A Filipina's Perspective of the Most Dangerous Places in the Philippines for Foreigners as well as Advice on How to Stay Safe

montserrat

The advice is very restrained by the standards of most Filipinos. Usually,Filipinos are often well over-the-top and paranoid when it comes to foreigners.

• Like 2
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• ex231

• smokey

• RogerDat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought some may enjoy this. She is definitely over the top with the safety advice and I am sure everyone here has failed to follow at least one of the items on her list of safety precautions. (For

Well, I live in Melbourne Oz, I feel (and am) perfectly safe I don't own a gun and (apart from police, armored car guards and maybe some farmers and registered gun club members, under strict contro

Absolutely! If you let them take advantage of you once they'll be back 7 more times  trying to do it again.

Posted Images

* I guess criminals and a few other "crazies" do too, but they are few and far between and the police seem to deal with them pretty well.

Must give credit to our police force...even the wife is amazed how quickly they usually catch law breakers but also how cases that are decades old, are persisted with and quite often get solved.   Yes Melb. is relatively safe but still you need to try and avoid certain areas........

• Like 2

Well,

I live in Melbourne Oz,

I feel (and am) perfectly safe

I don't own a gun and (apart from police, armored car guards and maybe some farmers and registered gun club members, under strict control) very few *others do either.

Occasionaly I chat/drink with strangers in regular pubs (not night clubs or Hells Angels haunts - Lol!)

Often walk streets at night, fearing only the occasional drunk driver (very few streets may be dangerous - you would have to go looking for them)

I agree that you would be wise not to do some of these things in some other "first-world" international cities, but Melbourne (and most other places in Oz) are not among them.

* I guess criminals and a few other "crazies" do too, but they are few and far between and the police seem to deal with them pretty well.

Ditto Sydney, even in the so called red light district of Kings Cross....

Places like the Gold Coast at high holiday season can be noisy but in 40 years in Oz and doing a great deal of travel, i never ever felt any form of danger...... 

• Like 4

My wife lived and worked in Surigao City, I been there around 7 times, every time I go there my wife want let go out by myself, I go out with her or her friends or family, ...

..., there been murders of foreigners in Surigao city mostly caused by family members , after last time there a family member who just been realised from jail for murder asking lots of questions about me, .. .

Sounds like the danger there is not so much outside the house, as inside....!

• Like 4
RogerDat

Think about walking drunk or not down average street in Cebu, or mactan at night. Most of the man traps are constructed by the DOWR! (missing sewer and man hole covers)

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Going by this info I should have been dead many years ago. For 6 or 8 years here, my doors never had latches, let alone locks, living in a "remote" area, no fence, with unpaid help on the premises most of the time. I party mostly with the locals 3-4 nights per week.

In the US, something would be stolen from me almost every week. Here my list of stolen items in over a decade would not be as long as most months in the US. I leave stuff out in plain sight all the time, my motorcycle sometimes sits on the street overnight with the key in it.

Of course, my dogs are pretty intimidating, lovable and gentle as they are.

It's all about location, location, location…

I'm currently in Central Florida and I never have to lock doors or worry about anyone breaking into my home.

However, 40 miles away in Orlando, it's a different story…

You wouldn't even have to go half that distance from where you live into parts of Dumaguete to find the same thing…

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
shadow

It's all about location, location, location…

You wouldn't even have to go half that distance from where you live into parts of Dumaguete to find the same thing…

True, but you would not find me living there, or afraid to go there in the wee hours of the morning. Actually I did live in some of those areas for a time (Piapi, Tinago).

• Like 2
montserrat

I have never been anywhere in the Philippines, or at least stayed a night, where I've been afraid to go outside on the grounds of personal safety at like 3am or something. Certainly not Cebu. Or even Manila.

• Like 2
miles-high

1. Zamboanga 2. Cotabato 3. Basilan 4. Jolo 5. Davao del Norte 6. Manila 7. Angeles City

We should add Pasay (where NAIA is) on the list... I hear that now they even try "laglag-bala" into your pocket... Guess we cannot wrap ourselves with the plastic bags... Perhaps, the world governments (e.g., US State Department) should issue a travel warning to the Philippines and hope it will improve... :(

• Like 3
shadow

How about Negros Oriental --- 19 murders in October this year.

http://www.philstar.com:8080/region/2015/11/13/1521454/shooting-cases-negros-oriental-alarming-mayor-sagarbarria-says-dumaguete

"City of the gentle people",   yeah right.

Most of the murders here are tied in with drug personalities. For the average person it is quite safe.

• Like 2

Going by this info I should have been dead many years ago. For 6 or 8 years here, my doors never had latches, let alone locks, living in a "remote" area, no fence, with unpaid help on the premises most of the time. I party mostly with the locals 3-4 nights per week.

In the US, something would be stolen from me almost every week. Here my list of stolen items in over a decade would not be as long as most months in the US. I leave stuff out in plain sight all the time, my motorcycle sometimes sits on the street overnight with the key in it.

Of course, my dogs are pretty intimidating, lovable and gentle as they are.

Some guys are afraid of their own shadow!

• Like 2

How about Negros Oriental --- 19 murders in October this year.

http://www.philstar.com:8080/region/2015/11/13/1521454/shooting-cases-negros-oriental-alarming-mayor-sagarbarria-says-dumaguete

"City of the gentle people",   yeah right.

And not a single one of them solved. Outside of a couple of parking tickets being issued I've never seen any laws being enforced.

• Like 2
shadow

And not a single one of them solved.

There is a reason for that which I will not discuss here, but it's not too unlike Davao in that respect!

• Like 2

Like what my grandfather used to say (mom side)

theres a snake in every mound :lol:

To this day i dont know what he meant by that :D