Sign in to follow this  
Tullioz

A Filipina's Perspective of the Most Dangerous Places in the Philippines for Foreigners as well as Advice on How to Stay Safe

darrener

The vast majority of it is pretty sound advice IMO..........

• Like 4

Salty Dog

I'm white but because I treat everyone with equal respect the locals treat me just like one of them.

Oops, forgot I'm back in the USA and I am a local.

Never mind.

• Like 8

rainymike

I think it's not bad advice if you're starting out in this country. And, with time and experience, you learn where you have some wiggle room to go off in another direction.

• Like 7

ProudPinay

Didn't see anything listed that as a "smart" man wouldn't know already in the first place (with all the resources social media afford for everyone plus a good dose of advise from other people who has visited PI and had both good and bad experience). Let's face it, why you come to Philippines in the first place? We asked ourselves why if its too dangerous and corrupt and chances are you'll fall into being victimize...perhaps because we saw a  country that one hard earned money can give you a "better" deal and perhaps what they say "live like a king" if you play it right, and maybe after playing the field you might "struck" gold and find the love of your life. Don't be stupid going to places you are not welcome. When people had the "intention" to do bad things, they'll do it and no matter how you barricade yourself with bodyguards and high tech security system they'll get you one way or another, when its your time...Baby, its your time!... maybe you should ask her if she can keep you safe away from all that and find out what that relates to her. I always think that Foreigner have seen the good about Filipinas (from working with them or how they were on their community) and they say...they're good people, women are smart, sweet and you treat them right they believe in "forever", they work hard and good housewife material.  For those of you that have found such gem...good on you, they do exist. A blog like hers is good because it make you think....some smart **s Filipina telling me what I already know about this country. What she didn't tell you is that...not every Filipina is that NEEDY, OPPORTUNIST, GULLIBLE...., there are some that deserve to meet a good man and has something to offer in the table. That, not ALL foreigner have MILLIONS and in truth they're just like anyone else trying to meet ends. Hoping to live a little better life in PI...Maybe, you're right, if she does live in one of those high rises in Makati, she want to warn you guys about bad things in PI and god knows maybe she could offer solutions to that....quite a "market" these days (What she selling?)....good luck to you. Be smart out there....

• Like 6

miles-high

I follow her advice when I am in New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, LA or wherever in this world...

• Like 6

Hy H

I follow her advice when I am in New York, Newark, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, LA or wherever in this world...

Thats right.

Thinkabout where you live now or left from to PI.   How safe locals feel there?   Why you need to own a gun?    Do you go to drinking sessions with strangers?      How often you go walking streets at night without fear? 

cvgtpc1

Three 225 lb US hood rats or three 125 lb PI locals...I know what I'd pick everyday lol Edited by cvgtpc1

Pman

I thought some may enjoy this. She is definitely over the top with the safety advice and I am sure everyone here has failed to follow at least one of the items on her list of safety precautions. (For me it is over half) Since she lives in Makati City that may have some influence on her reasoning. The link at the bottom goes into a little more detail than what I posted here. 

1. Zamboanga
2. Cotabato
3. Basilan
4. Jolo
5. Davao del Norte
6. Manila 
7. Angeles City

She was too afraid even to mention Siquijor...

• Like 4

smokey

there is NO evil till evil comes knocking at your door

• Like 1

shadow

Going by this info I should have been dead many years ago. For 6 or 8 years here, my doors never had latches, let alone locks, living in a "remote" area, no fence, with unpaid help on the premises most of the time. I party mostly with the locals 3-4 nights per week.

In the US, something would be stolen from me almost every week. Here my list of stolen items in over a decade would not be as long as most months in the US. I leave stuff out in plain sight all the time, my motorcycle sometimes sits on the street overnight with the key in it.

Of course, my dogs are pretty intimidating, lovable and gentle as they are.

• Like 9

baby43

My wife lived and worked in Surigao City, I been there around 7 times, every time I go there my wife want let go out by myself, I go out with her or her friends or family, the last time we were there 2 years, her family  live at Jabonga about 2 hours away, she would not even take me there, she was frightened I would be kidnapped by the freedom fighters very active around that area, even some of her ex work mates told us there regular fighting and shootings going on just outside Surigao City, there been murders of foreigners in Surigao city mostly caused by family members , after last time there a family member who just been realised from jail for murder asking lots of questions about me, my wife mum got very worried for my safety, or when we go there next year her family come and visit is in Surigao city . 

• Like 3

maximian

I party mostly with the locals 3-4 nights per week.

Lightweight :biggrin_01:

• Like 2

ex231

Lightweight :biggrin_01:

He didn't say he ONLY partied with the locals ;)

• Like 1

montserrat

The advice is very restrained by the standards of most Filipinos. Usually,Filipinos are often well over-the-top and paranoid when it comes to foreigners.

• Like 2

ozboy

* I guess criminals and a few other "crazies" do too, but they are few and far between and the police seem to deal with them pretty well.

Must give credit to our police force...even the wife is amazed how quickly they usually catch law breakers but also how cases that are decades old, are persisted with and quite often get solved.   Yes Melb. is relatively safe but still you need to try and avoid certain areas........

• Like 2

Ozbrum

Well,

I live in Melbourne Oz,

I feel (and am) perfectly safe

I don't own a gun and (apart from police, armored car guards and maybe some farmers and registered gun club members, under strict control) very few *others do either.

Occasionaly I chat/drink with strangers in regular pubs (not night clubs or Hells Angels haunts - Lol!)

Often walk streets at night, fearing only the occasional drunk driver (very few streets may be dangerous - you would have to go looking for them)

I agree that you would be wise not to do some of these things in some other "first-world" international cities, but Melbourne (and most other places in Oz) are not among them.

* I guess criminals and a few other "crazies" do too, but they are few and far between and the police seem to deal with them pretty well.

Ditto Sydney, even in the so called red light district of Kings Cross....

Places like the Gold Coast at high holiday season can be noisy but in 40 years in Oz and doing a great deal of travel, i never ever felt any form of danger...... 

• Like 4

Sven

My wife lived and worked in Surigao City, I been there around 7 times, every time I go there my wife want let go out by myself, I go out with her or her friends or family, ...

..., there been murders of foreigners in Surigao city mostly caused by family members , after last time there a family member who just been realised from jail for murder asking lots of questions about me, .. .

Sounds like the danger there is not so much outside the house, as inside....!

• Like 4

RogerDat

Think about walking drunk or not down average street in Cebu, or mactan at night. Most of the man traps are constructed by the DOWR! (missing sewer and man hole covers)

• Like 2

Salty Dog

Going by this info I should have been dead many years ago. For 6 or 8 years here, my doors never had latches, let alone locks, living in a "remote" area, no fence, with unpaid help on the premises most of the time. I party mostly with the locals 3-4 nights per week.

In the US, something would be stolen from me almost every week. Here my list of stolen items in over a decade would not be as long as most months in the US. I leave stuff out in plain sight all the time, my motorcycle sometimes sits on the street overnight with the key in it.

Of course, my dogs are pretty intimidating, lovable and gentle as they are.

It's all about location, location, location…

I'm currently in Central Florida and I never have to lock doors or worry about anyone breaking into my home.

However, 40 miles away in Orlando, it's a different story…

You wouldn't even have to go half that distance from where you live into parts of Dumaguete to find the same thing…

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2

shadow

It's all about location, location, location…

You wouldn't even have to go half that distance from where you live into parts of Dumaguete to find the same thing…

True, but you would not find me living there, or afraid to go there in the wee hours of the morning. Actually I did live in some of those areas for a time (Piapi, Tinago).

• Like 2

montserrat

I have never been anywhere in the Philippines, or at least stayed a night, where I've been afraid to go outside on the grounds of personal safety at like 3am or something. Certainly not Cebu. Or even Manila.

• Like 2

miles-high

1. Zamboanga 2. Cotabato 3. Basilan 4. Jolo 5. Davao del Norte 6. Manila 7. Angeles City

We should add Pasay (where NAIA is) on the list... I hear that now they even try "laglag-bala" into your pocket... Guess we cannot wrap ourselves with the plastic bags... Perhaps, the world governments (e.g., US State Department) should issue a travel warning to the Philippines and hope it will improve... :(

• Like 3