Landed at NAIA 2 from Davao on the 11th, did the usual of traipsing upstairs to departures to get a taxi. Surprising easy it seemed. The first taxi I approached seemed eager to want to drive me so I asked if he would use the meter which he said yes to me I though great!! I'd not been well the night before from some dodgy ice from the sari sari so I thought great I'll be in Makati soon enough and can chill in the hotel....

WRONG!!!!

My partner called me via Skype just as we set off and then suddenly the driver thrusted a laminated card in my face with a list of destinations and prices. Domestic terminal.....P500......Makati.........P960. I told him to stop and I get out.

7 taxis laters, all of them had this tariff card! 

In the end of hauled my case back downstairs and took a yellow coupon cab to Makati for P350 (metered price).

I know the drivers have been thieving b*****ds for years but this is taking it to a new level. Surely this tariff card is a con? I asked one driver if the LTO and airport authorities knew what they were charging and he said yes they don't want them to use the meters anymore(!) He asked me why I didn't want to pay P960. I don't know if its just foreigners they are charging extra but I asked him how he would feel if he went abroad and was charged extra because he was foreign, He didn't like that...

Has anyone else had any experiences?

Rather than build a continuation of the Skyway I wish they would just build a train station and link it up with the MRT/LRT and that was we could avoid taxi drivers. Then when they have no business they can moan and sulk but at the end of the day us travellers will have won the battle! 

Mike

• Like 5
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• montserrat

• ex231

• Monsoon

• A_Simple_Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Landed at NAIA 2 from Davao on the 11th, did the usual of traipsing upstairs to departures to get a taxi. Surprising easy it seemed. The first taxi I approached seemed eager to want to drive me so I a

I am not sure why anyone worries To put it in prespective If I get a Taxi from Melbourne Airport to the city (Like NAIA to Makati)  it is $65 (2200php)  

Not liking Manila (NCR) does NOT make somebody a "hick" or a fool. Few people in the world are really comfortable in a mega-city (even if they have to live in one), and it is even worse if it's a thir

If I ever get deported from the PI's it will be because of a fight with a taxi driver in Manila!   When you go to arrivals to get a cab make sure you get one that is dropping off a fare.  

Jester

Edited by Jester
  • Like 1

I believe those are the special rate taxis.

chances are if you didn't have to wait at least an hour that's what it was

last trip there I saw the special signage with the posted prices

sometimes its only a 10 minute wait when the taxi lane is 500 people deep

pay or wait........... kind of sux but I will continue to use instead of waiting

• Like 3

Thank god i will never have that kind of problem

They will pick me up at the airport :D

• Like 1
throttleplate

in september at naia i looked for a taxi upstairs to bring me to hotel by the robinsons in manila close to the supreme court courthouse and i was gettin prices fom 2000php to 700php and was goin down the line untill one taxi agreed to 500php. The taxi callers out front top floor are very agressive and scamming to get you into taxi, worse i have ever seen it.

• Like 1

I just used the coupon taxi last month, 330 peso from terminal three to Makati. What's the point of going through all this trouble? Are these taxi's that everyone is trying to use supposed to be dramatically cheaper?

contraman

Slightly off topic, but while they are trying to clean up the corruption at the baggage checks, it would be a good time to extend this to the Taxis and other scams at the same time :idontknow:

• Like 5
Rocketman

I've had similar issues before in Cebu when it's busy, like Christmas time.  I stand in a line and finally get a cab only to be told AFTER we leave that he wants extra.  I just say "whatever" and when we land at my destination I pay the meter and tell him to call the cops if he wants.  I've never had an issue (I suppose because what he's asking for is illegal and he knows it).  Yes, I could have a problem but I'm willing to chance it rather than walk back to the taxi line.

• Like 1

I've had similar issues before in Cebu when it's busy, like Christmas time.  I stand in a line and finally get a cab only to be told AFTER we leave that he wants extra

I can't count the times that has happened to me in Manila. I'd rather take an ass whipping than deal with those thieving bastuds. Next trip I'm going to try Uber. It HAS to be better.

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man
Are these taxi's that everyone is trying to use supposed to be dramatically cheaper?

Last week, arriving at Terminal 3 on a Sunday, I had a taxi tout with a fixed price list in his hand trying to get me into a taxi for 1,400 pesos to Makati.  When I said no he offered to give me a discount to 1,200.  I said I would go check the line up for the yellow taxis.  It was a short line and I waited 10 minutes for a yellow taxi on a meter.  The ride was 20 minutes and the meter was 142 pesos.

142 pesos vs 1400 pesos.  Is it dramatically cheaper?

EDIT:  What is the closest and cheapest mall to go to with the fixed rate taxis and what is that fixed rate?  Anyone?  I am thinking that next time I arrive at Terminal 3 I could get the fast, fixed rate taxi to the mall in the morning, have lunch and do a bit of shopping until check in time at the hotel, and then get a cheap taxi from the mall.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 2

I always go straight for the yellow taxi.  The airport writes down their plate number and information before you leave.  Once you arrived to your destination, ALWAYS ask for a receipt.  If they don't issue you one, don't pay.  Threaten to call the airport and report them.  I haven't had problems with them for years.

• Like 1

Last week, arriving at Terminal 3 on a Sunday, I had a taxi tout with a fixed price list in his hand trying to get me into a taxi for 1,400 pesos to Makati.  When I said no he offered to give me a discount to 1,200.  I said I would go check the line up for the yellow taxis.  It was a short line and I waited 10 minutes for a yellow taxi on a meter.  The ride was 20 minutes and the meter was 142 pesos.

142 pesos vs 1400 pesos.  Is it dramatically cheaper?

Your rate was cheaper than mine, but mine was still cheaper than the prices being quoted to all the people that are posting that  they are making an extra effort to go to the departure area of the airport to find taxi's. Why not just grab a coupon taxi? 

smokey

taxi do the same crap at the port..... ride from pier 4 to cherry blossom in manila normally 210 peso ... leaving the port they at first ask 2,000 ... 20 min . later its down to 800 ... one hour later its down to 500 .... seems only special taxi are allowed to pick up passengers ???????????????????   simple math you have 500 people who need a taxi and they only allow 20 taxi to enter the gate ...

ITs more fun where ????????????????hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
contraman

taxi do the same crap at the port..... ride from pier 4 to cherry blossom in manila normally 210 peso ... leaving the port they at first ask 2,000 ... 20 min . later its down to 800 ... one hour later its down to 500 .... seems only special taxi are allowed to pick up passengers ???????????????????   simple math you have 500 people who need a taxi and they only allow 20 taxi to enter the gate ...

ITs more fun where ????????????????hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

They do exactly the same thing at Ocean Park Manila after the last show.

The trick is to just walk out to the main road and hail a cab :idontknow:

• Like 2
montserrat

I just used the coupon taxi last month, 330 peso from terminal three to Makati. What's the point of going through all this trouble? Are these taxi's that everyone is trying to use supposed to be dramatically cheaper?

No white meter taxis are not much cheaper than the yellow meter taxis - only about 30% on average, with them being relatively less expensive the greater the distance travelled.

Flagfall with white meter taxis is 40 pesos as against 70 pesos with yellow.

Tariff per unit of distance travelled is 3.50 with white as against 4, with yellow. Which means a ride in a yellow taxi from the airport to Malate is about 220 in a white taxi and 300 in a yellow.

All those guys that say somebody should lug shitloads of luggage all over the place to get a white taxi as opposed to a yellow one and save themselves 2 dollars basically don't know the prices.

• Like 1