‘Tanim-Bala’ Bullet Scam at NAIA

I agree with you except for maybe I would say they lack any sense... :P

Who are you agreeing with the journalist  the newspaper ?

It cant be with I, as I have not indicated my opinion about prosecutors

Edited by Woolf
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• contraman

• Salty Dog

• oztony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't be a better example of  stupidity. Where do they find these folks? With international news organizations picking up the story, tourists will stay away in droves. Couldn't be a better reason t

My wife wonders why I dislike the Philippines,    I showed her these articles and her response was along these lines,   I was talking to my family last night and they know nothing about it so it

I like the chairmans attitude 

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Hawaii news

HONOLULU, Hawaii (The Adobo Chronicles) –  In what is being described as unprecedented in the history of commercial aviation, a scheduled Philippine Air Lines (PAL) flight bound from Honolulu to Manila left with a full crew but  not a single passenger.

PR 101 was scheduled to take off at 11:10 a.m. on Monday from Honolulu International Airport. The Airbus A330 left after a 30-minute delay without a single paying passenger.

What puzzled airline officials and crew was that the original manifest showed a fully-booked flight.

When it was time for boarding, ground crew started noticing that no one was checking in at the gate.  Despite repeated announcements over the public address system that passengers needed to board the flight, not a single one did. The plane finally departed at 11:40 a.m. with only the crew on board.

The Adobo Chronicles caught up with many of the passengers who were holding boarding tickets to PR 101, many of them with their bags and balikbayan boxes in tow.

They said they decided not to board their flight for fear that they might be victimized by the reported laglag bala scheme at Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).  The scheme involves bullets being ‘planted’ into the bags of unsuspecting passengers for the purpose of extortion by the perpetrators.

The passengers said they will re-schedule their trip only after they have been assured by Philippine government officials that the laglag bala scheme has been fully nipped in the bud.

“It is absolutely ridiculous that airline passengers going through NAIA have to wrap their bags and luggage in plastic just so they do not to fall prey to these unscrupulous schemers,” one Filipino long-time Hawaii resident said.

Stupid filipinos keep doing what your doing soon

Nobody will ever come

I find it hard to believe that an entire flight full of Filipino decided to do the same thing.

Why would they have even been at the airport with their baggage if they never intended to board the flight?

What about those paxs who weren't Filipino?

Sorry hilyfe, but I've gotta call BS on this story.

• Like 2

Hawaii news

HONOLULU, Hawaii (The Adobo Chronicles) –  In what is being described as unprecedented in the history of commercial aviation, a scheduled Philippine Air Lines (PAL) flight bound from Honolulu to Manila left with a full crew but  not a single passenger.

Fabricated "news"  has already been reported here and also been shown  to be a hoax

http://adobochronicles.com/about/

THE ADOBO CHRONICLES  is your source of up-to-date, unbelievable news. Everything you read on this site is based on fact, except for the lies.

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Most prosecutors lack common sense

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/739500/most-prosecutors-lack-common-sense

12:40 AM November 14th, 2015

Who are you agreeing with the journalist  the newspaper ?

I cant be with I, as I have not indicated my opinion about prosecutors

Where is Contraman when I need him...  :spiteful:

Well it was you who I quoted from your 1st post above post. :fool:

You should have said it was the title of a news story or placed it in quotes so people would realize it.

You can't expect me to click on every external link people post...  :frantic:

Sorry guys

I think youre right cant find any other news about it

Sorry

You can't expect me to click on every external link people post... 

post-6705-0-25734600-1447444181_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You just had to know this was coming...

Philippine Star-Amid accusations that airport personnel are demanding up to P80,000 and even sex in an extortion racket using the planting of bullets in passenger bags, the government is pursuing suspicions that politics may be playing a role in the “tanim-bala” racket.

A special team of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is looking into this possibility after receiving information that the incidents may be part of a plot to sabotage or destabilize the administration supposedly in relation to next year’s general elections.

Department of Justice (DOJ) spokesman Emmanuel Caparas said the NBI probe is not confined to the alleged operations of a tanim-bala syndicate, but also covers the sabotage or destabilization angle.

“Yes, that is one of the angles being pursued by the NBI,” Caparas confirmed to The STAR yesterday.

He did not give further details so as not to jeopardize the ongoing probe. He also did not confirm if there is proof gathered by investigators to bolster this angle.

An American missionary and an overseas Filipino worker testified at the Senate the other day that they were victims of tanim-bala.

But the NBI is pursuing suspicions that political rivals of the Aquino administration could be behind the incidents supposedly to discredit and elicit public distrust against the administration and its presidential bet, former interior and local governments secretary Manuel Roxas II.

Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya, whose resignation is being demanded by various sectors over problems besetting the airport and other aspects of transportation, has said he does not believe there is a tanim-bala syndicate at the airport.

Abaya, president of the administration Liberal Party, and airport general manager Jose Angel Honrado have refused to resign over the scandal. Malacañang has also rejected calls for their replacement.

Caparas said the DOJ has tapped prosecutors at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA)  to attend to bullet possession incidents.

Caparas told a press conference a prosecutor has been assigned at the airport since last week to conduct “instant inquest” assessment that would allow passengers caught with bullets in their baggage to catch their flights.

He said more prosecutors would be deployed at the airport next week upon request of the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA).

“The stationing of the fiscal there is one way for now to be able to shorten the time of going to the fiscal, filing a complaint and determining whether or not a case should be filed at the moment (because) the passenger is not able to leave,” Caparas said.

“We are trying to avoid incidents where passengers are not allowed to take their flights just because of these incidents… It affects the lives of people unnecessarily and unfairly,” he said.

Justice Secretary Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa and Prosecutor General Claro Arellano instructed prosecutors to expedite the conduct of inquest proceedings, weigh the evidence and consider the profile of the respondent, Caparas said.

“The prosecutor can make a call, all points available to him, talk to the passenger, after all that, if the passenger is harmless, (the prosecutor) can make the call using better judgment,” Caparas said.

He explained that if the bullet were found in the luggage or bag of an elderly person who has been traveling to and from the country for 30 years, it would be initially improbable to consider criminal liability.

But if the bullet or implement were found taped or stitched in some secret pockets of a bag or luggage, then it would be another case, Caparas said.

“There are procedures in law, there are legal provisions that allow us to take certain measure to protect the rights of the general public, whether you are a passenger or not, and it also protects the rights of those who are looking after security of our airports,” he added.  

Malacañang said the MIAA is implementing the hands off policy in handling baggage and personal belongings of passengers.

“On another matter, the MIAA is now going to implement a ‘last look’ bin that will enable passengers to take a last look, essentially, at their luggage and to dispose off any—should there be any inadvertent insertions, if you may call it that, before they undergo screening,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said.

Miriam seeks heavier penalties

Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago, for her part, proposed an increase in the penalty against persons found guilty of planting bullets as evidence.

Santiago is seeking to amend Republic Act 10591 or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act to increase the prison term for persons planting bullets as evidence from the current six to 12 years to a range of 12 to 20 years.

The penalty would be imposed on persons found guilty of inserting, placing or attaching a bullet, a firearm or parts of either, with the intent of incriminating another.

“The government must send a clear message to these airport syndicates that it will not tolerate these criminal activities and will prosecute those who plant evidence with as much zeal as it pursues those who smuggle firearms and ammunition,” Santiago said.

She said that increasing the prison term for the crime would be more effective than the proposals to decriminalize possession of not more than three bullets.

Under the decriminalization proposal, Santiago argued the scam would persist simply by increasing the number of ammunition planted on the victims.

Charged and dismissed

This developed as two Taiwan-bound OFWs were detained by security personnel at the NAIA Terminal 1 for alleged possession of bullets.

One of them, Biiden Ballalo, was able to depart for Taiwan yesterday after the Pasay City prosecutor dismissed the case with the help of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) and Volunteer Against Crime and Corruption (VACC).

The PAO has so far helped 20 alleged bullet-planting victims. Complaints against five of the agency’s clients have been dismissed for lack of intent to possess the bullet and use it for malevolent purposes.

Pasay City prosecutors also dismissed the charges against Gerardo Navarra for illegal possession of ammunition for lack of probable cause.

Navarra, who was supposed to fetch a relative from the airport and insisted that the bullet was not his, was arrested Thursday night at the NAIA after a bullet was found inside his bag.   

Pasay City Prosecutor Nolasco Fernandez Jr. said authorities failed to establish the malevolent intent to possess and use the bullet for a criminal purpose.

Two more passengers with separate flights were apprehended for bullets found in their luggage.

The two passengers whose names were not immediately available were brought to the Philippine National Police – Aviation Security Group for questioning.

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), on the other hand, has embarked on a massive information campaign to prevent migrant Filipino workers from falling prey to the supposed bullet-planting scheme.

OWWA chief Rebecca Calzado directed accredited employment agencies to provide pre-departure orientation seminar (PDOS) to advise OFWs against carrying prohibited items at the airport including bullets.

And who was the guy that was wondering why so many threads on same subject

and there is no link to the source

Edited by Woolf
Skywalker

#TanimBala Philippine bullet scam sparks anger and social media activism

By Heather ChenBBC News
  • 13 November 2015
  •  
  • From the sectionAsia
_86602836_hi029957577.jpgImage copyrightReutersImage captionMany travellers have been taking drastic measures against alleged bullet planters in Manila's international airport

A scam in the Philippines, which allegedly sees bullets dropped into the luggage of passengers as they go through airport security, has sparked anger, fear and social media activism.

Called '"tanim bala" (which means planting bullets) it has meant passengers have been faced with fines or even the possibility of being charged with the illegal possession of ammunition.

_86602773_gettyimages-158403245.jpgImage copyrightGetty Images

After several passengers were detained, others taken to court for refusing to pay fines and an outcry by legislators in the Philippines, it has spurred Filipinos to action.

They have been posting to social media defiant notices stuck to their luggage, wrapping suitcases in layers of plastic sheeting and speaking out about the dangers of this scam.

Officials at the Manila International Airport also set up a public help desk.

'This bag is bullet-proof'_86602840_hi029942529.jpgImage copyrightEPAImage captionA Filipino passenger puts a sticker on his luggage with the message: "This bag is bullet-proof"

On Facebook and Instagram users uploaded pictures of the signs stuck to their bags.

Cautious travellers, like Raymond Britanico, uploaded photos to warn off potential bullet planters. Other users like Filipino actor Ronnie Liang, showed off plastic cling-wrapped luggage bags using the hashtags, #TanimBala and #LagLagBala(which means "dropping off bullets").

_86602834_hi029959838.jpgImage copyrightAFPImage captionPassengers get their luggage wrapped in the Manila International Airport

It even spawned a highly-popular mobile app game, in which users play as a "victim" at the airport who has to navigate carefully to avoid bullets from being dropped onto his luggage.

_86602838_tanimbala_android.jpgImage copyrightGoogle StoreImage captionThere is now even a 'tanim bala' smartphone game

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34774899

contraman

I wonder if the price of having baggage cling wrapped has increased ?  :idontknow:

• Like 3
michael_retired

What I don't get with the sudden increase is it happening more or more people objecting to paying the scammer?

And I've seen the payoff is 500-1000P? Sorry but I'd pay that in an instant to get out of Dodge. Then report it later...but what if that'd get you blacklisted...so...

My life in the US needing to continue as it is wouldn't allow me to have principles.

From my understanding,  these bastards ask anywhere from p500 - p80000.   I can see why many victims  choose to pay the extortion if small. Maybe if they tried to extort p30000 + from me,  I'd scream and yell and refuse also. As a victim  you've got to try and record the interrogation to prove extortion - without that proof,  you've got very little chance sorry to say. 

Headshot

From my understanding,  these bastards ask anywhere from p500 - p80000.   I can see why many victims  choose to pay the extortion if small. Maybe if they tried to extort p30000 + from me,  I'd scream and yell and refuse also. As a victim  you've got to try and record the interrogation to prove extortion - without that proof,  you've got very little chance sorry to say. 

Well...since you can't have your cell phone on your person while you are going through security, how would you propose that you record any conversation in the security area? Do you think they haven't already realized how dangerous having a cell phone around would be? I suppose that if you are lucky enough to have already collected your personal belongings (including your cell phone) before they put you on the spot for their planted bullet in the pocket of your carry-on, you might be able to record something, but I think that having your cell phone on your person during the crucial time when they try to shake you down is unlikely.

Mandingo

I am not sure what I'd do if they tried the scam on me. First me missing a few days of work would cost me much more than 30,000 php, I would hate to get thrown a Filipino jail at my age, my family would start hiring attorneys to get me out costing them money, my wife would be going crazy and so on. On the other hand I am stubborn and tend to stick up for myself and don't like BS like this. I'd probably try to low-ball them on a counter offer and get the hell out and never come back. I guess I don't know what I'd do.............

• Like 1
colemanlee

I guess I don't know what I'd do..

I gotta few folks I could call...if I could get in touch with them...but would be a pain in the ass and I dont like calling in favors...reasonable money I would probably pay....get outta there, then attempt to prosecute....