Sign in to follow this  
goggleye

computer problem on a hp laptop

goggleye

i was on the hp laptop windows 10, cooking last night talking to Neng  well not so much she has the flu.    All of a sudden kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk started on my skype  - where ever i went I got kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk's  i managed to run malwarebytes and windows defender they didnt turn up any issues    i noticed later too the shift keys and lots of the other keys arent working too    No idea if its a hardware or software problem - any ideas?  thanks in advance 

cebulover2000

sounds like HD failure

goggleye

any ideas for my next step ? or just head to the office depot for a new laptop ?   

Woolf

If that is a HD  faiIure, think I will eat my old hat

i managed to run malwarebytes and windows defender they didnt turn up any issues

the above tells me it is accessing the HD ok

take it to some repair shop  sound to me as bad keyboard,

could even just be a loose connection to the keyboard

• Like 2

CardiacKid

I've had the same problem on an HP laptop. The keyboard was bad. 

• Like 1

goggleye

If i cant get it sorted on my own ill probably buy a new one and bring this one  to the Phils with me in December - she can take it to a tech and have a back up computer   Here I would have a pile of money in a repair right away for a 325 dollar laptop.  

TorJay

Often, a simple re-start will make weird problems such as this go away.

Lee

Try an external keyboard, that should tell you if it is the keyboard.

I use an external keyboard most of the time and especially when we are in the Philippines.

goggleye

tried to restart several times    - really thinking its a keyboard problem 

Try an external keyboard, that should tell you if it is the keyboard.

I use an external keyboard most of the time and especially when we are in the Philippines.

thanks Lee   ill pick up a cheap one when i go to the chinese buffet for lunch    :-)    Caught a bunch of fish yesterday   i think your pinay wife would be excited to see those fish coming out of the water   - come on down 

philuk

depending what model hp laptop, it is a simple 5 minutre job to replace the keyboard,

get one from ebay,   if you turn the laptop upside down and look around the centre of it you may see a screw hole with a symbol that looks like a keyboard next to it,

if the symbol is not there then there will be a strip above the keyboard to remove ( just unclip it ) and find the two screws under there,

• Like 2

Lee

thanks Lee   ill pick up a cheap one when i go to the chinese buffet for lunch    :-)    Caught a bunch of fish yesterday   i think your pinay wife would be excited to see those fish coming out of the water   - come on down 

Staples has some for $13.99 and I even bought one from them for $10.

Thank you, I will give you a call soon and drive on down, right now we have company from Cebu so we are hanging out with them when we are not out with our regular weekly get together friends.

Hope the keyboard solves your problem, if not you can bring it back and buy a laptop, they will be having some great sales online or in store on Black Friday, a 14inch i3 for $299 

goggleye

its a model 15 with a touch screen   ill check on youtube too for a tutorial   thanks

Lee

Since you have a touch screen, try typing in on screen keyboard into your start and try using that and see if it works.

Cipro

It's probably a HW issue with the keyboard, but it might be firmware, USB devices including keyboards actually have their own little embedded processors and run firmware, which can be updated. I recently had to update the firmware on my KB due to an incompatibility with a new PC and its fantastic USB3++ ports. 

Mine was spamming CTRL ....

So yeah, to a shop

goggleye

yup that works  must be the keyboard   illl have to look at those black friday sales    thanks !

ill probably get on ebay and order a new keyboard and take the whole deal to the phils in December  - a pinoy tech will fix it cheap   - she will have a nice back up machine     thanks for all the input guys        

• Like 2