Sign in to follow this  
montserrat

Air Asia Philippines

montserrat

I've been on many Air Asia flights before in Malaysia and Thailand, but never before, in the Philippines.

the funniest thing about this one was that I actually got on the wrong plane. Like most people, I've got on the wrong bus and/or train before, but never got on the wrong plane. I never expected that to happen.

I got into the departure area quite a bit early and saw that this Air Asia flight to Cebu was boarding so i assumed it was the same one that I had booked. I showed them my boarding pass at the desk, and they let me through and I walked over to where the aircraft was and upped the steps, showed them the boarding pass again only this time they said sorry sir, this is the wrong plane. Your one is over there. And they pointed to this other Air Asia plane across the airport tarmac. Apparently I had to get off the plane I was on, and get on that different one in about an hour. Hilarious. So I had to make my way down the steps again while all these other people were going up them.

when I eventually did get on the right plane an hour later there was hardly anybody else on it. One of the emptiest planes I'd ever seen, except for one in the US between LA and San Francisco a few weeks after 911 which only had about 9 people, or less than a jeepney load, on it.

towards the back whole rows of seats were empty, so I took my sandals off and lay down for a nap. I did actually manage to get off to sleep for about 10 minutes. When I woke up, it was all smiles from cabin crew and passengers alike. Oh look. The foreigner is just like us. He can sleep anywhere. Except for one snotty sour-faced Filipina who looked up from her laptop just long enough to signal that she disapproved of the whole business.

at the beginning and the end of the flight, the cabin crew all Wai'd. I thought WTF is this. THe crew aren't Thai. They're Filipino. And Air Asia aren't even a Thai airline. They're Malaysian. Why are they Wai'ing.

the plane was usual Air Asia. Pretty plush foir a budget airline. Those comfy black seats and what seemed like decent legroom compared to Cebu Pacific, lthough I don't know if that is actually true.

Terminal 4 : first time I'd been here since 2006, when it was the old as opposed to the new Domestic Terminal. It brought back memories. 3 sisters from Marikina city who I had met a few weeks before in Boracay turned up in a car to meet me. They parked it right outside and when I walked through the door they waved, I just got in, and we drove off.

taxi from airport to Compostela : I said to the driver take it to the Mcdonald's in Consolacion, where I had arranged for a friend to meet me and pick her up. When we got there, the girl got in the car and I paid the driver the meter fare. Then I said to him, hey buddy I know you can't use the meter out there, but take us the 12km to Compostela for 200. He said no and asked for 300. I said no to that and said ok 250, it is Saturday night there is no traffic there is no hardship for you. He said give me 300 it's Christmas. I said no, it isn't Christmas, it has to be 250. And so it was 250. I gave him a little Cadbury chocolate fudge bar as a tip. The girl got a whole big box about 3 hours later when she had to go back to Lacion to prepare for some church event the next day.

Enuff
Edited by bigmook
  • Like 3

Highlighter

He said give me 300 it's Christmas. I said no, it isn't Christmas, it has to be 250. And so it was 250. I gave him a little Cadbury chocolate fudge bar as a tip​

So you saved a little over $1 and the taxi driver got a fudge bar, a win win situation I would say.

• Like 1

Enuff

He said give me 300 it's Christmas. I said no, it isn't Christmas, it has to be 250. And so it was 250. I gave him a little Cadbury chocolate fudge bar as a tip​

So you saved a little over $1 and the taxi driver got a fudge bar, a win win situation I would say.

Hetty Green would be envious

cebulover2000

What's going on in Compostela we don't know off? Green Lagoon, Mood Night or you staying at the new place AMA? There are also some cheaper resorts.

• Like 2

montserrat

new place AMA I looked over today I think. It's a total rip off, if it's the one I'm thinking of, just past the Green Lagoon and that old Car Wash place that is now basically a pizza place. It's a left turn-off from the highway, no sea view or anything. They want 1,200 for really rather nondescript rooms with no light, it is miles away from the highway and any amenities. What is the matter with some Filipino vendors. Do they not realise the rooms are only worth 2/3rds of that in Compostela?

The Compostela Pension has now built a swimming pool and raised their prices from 600 to 800. So it joins the select band of places in Cebu with a pool for under 1000.

Compostela has changed a great deal since I first turned up there 12 years ago when there was almost no visible foreigners. Now there is a visible community often to be seen at the new places on the newly developed seafront behind and around the market.

montserrat

I didn't save anything. The guy asked for a high price. Drivers used to take you from Lacion to 'Steps for 200 with no hesitation. They would in fact take you for less than 200. It's only 12km. These days I suppose 250 is a fair price on the '20 peso per km' principle, but 300 isn't. 300 is too high.

goggleye

Air Asia has been a lot better than Zest since they aquired it   -  I think every time i ever flew with Zest they were delayed  - Air Asia seemed to have turned to it into an much improved airline.

Salty Dog

Air Asia has been a lot better than Zest since they aquired it - I think every time i ever flew with Zest they were delayed - Air Asia seemed to have turned to it into an much improved airline.

How many times have you flown with Zest?

goggleye

5 or 6 i think   maybe 3 times since they were aquired

Salty Dog

Was curious because I flew around the Philippines and SE Asia dozens of times and never once flew them. Never found them to be any cheaper and schedules were few and far between..

goggleye

i usually got Zest cheaper on promo between manila and cebu but after awhile just expected they will delay - i think it was their business model  - they offered lots of flights then during the day they started consolidating all those flights into one to increase the number of passengers on just one flight - just came to expect i wont get to fly at 5 pm it would probably be 7 or 8 pm  I tried air asia and they seemed to operate the Zest flights lot better, I would fly Air asia again, but i dont fly to cebu anymore

Edited by goggleye

Salty Dog

i usually got Zest cheaper on promo between manila and cebu but after awhile just expected they will delay - i think it was their business model - they offered lots of flights then during the day they started consolidating all those flights into one to increase the number of passengers on just one flight - just came to expect i wont get to fly at 5 pm it would probably be 7 or 8 pm I tried air asia and they seemed to operate the Zest flights lot better, I would fly Air asia again, but i dont fly to cebu anymore

Were you booking these flights with a short notice time?

I usually booked my flights weeks or even months in advance so I got best deals usually with Cebu Pacific or PAL.

goggleye

yes usually i booked my flights in the phils on shorter notice flights to the phils from the USA way ahead of time     btw  on this veterans day   thank you for your years of service in the Coast Guard

• Like 2

montserrat

Air Asia are the best of the budget airlines without a doubt. Much better than Cebu Pacific, although Cebu Pacific are not bad.

I never flew with Zest but looking at their counters at the airport they looked terrible