‘Clean up Cebu’ to attract more tourists, DOT exec tells Cebuanos

WITH the decline of Korean tourists in the country, the Department of Tourism (DOT) is urging the public to maintain Cebu’s image as an attractive leisure destination and to strengthen its assets.

D'oh! The question was asked in the subject, and then answered in the first line of the article.

So the DOT is asking the public to do this cleanup!! Well there could be allot more jobs created if the government would spend some of the VAT to bolster sanitation and improve infrastructre to facilitate better cleanliness. They could sponsor contests to reward Barangays for improved and sustained cleanliness.

While the public is partly responsible, they are just following the government's lead!

My experience is that almost every larger urban area in the Philippines is pretty much a dump by western standards. They may have a nice park here and there, but a drive along the streets will show trash dropped everywhere, very little concern for the appearance of a building or its lands once the place is completed. Even in Baguio City, which was once supposedly celebrated for its cleanliness, is generally a dingy town with litter around every corner. There are some nice areas where a large corporations run golf courses and resorts. But those are the exception. Once you get away from the very rich areas, it goes downhill (to make a pun) very quickly.

The idea they will clean up Cebu metro area or any other area flies in the face of my experience. They may pick stuff up for awhile. In fact, I often see cleaners out sweeping the road. But there is no habit or culture of keeping the place nice. Roads are often torn up and left in need of repair for years. The idea that they would clean up a city and keep it that way is about as likely as corruption disappearing for a few years. Nice to think of but so very unlikely.

My experience is that almost every larger urban area in the Philippines is pretty much a dump by western standards. They may have a nice park here and there, but a drive along the streets will show trash dropped everywhere, very little concern for the appearance of a building or its lands once the place is completed. Even in Baguio City, which was once supposedly celebrated for its cleanliness, is generally a dingy town with litter around every corner. There are some nice areas where a large corporations run golf courses and resorts. But those are the exception. Once you get away from the very rich areas, it goes downhill (to make a pun) very quickly.

The idea they will clean up Cebu metro area or any other area flies in the face of my experience. They may pick stuff up for awhile. In fact, I often see cleaners out sweeping the road. But there is no habit or culture of keeping the place nice. Roads are often torn up and left in need of repair for years. The idea that they would clean up a city and keep it that way is about as likely as corruption disappearing for a few years. Nice to think of but so very unlikely.

I must say that even Canada is a dump if you compare it to Central Europe.

People through stuff in the garbage bins, no matter what it is, SAD.

mattwilkie

The truth is the governement really couldnt care less. If you can pocket most of the taxes and hide out in a sub division or private estate that you never have to look at the real world why would you?

Services are pretty much useless unless there is a presidential visit. Its all show and no action. If they want people to do it maybe forming groups of people that want to do it on reward schemes. Personally i think you need to get people to love the area they live in as it encourages action to constantly take place. Community gardens or things like tyre gardens could tidy up an area more than people realise until its done. But also we cant get away from the fact the refuse isnt collected and lack of sanitation leads to people having a direct use of the rivers and waterways.

BUT i cant blame it all on government its a lot about education. Good sanitation drops mortality rates and people need to understand that the less homes for mosquitos and rats the less disease there is to go around.

The Mason
The truth is the governement really couldnt care less. If you can pocket most of the taxes and hide out in a sub division or private estate that you never have to look at the real world why would you?

Services are pretty much useless unless there is a presidential visit. Its all show and no action. If they want people to do it maybe forming groups of people that want to do it on reward schemes. Personally i think you need to get people to love the area they live in as it encourages action to constantly take place. Community gardens or things like tyre gardens could tidy up an area more than people realise until its done. But also we cant get away from the fact the refuse isnt collected and lack of sanitation leads to people having a direct use of the rivers and waterways.

BUT i cant blame it all on government its a lot about education. Good sanitation drops mortality rates and people need to understand that the less homes for mosquitos and rats the less disease there is to go around.

I think the last thing the government wants is true civic pride and people caring about how things are here. If that happened, people might actually have expectations of the government and insist on improvements.

smokey

i would say if your poor and struggle every day to find money to feed your family you really have no time or feel its in your best interest to hug any trees.. plus i will add the reason life is so easy to take here is when your hungry your not feeling very friendly... a guy told me... if i go to jail then i get to eat 3 times a day every day ... that is not so bad..

Edited by robert51
smokey

That

twostrokes
i would say if your poor and struggle every day to find money to feed your family you really have no time or feel its in your best interest to hug any trees.. plus i will add the reason life is so easy to take here is when your hungry your not feeling very friendly... a guy told me... if i go to jail then i get to eat 3 times a day every day ... that is not so bad..

That similar attitude is everywhere in the States now too, not just in the PI.... According to some news reports, it is estimated that at least 50% of the people on our County Jail go there intentionally..same with our mental hospital unit....It's called 3 hots and a cot...

And the above post about getting people to have civil pride..being a bad thing for the gov't, I agree. If the people had expectations, the gov't would not be able to ciphen off all the money they could as people would expect some services to be done on a regular basis..

The biggest problem too is that you could never elect anyone to any office that would make any changes. If they are not corrupt when elected, once they find out how easy it is and how expected it is by all the others in office, they will do the same and very quickly be just as bad or worse as whoever they replaced.

It seems to me that the only time anything is said or done or at least attempted is when one corrupt person wants what another corrupt person is able to steal. Then the one with the most clout gets charges against the other, so they can take thir booty..

Jim

One reason the rich people should worry about sanitation is a lot of people are living next to open sewers. They catch contagious diseases. Sooner or later that person is going to be serving the rich person in a restaurant or a store....

In Banilad the river smells like feces and it runs right next to mansions. According to studies, open sewers can cause health problems within a quarter mile I think.

One reason the rich people should worry about sanitation is a lot of people are living next to open sewers. They catch contagious diseases. Sooner or later that person is going to be serving the rich person in a restaurant or a store....

In Banilad the river smells like feces and it runs right next to mansions. According to studies, open sewers can cause health problems within a quarter mile I think.

Found this:

Open air sewers can cause: hepatitis, gastroenteritis, cholera, meningitis, typhoid and polio.

MattFromGA

The corruption being mentioned here is also ignorant corruption. Dont they realize they could steal more money over the long run if they bolstered the economy? Whats more, 70% of the poor peoples money and thats it or 20% of 10 times more wealth here because of good infrastructure and so forth bringing in the investments and wealthier people?

Kuya_Bill_Romjue

If they would clean things up, improve the image. The Philippines would be a goldmine for investing and tourism. They wouldn't have to steal, money would start coming in. The Philippines was paradise to me when I was there. The potential is there to make the islands the envy. At the same time, maybe we don't want that as it will become another overpriced Hawaii.

Never the less, some clean up and improvement is needed. My asawa was telling me one of the reasons things don't change. Is because the corrupt Politicans that are in office canvas the barangays. They pay bribes, food and even beer to keep votes. Makes sense. That is one of the reasons why they can't change things, the same ole same ole keeps occurring.

i plan on living there for a long time, please dont change, keep the trash and corruption, if they clean it up, it will be unaffordable, like in hawaii you need $2K just to survive, forget the better, lets stick with the garbage and squatters, i plan to grow old and switch up the young filipinas, "NO NEW CHANGES"