:

• Like 5