Sign in to follow this  
noddle

Making Clean water..

noddle

Hi,

I saw another topic here asking about where to get filters to clean water and I'm wondered if anyone uses Evaporation to make clean water.

my brother uses it to get clean distilled water for his solar batteries

the way it works is to have a shallow pool of water , let it heat in the sun and capture the clean water

what my brother built is like in the picture, ( poorly drawn by me )
a rectangle box, on a slope with a sealed sheet of glass over the top, and a capture tub at the end

as the water heats up,  it evaporates onto the inside of the glass, and once enough is build up
it moved down the inside of the glass, out to the collection tube, then drains into bottles for storage.

Edit : looks like I put in in the wrong spot, could someone move it for me please.

Nigel

post-15655-0-79657100-1447216416_thumb.png

Edited by Paul
added image code to post
  • Like 1

AussieLex

Simple and effective and even more so if you paint the top of the glass black as it absorbs the suns heat better. I don't know what size system you would need to produce enough to be viable for daily use.  Also remember that as distilled water there are no minerals etc in the water and our bodies kind of need those as well ... 

• Like 1

noddle

In Tasmania, it was making about 4 / 5 liters on a sunny day

Paul

Recently, I have been doing some serious looking online for information. Here is a file I came up with, how to build a bio-sand filter.

Bio Sand Filter Construction

cawst_BSF_filter_components.jpg

I've been adding information to this folder: Water

Also, don't forget about SODIS 

SODIS_ (1).jpg SODIS_ (2).jpg SODIS_ (3).jpg SODIS_ (4).jpg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Woolf

Simple and effective and even more so if you paint the top of the glass black as it absorbs the suns heat better. I don't know what size system you would need to produce enough to be viable for daily use.  Also remember that as distilled water there are no minerals etc in the water and our bodies kind of need those as well ... 

I am no so sure that you want the glass to be hot, could be a problem that the wapores would not condensate on it

the colder the glass wapores will condensate easier

noddle

The bottom of the storage rectangle box ( sun side ) is black to generate heat under the water

• Like 1

NOSOCALPINOY
Ever heard of NIPPON POLY GLU? Here's a video clip of the Japanese inventor helping out poor countries in need of clean water.  

• Like 4

rep1

what's the point of DIY when you can just buy it??

NOSOCALPINOY

what's the point of DIY when you can just buy it??

The Nippon Poly Glu can not DIY without building the apparatus. The point of the video clip was, can anyone here build something like that that saves thousands of lives or even millions of children in remote poor countries with safe drinking water for free and or at discount prices for the product? It's truly an amazing product just made from soy beans IMHO.

Besides, the OP was about "Making Clean Water" and video clip showed river and or sewage water that people from poor countries were drinking! That in it's self is truly an accomplishment by the Japanese inventor/philanthropist in the video.     

• Like 1

thebob

The OP is what is called a solar still. Some efficient designs drip water onto stretched black cloth, instead of evaporating the surface of a mass of water. The larger surface area of the damp cloth increases production.

Shading a stripe at the top of the sheet of glass, produces a temperature difference that aids condensation. The condensed water running down the inside of the glass, helps to keep the glass cooler.

The design in the OP would be more efficient if the slope was across the short side of the box, instead of the long side as pictured. I would route the output to another smaller but otherwise identical still, incase contaminants transfer due to splashing caused by drips from the glass, into the raw water.

I'd flush this system daily to prevent build up of minerals in the tank.

If the box could be made airtight, efficiency could be improved by modifying a bicycle pump to pull some vacuum as water evaporates at a lower temperature at a lower pressure.

Paul

what my brother built is like in the picture, ( poorly drawn by me )

During my looking around for various PDF files, and other information available, I came across a PDF from CAWST and ripped the following pages from it. 

I thought they would be useful for this thread. I hope you feel the same way.

Solar Distillation.pdf

• Like 1

Ozepete

It's simple to clean dirty water.

We lived where the only water was usually filthy yet we had good clean water for the residence by using Filter Alum.  

Process:  Dirty water was pumped into a large tank (3000 or 5000 gals, cant remember). Then about a pound of 'Filter Alum' per 1000 gallons was mixed with water in a bucket until runny.

Pour the mix into the big tank and stir with a clean shovel. Leave for 3-5 days then top up a nearby 1000 gal tank with the cleaned water. A small pressure pump on this small tank provided clean water.

When the last of the cleaned water was pumped over to the smaller tank we would clean another batch and so on.

Had this water tested by an American chemist friend at Campbells Soup and he said it was cleaner than rain water.

We used this method for many years and never had a problem. Filter Alum is very cheap.

Cheers..

• Like 3

Ozepete

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/leavenerthickener/alum-powder.html

Found that, after reading your post. Thanks, mate.

It works great, the only thing is that it cleans the water so well that it ends up a bit hard. (Hard to soap up etc) so we used to throw in a packet of 'Percil' clothes wash powder to a big tank full. Percil was a soap powder not a detergent but I guess these days there are proper water softeners.

Until we got onto this, thanks to getting matey with a Yank who come out here when Campbells soup started here, we used to joke that you got out of the shower dirtier than you went in. Filter alum was a God send to us and others that got onto it also besides it is simple and low cost,  Cheers.

• Like 1