• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• contraman

• Salty Dog

• oztony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't be a better example of  stupidity. Where do they find these folks? With international news organizations picking up the story, tourists will stay away in droves. Couldn't be a better reason t

My wife wonders why I dislike the Philippines,    I showed her these articles and her response was along these lines,   I was talking to my family last night and they know nothing about it so it

I like the chairmans attitude 

Posted Images

I found the full video from the hearing yesterday

It is 4 hours

Now if I only had two SIM cards to have enough load to watch that one video...

video in post 76

Video from 33 min to 50 min  interesting

Officials  in hot water

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

SunStar

Abaya to convene committee on civil aviation security

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/local-news/2015/11/12/abaya-convene-committee-civil-aviation-security-441120

Thursday, November 12, 2015

TRANSPORTATION Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya vowed Thursday to convene a committee that would decide whether a person who was found carrying a live bullet in his luggage will be detained or not.
At the Senate hearing into the alleged “tanim bala” extortion scheme, Senator Grace Poe cited Executive Order 311, which designates the Transportation Secretary to form the National Civil Aviation Security Committee that will serve as an advisory body and consultative forum in matters regarding civil aviation security.
Poe, however, said it has not yet been convened since 2012.
Abaya promised to review the Palace order within a week.
Before Senate blue ribbon committee chairman Teofisto Guingona III adjourned the hearing, he said he was expecting that Abaya would comply with the executive order.
He said the committee would be helpful to those who have been victimized by the "tanim bala" scam.
“If you take a look at all these victims, I’m sure you can tell that they have no intent, assuming that they really have bullets in their luggage. People are demanding fast solutions to these problems and you have agreed to study the matter,” Guingona said.
“People want quick solutions. People are afraid. People go to the airport in fear. We need a deadline as to your (Abaya) decision.” (Sunnex)
contraman

Post 76

Video from 33 min to 50 min  interesting

Officials  in hot water

I like the fact the the General Manager NAIA has 32 departments under him, Yet None Report to him.

Senior Heads should Roll :idontknow:

Over 60 are alleged to be stood down and are being investigated, But the investigations are being done internally WTF?

colemanlee

My impression going through yesterday (Terminal 3)

1. Baggage guys have almost zero business 

2. Screeners at the door were almost scared to touch anybody's stuff, especially if you made a point of watching them

3. The atmosphere in the whole place was one of trepidation  

4. The white shirt guards were going out of their way to be friendly

5. Going through any screening point was much more lax than in the past (just a couple of weeks ago)

6. Most of the airport cops were in little groups discussing stuff among themselves with very little interaction with the passengers

• Like 3

Just shows that no one takes responsibility, that is how cases can take decades to solve,

people are held in prison, and nobody cares

here a little off topic but anyway

SC court administrator looks into Pampanga inmates’ complaints 

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/544036/news/regions/sc-court-administrator-looks-into-pampanga-inmates-complaints

November 11, 2015 10:30pm

The Supreme Court is checking if there is truth to claims by a group of inmates in Pampanga Provincial Jail about the snail-paced resolution of their cases in the trial courts.
SC Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez, who supervises trial court judges nationwide, on Wednesday said he has received a hand-written letter signed by hundreds of detainees whose cases are pending with the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branches 41 to 48, and 54 and 55.
"I have already instructed our Legal Office to look into the veracity of the allegations," Marquez told reporters in a text message.
Marquez stressed the need to check the inmates' complaint "more so now that the Supreme Court has come out with the Guidelines on Continuous Trial, which is being pilot tested in some first- and second-level courts in the National Capital Judicial Region."
In their three-page letter to Marquez, the prisoners from 10 different detention cells lamented the "very slow setting of hearings in various courts and judges" handling their criminal cases.
"[The setting of hearings] takes a long time and most of us have almost only one hearing per year. There are those whose cases have run for 10 to 15 years and still have no resolution up to this day," read the letter.
In their letter, the detainees said they have already asked help from San Fernando, Pampanga RTC Executive Judge Divina Luz Simbulan "about our sorry condition here."
"But she had no action. We told her about our concerns but she just ignored us," read the letter.
The detainees told the SC that they are still hoping to be cleared from their cases. "Even if we are detainees, we still hope to start a brand new life with our families. But because of the slow justice system here, our hopes have been destroyed," they lamented.
"We are hoping for your attention and immediate action, for the sake of our families," they added.
Simbulan is already in hot water after property developer Delfin Lee, who is a detainee at the provincial jail, filed administrative and criminal charges against her also before the Office of the Court Administrator for alleged extortion and gross ignorance of the law.
In 2013, Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno described as "dysfunctional" the current jail system in the Philippines, a system that forces inmates to take turns in sleeping inside cramped detention cells.
Sereno had said that the SC was also thinking of assigning some judges to help areas where court dockets are heavily clogged. That same year, the SC conducted simultaneous hearings and decision-making in the five most populated jail facilities in the country. — BM, GMA News
Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
contraman

Just shows that no one takes responsibility, that is how cases can take decades to solve,

people are held in prison, and nobody cares

here a little off topic but anyway

SC court administrator looks into Pampanga inmates’ complaints 

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/544036/news/regions/sc-court-administrator-looks-into-pampanga-inmates-complaints

November 11, 2015 10:30pm

Where is "Amnesty International", I thought this is what they campaign for funds for ?

Naia cops asked US missionary to pay P30K

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/739234/naia-cops-asked-us-missionary-to-pay-p30k

12:20 AM November 13th, 2015

loisa Zoleta and her stepson, Lane Michael White, recounted to the Senate Thursday their experience at Naia in September after security officials allegedly found a bullet in his bag.

Police officers told them to pay P30,000 for dropping the case against White, even as they pressed them to admit to the owning the bullet.
But the pair refused to settle the matter and insisted on White’s innocence.
At the time, the family was on the way to Coron, Palawan province, to scout for land on which to build a church.
Zoleta said a bullet was found after White’s bag passed through the X-ray machine several times.
Nothing was detected when the bag was first checked, but after screening officer Maria Elma Cena allegedly put her hand inside the flap of White’s bag, the bullet was discovered in the next X-ray scan, she said.
After they were informed of the discovery, Zoleta asked the screening officers if she should have their flights to Coron moved. They told her it would be an easy matter, a remark that she found baffling if there really had been a violation of the law.
“The screening officers said, ‘That’s OK. It would be easy,’” she said, adding that Cena even told her that the flight wasn’t even until 12:45 p.m.
“I was thinking that if it was really the law and there was one ammo found in the luggage, shouldn’t their answer be that we wouldn’t be able to go to Coron because they would jail my son? Shouldn’t that be the answer if they were implementing it?” she said.
White was subsequently brought to the office of the Philippine National Police, while Zoleta tried to take care of their tickets.
Police officer Junio
She said a PNP officer she identified only as “PNP officer Junio” asked her about what had happened. After explaining, Junio told her about paying for the dropping of the case, she said.
“Usually we let the possession of such items pass. We just say it’s an amulet. If we negotiate that here, it (will cost you) P30,000. But if it’s passed on to headquarters, it’s P80,000,” Zoleta recalled the police officer as saying.
Preacher with no salary
He also asked about her husband’s job and she informed him he was a preacher who did not receive a salary. The officer also asked about White’s job and she told him he had resigned from his job.
Their conversation ended then because Zoleta’s brother called her up, and she never saw the police officer again.
White also said a police officer, Rolando Clarin, had told him he could pay P30,000 or face the prospect of jail. But he said the bullet was not his and he did not have the amount.
Zoleta said the officers had tried to convince them to own up to the bullet possession.
She said another officer had appealed to her to help White, as he was a foreigner and his life could be ruined.
Pregnant
And as they were about to head for White’s inquest, Zoleta said Cena came up to her and told her that she could have just admitted to carrying the bullet since she was pregnant, and there was a humanitarian law.
“I responded to her, ‘ma’am, why would I admit it?’ I know that’s the easier way out to say it’s ours and I’m pregnant, but I told her we’re Christians. We can’t lie about a small thing just to find an easy way out,” she said.
LAGLAG BALA INQUIRY: Lane Michael White (left), 20, tells senators how airport authorities asked him to pay P30,000 in exchange for his freedom for allegedly carrying a bullet inside his bag at theNinoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). Lane, together with his step-mother Eloisa Zoleta (center), and father Ryan White (right) attended a Senate inquiry into the “laglag bala” incidents at the NAIAThursday, November 12, 2015. (PRIB Photo by Alex Nueva España)
LAGLAG BALA INQUIRY: Lane Michael White (left), 20, tells senators how airport authorities asked him to pay P30,000 in exchange for his freedom for allegedly carrying a bullet inside his bag at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). Lane, together with his step-mother Eloisa Zoleta (center), and father Ryan White (right) attended a Senate inquiry into the “laglag bala” incidents at the NAIA Thursday, November 12, 2015. (PRIB Photo by Alex Nueva España)
Unprofessional
Zoleta also said the screening officers lacked professionalism and courtesy when dealing with them.
She also recounted that she started taking videos, upon her brother’s advice, after the bullet was found. Her camera was not hidden and was near her armpit, she said.
When the screening officers learned that she had taken videos, they seemed surprised she said. She also recalled that Clarin had warned her not to take videos, and that he would fine her if she did so.
Zoleta and White were among the air passengers invited to the Senate, which is looking into allegations that a syndicate planting bullets in passengers’ bags to extort money from them was operating at Naia.

OFW
Also present at the hearing was overseas Filipino worker (OFW) Gloria Ortinez, who is now unsure of whether she still had a job waiting for her in Hong Kong.
Ortinez had been detained and faced a complaint after a bullet was supposedly found in her bag. The case against her was dismissed, but there is no certainty yet if her employer would take her back.
Ortinez also recalled that after the bullet was found, the X-ray personnel brought her to a room that had men in white uniform.
Made to sign document
She said she was asked to sign a document and she initially refused, she was told she would be handcuffed if she would not follow the order. She was not made to read the document, but she eventually signed it, she said.
She also said the officers had tried to convince her to admit that she owned the bullet.
Finger-pointing
Senators took to task aviation officials for “finger-pointing” when asked to provide them the closed-circuit TV (CCTV) footage of the inspection of White’s bag.
The footage was necessary for White’s case. The National Bureau of Investigation requested copies, but it has yet to get these.
Rolando Recomono, chief of the Office for Transportation Security (OTS), said the CCTV footage was not under his office’s jurisdiction and was with the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA).
But MIAA general manager Jose Angel Honrado said it was with the OTS.
“Which jurisdiction does it fall under? Janitorial offices?” asked Sen. Teofisto Guingona III, chair of the blue ribbon committee.
“How will the victims get justice now?” Guingona asked.
Honrado eventually said MIAA had custody of CCTV footage taken at the airport as it was operating the cameras. He also said the OTS had a copy of the footage.
MIAA has not provided copies to the NBI as the bureau made the request to the OTS, he said.
“This is a clear case of finger-pointing,” Guingona said.
Passenger’s side
In another development, Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano castigated officials for not getting the side of the air passenger, who complained of being victimized by the supposed bullet-planting scheme.
Zoleta said nobody from the OTS or the aviation offices got in touch with her, and Cayetano pointed to the promise of transportation officials that they would investigate the allegations.
Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said he believed the complainants were not guilty and had no intent to violate the law.
But Abaya also said the investigations were ongoing. The probe has been turned over to the Aviation Security Group, which then coordinates with the prosecutor. This is the judicial process, he said.
Cayetano said the case should not enter the judicial process until the side of the passengers, who claim they fell prey to the bullet-planting scheme, was heard.
“If they weren’t even asked and they complained, so at that level, there was no due process,” he said.
If the passengers had not gone to the Senate, the officials would not have heard their side, he added.

SunStar

Airport officers forced me to admit I am carrying bullet'

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/local-news/2015/11/12/airport-officers-forced-me-admit-i-am-carrying-bullet-441113

Thursday, November 12, 2015

FILIPINO migrant worker Gloria Ortinez, one of the alleged victims of bullet-planting modus operandi at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), told senators on Thursday that airport security personnel had forced her to admit that the bullet found in her bag was hers.
At the Senate inquiry into the "tanim-bala" incidents, Ortinez recounted how the ammunition was found inside her bag when it was inspected at the NAIA Terminal 2.
"When my bag was screened at the X-ray, they asked me what's in the X-ray. They showed me what's in it and asked me, 'What’s that?' I replied, 'I don't know.' There’s a vertical line but I don't have any idea what it is," Ortinez said.
Ortinez said one of the inspectors had pointed where the "vertical line" was located and asked her to check what it was.
She said that when she checked her bag, she felt something and found out that there was a red pouch in it, which she did not own.
"When I saw the red pouch, I released it from my hand. I was shocked because I didn’t put anything beside my hand carry,” Ortinez said. “One personnel asked me to pick it up but I insisted not to. They forced me to pick that but I don’t want to because my fingerprint may be traced if I take it," Ortinez said.
Ortinez added that she was forced to sign a document, but she was not able to read its content because she was trembling with fear.
"They told me to sign that. I don't want to put my signature in it but they told me they would handcuff me if I do not follow them… They did not allow me to read what's in the paper. I just signed it," she said.
At that time, Ortinez said she was placed under arrest.
Ortinez, who was detained for two nights, said she was not provided food on her first night in jail.
"There was no food. When I was detained on October 25, I did not eat. I was just able to eat when my child went there the next day," she said, when asked by Senator Grace Poe if there was food provided for her to eat.
Public Attorney's Office (PAO) chief Persida Rueda-Acosta said the airport security personnel should have communicated with them regarding the incident so they would have been able to offer help for Ortinez.
"If someone is apprehended, you can contact PAO since it is just five to ten minutes away. PAO can offer help to protect the human rights of OFWs (overseas Filipino workers), foreigners, and travellers. There are really lapses in what’s happening (at the airport)," Acosta said. (Sunnex)

Amid ‘tanim-bala scam,’ DOJ assigns prosecutor at Naia

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/739416/amid-tanim-bala-scam-doj-assigns-prosecutor-at-naia

02:27 PM November 13th, 2015

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has already assigned a prosecutor at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) to attend to cases of the so-called “tanim-bala (bullet-planting) scheme” and avoid inconvenience to travelers.
DOJ Spokesman Emmanuel Caparas said the DOJ has started designating a prosecutor at the airport since last week to protect travelers.
“The stationing of the fiscal there [at the airport] is one way for now to be able to shorten the time of going to the fiscal, filing a complaint and determining whether or not a case should be filed at the moment [because] ang pasahero hindi na nakakaalis (the passengers are not allowed to take their flights),” Caparas said.
Advertisement
“We are trying to avoid incidents where passengers are not allowed to take their flights just because may bala na nakuha sa kanila (there was a bullet found in their possession)…It affects the lives of people unnecessarily and unfairly,” Caparas added.
He said the public prosecutors have been instructed by Justice Secretary Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa and Prosecutor General Claro Arellano to expedite the conduct of inquest proceedings, weigh the evidence including the profile of the respondent.
“The prosecutor can make a call, all points available to him, talk to the passenger, after all that, if the passenger is harmless, [the prosecutor] can make the call using better judgment,” Caparas said.
For instance, Caparas said that if the bullet was found in the luggage or bag of an elderly who [has] been traveling to and from the country for 30 years, tingin mo dapat kasuhan yan (do you think a case should be filed)? At this point, yan ba may pakay na masama (does the elderly have bad intentions)?”
However, if the bullet was found taped or stitched in some secret pockets of a bag or luggage, then, Caparas said that is another thing.
“There are procedures in law, there are legal provisions that allow us to take certain measure to protect the rights of the general public whether you are a passenger or not and it also protects the rights of those who are looking after [the] security of our airports,” he added.
More than 15 “tanim-bala” victims have been ordered to be released by the prosecutors after dismissing the criminal case against them for further investigation.
Meanwhile, the Pasay City Prosecutors Office dismissed the case against 56-year-old overseas Filipino worker (OFW) Gloria Ortinez after the prosecutor said authorities failed to prove that she has the intention to possess the ammunition.
“There can be no conviction unless the prosecution shows that the accused knowingly possessed the prohibited articles in his person or that the animus possidendi (intent to possess or malevolent intent to use) is shown to be present together with his possession of such article,” the prosecutor said adding that a “bullet is a harmless article without the corresponding gun or firearm to fire it.”
The prosecutor added that there is no logical reason why a 56-year-old OFW working abroad for greener pasture would see the need to carry an ammunition. RAM

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
delancey

(Post 84)

Rolando Recomono, chief of the Office for Transportation Security (OTS), said the CCTV footage was not under his office’s jurisdiction and was with the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA).

But MIAA general manager Jose Angel Honrado said it was with the OTS.

“Which jurisdiction does it fall under? Janitorial offices?” asked Sen. Teofisto Guingona III, chair of the blue ribbon committee.

A janitor is going to take the rap. Case closed.

Most prosecutors lack common sense

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/739500/most-prosecutors-lack-common-sense

12:40 AM November 14th, 2015

HOW IRONIC that people get arrested and detained for possession of a single bullet in their purse or suitcase at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia), but inmates at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) are able to get away for possession of ammunition arsenals and guns inside their cells.
Not a single inmate has been charged with possession of guns and ammunition.
It’s a glaring example of the government catching the small fry and letting go of the big fish.

The big fish at the NBP—convicted drug lords—are not touched because they have money to grease the palms of corrupt officials.
Most of those caught with one or two bullets at Naia were overseas contract workers or ordinary citizens who didn’t have the money to bribe their captors.
Inquirer columnist Ramon Farolan has called on his fellow retired Air Force general, Angel Jose Honrado, to resign as Naia general manager in the face of the “bullet planting” scandal at the airport.
“There is life after government service,” Farolan advised Honrado in his latest column.
But Honrado will never budge, even if the call comes from a fellow Cavalier. He has so much to lose: a P1-million intelligence fund every month at his disposal.
Honrado has probably forgotten that he was an officer and a gentleman when he was in the military service. The word gentleman refers to a dignified man.
Money makes some people lose their sense of dignity.
Laguna provincial prosecutor George Dee wrote in the Letters to the Editors section that “ a bullet is ammunition of which the mere possession without proper authority is a violation of the law.”
I agree with Dee, formerly a reporter at the Philippines News Agency where I was a deskman in the 1970s.
Dura lex, sed lex. The law may be harsh but it’s the law.
But a government prosecutor has the power to dismiss a case against a person carrying a single bullet if he finds that the respondent had no intent to harm others.
For example, an old woman carrying a bullet for protection against “kulam” or a hex should be released immediately.
A person who misplaced a bullet in his suitcase should also be released, and the bullet confiscated.
The government prosecutors in Pasay City who handled the inquest or preliminary investigation of the “bullet” cases should have dismissed the cases because there was no intent to harm on the part of the respondents.
Plain common sense, amigo. But then, not everybody has that.
Many in the present crop of prosecutors are too lazy or too dumb to decide cases on their own. They want to play safe and pass on the case to the judge.
They’re not making use of the prosecutor’s quasi-judicial power to dismiss cases filed in their offices.
If you don’t use your brains, someday it will atrophy.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Most prosecutors lack common sense

I agree with you except for maybe I would say they lack any sense... :P

Hawaii news

HONOLULU, Hawaii (The Adobo Chronicles) –  In what is being described as unprecedented in the history of commercial aviation, a scheduled Philippine Air Lines (PAL) flight bound from Honolulu to Manila left with a full crew but  not a single passenger.

PR 101 was scheduled to take off at 11:10 a.m. on Monday from Honolulu International Airport. The Airbus A330 left after a 30-minute delay without a single paying passenger.

What puzzled airline officials and crew was that the original manifest showed a fully-booked flight.

When it was time for boarding, ground crew started noticing that no one was checking in at the gate.  Despite repeated announcements over the public address system that passengers needed to board the flight, not a single one did. The plane finally departed at 11:40 a.m. with only the crew on board.

The Adobo Chronicles caught up with many of the passengers who were holding boarding tickets to PR 101, many of them with their bags and balikbayan boxes in tow.

They said they decided not to board their flight for fear that they might be victimized by the reported laglag bala scheme at Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).  The scheme involves bullets being ‘planted’ into the bags of unsuspecting passengers for the purpose of extortion by the perpetrators.

The passengers said they will re-schedule their trip only after they have been assured by Philippine government officials that the laglag bala scheme has been fully nipped in the bud.

“It is absolutely ridiculous that airline passengers going through NAIA have to wrap their bags and luggage in plastic just so they do not to fall prey to these unscrupulous schemers,” one Filipino long-time Hawaii resident said.

Stupid filipinos keep doing what your doing soon

Nobody will ever come

• Like 1