A Filipina's Perspective of the Most Dangerous Places in the Philippines for Foreigners as well as Advice on How to Stay Safe

shadow

On another thread today or yesterday you implied most of the murders were extrajudicial killings of people involved in drugs. Now you are saying most are contract killings to avenge insults. It can't be both.

It is both, and I don't think anyone could say for sure which murders were extrajudicial killings, which were contract killings, and which were drug personalities clashing. Any way you slice it, it is usually carried out by two men on a motorcycle.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• ex231

• smokey

• RogerDat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought some may enjoy this. She is definitely over the top with the safety advice and I am sure everyone here has failed to follow at least one of the items on her list of safety precautions. (For

Well, I live in Melbourne Oz, I feel (and am) perfectly safe I don't own a gun and (apart from police, armored car guards and maybe some farmers and registered gun club members, under strict contro

Absolutely! If you let them take advantage of you once they'll be back 7 more times  trying to do it again.

Posted Images

JamesMusslewhite

My wife lived and worked in Surigao City, I been there around 7 times, every time I go there my wife want let go out by myself, I go out with her or her friends or family, the last time we were there 2 years, her family  live at Jabonga about 2 hours away, she would not even take me there, she was frightened I would be kidnapped by the freedom fighters very active around that area, even some of her ex work mates told us there regular fighting and shootings going on just outside Surigao City, there been murders of foreigners in Surigao city mostly caused by family members , after last time there a family member who just been realised from jail for murder asking lots of questions about me, my wife mum got very worried for my safety, or when we go there next year her family come and visit is in Surigao city . 

Sorry I have lived in Surigao City for over 7 years now, and the level of paranoia your family expresses is a bit over the top. The NPA (your so called freedom fighters) do not and have not kidnap any white foreigners in the over 7 years that I have lived here. I have too many friends in the PNP not to be informed of issues with foreigners. The Surigao Expat community is two well networked to have miss this carnage your wife's family seems to be telling you. We live in Sabang # and Sabang 3 and I have walked down almost every road and back ally in this city both day and night and I travel throughout this region and never once had any occasions to worry.

There was a German stabbed to death but two men in a robbery (both apprehended), in 2012 it is believed a Canadian businessman was murdered by two hired guns contracted by his wife, and a Swiss guy if believed to have men murdered by another Swiss guy. There are many expats who live in Surigao City and do not fear traveling about the countryside. There are also many expats who travel here for the Siargao Island international surfing and fishing competitions. In the Surigao del Norte are there are over 2,000 expats live in the cities, towns and jungles in peaceful coexistence with the locals and the NPA. Most foreigners die here from old age, alcohol and suicides.

Yes perhaps you should stay away, the boogie man or wak-waks might get you. 

• Like 4
Davaoeno

Now you are saying most are contract killings to avenge insults.

You read a different post from shadow than I did, because that is not what he said at all !!

• Like 2
smokey

In Cebu city? I'm not aware of any murder case after the robbery at Lapu-Lapu.

You mean I could deal with annoying neighbors by just P5000? That's good price indeed.

works both ways ....    OK so the thread should read if it did not happen to me its not true...  I have never stepped in dog shit on the street so that means there is NO dog shit on the streets... I have never had a drunk barf on me so that means there must not be any drunks in Cebu .... or talisay so on and so on....

Edited by smokey
  • Like 4

You mean I could deal with annoying neighbors by just P5000? That's good price indeed. Like This

Best you assume that the price does not include any 'repercussions'.

Sorry I have lived in Surigao City for over 7 years now, and the level of paranoia your family expresses is a bit over the top. The NPA (your so called freedom fighters) do not and have not kidnap any white foreigners in the over 7 years that I have lived here. I have too many friends in the PNP not to be informed of issues with foreigners. The Surigao Expat community is two well networked to have miss this carnage your wife's family seems to be telling you. We live in Sabang # and Sabang 3 and I have walked down almost every road and back ally in this city both day and night and I travel throughout this region and never once had any occasions to worry.

There was a German stabbed to death but two men in a robbery (both apprehended), in 2012 it is believed a Canadian businessman was murdered by two hired guns contracted by his wife, and a Swiss guy if believed to have men murdered by another Swiss guy. There are many expats who live in Surigao City and do not fear traveling about the countryside. There are also many expats who travel here for the Siargao Island international surfing and fishing competitions. In the Surigao del Norte are there are over 2,000 expats live in the cities, towns and jungles in peaceful coexistence with the locals and the NPA. Most foreigners die here from old age, alcohol and suicides.

Yes perhaps you should stay away, the boogie man or wak-waks might get you. 

James I see you live where the Chinese are taking soil to fill up the Spratlys. Could you open another post and tell us what's is going on there? If it's true I dont even know why the Philippine government are complaining abut China.

JamesMusslewhite

James I see you live where the Chinese are taking soil to fill up the Spratlys. Could you open another post and tell us what's is going on there? If it's true I dont even know why the Philippine government are complaining abut China.

I do not know enough about the subject or the workings of any mining operations that would be trucking up the soils from further South. I do not know of any dirt/sand removal operations being operated on any of the islands in my area. There is a loading area in Surigao City but I believe this is merely a staging area where mineral rich soils and ores are trucked up from mines down South and staged there to be loaded onto ships. I thought China was primarily  getting most of the soils they were using in the Spratlys from their own dredges they presently have operating in that area.

"Reports of Chinese reclamation activities in the Spratlys first emerged in May 2014. But it was not until the release of high-definition satellite imagery later in the year that the full extent of the terraforming became apparent.1 The imagery shows that since September 2013, China has employed a large fleet of dredging ships to reclaim land around seven features using sand and coral, incorporating small concrete outposts constructed during the 1990s. Even before the reclamations were completed, heavy construction equipment and cement plants were transported to the man-made islands. Work commenced immediately on military and civilian infrastructure including piers, harbours, helipads, multi-storey buildings and landing strips. The United States estimates that China has so far reclaimed 2,000 acres of land in the Spratlys.2" http://www.eurasiareview.com/26062015-chinas-terraforming-in-the-spratlys-a-game-changer-in-south-china-sea-analysis/

I have never seen or heard of a Chinese dredging ship operating in these waters or around these islands.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite