‘Tanim-Bala’ Bullet Scam at NAIA

colemanlee

Went through, terminal three today, no problems...wifey and I decided, I would go first, watch the bags, she would load the bags and I was there to watch, zero problems...nobody attempted to touch our bags....Pinays...different story...pushing their stuff through like a cluster feck...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• contraman

• Salty Dog

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't be a better example of  stupidity. Where do they find these folks? With international news organizations picking up the story, tourists will stay away in droves. Couldn't be a better reason t

My wife wonders why I dislike the Philippines,    I showed her these articles and her response was along these lines,   I was talking to my family last night and they know nothing about it so it

I like the chairmans attitude 

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Pinays...different story...pushing their stuff through like a cluster feck...

So normal ops…

The video I posted in post #62

you should check it

unfortunately it ends at an interesting  point

• Like 3
contraman

The video I posted in post #62

you should check it

unfortunately it ends at an interesting  point

• Like 4

regarding the scam, are the bullets planted after luggage is checked in at the ticket counter OR when luggage is being carried on? I have read most seem to occur for carry-on. Is this a problem at the Cebu or Davao airport? Just demand to see a picture of the bullet in the suitcase, demand to have a supervisor present when the suitcase is opened, get the police to examine it for fingerprints, yours will not be on it.

NAIA to open booths for disposal of banned items

07:32 PM November 12th, 2015

MANILA, Philippines — To give passengers a chance to empty their bags of items banned in the airport and on airplanes, booths with disposal bins will be set up starting next week at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

Two or three “last look” booths will be put up in each of the four NAIA terminals apart from the signage and TV monitors repeatedly playing English and Filipino reminders on prohibited items.

According to Vicente Guerzon Jr., senior assistant general manager of the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA),  the booths will be set up at the entrance queuing areas of the terminals. This would give passengers the opportunity to ditch items prohibited at the airport and on the aircraft before they pass through NAIA’s initial security screening checkpoints, Guerzon explained.

Guerzon said that boxes for SPI (security prohibited items) or simply disposal bins would be placed in each booth so passengers or even airport visitors could get rid of things, including bullets either used as talismans or souvenirs, that could cause their being detained or held for questioning by the police.

“The booths will afford passengers privacy so if they intend to dispose of something that might cause them embarrassment, they will be protected,” the MIAA official told the Philippine Daily Inquirer, adding that a passenger would not be questioned on the item he or she got rid of.

The setup of the booths, he said, would complement the MIAA’s enhanced awareness campaign on prohibited items.  The airport authority will place large tarpaulin signage in all terminal entrances and install TV monitors explaining in detail and showing items that must not be placed in both handcarry and checked-in luggage.

“So before they go through the x-ray scanners, they are already made aware of the prohibited items. Knowing this, they can already use the ‘last look’ booths to get rid of whatever banned thing they have with them,” Guerzon explained.

The TV monitors will repeatedly show prohibited items and will have a voice over or writing in both English and Filipino “so it is easily understood.” Tarpaulin signage will also have English and Filipino versions.

“Another innovation is the setup at the NAIA of interrogation rooms with full audio and video recording so everything that is happening inside is transparent,” Guerzon told the Inquirer.

The interrogation rooms will be placed past the initial x-ray scanners so when a bullet is still found on a passenger’s baggage, even after all the reminders and the last look booths, the security cameras can prevent any “shady transaction.”

“Everything will be recorded so we can really prevent any possible extortion activity from happening. It will also discourage a bullet-carrier from making false claims or trying to bribe law enforcement agents,” he pointed out.

All these, Guerzon said, might be in place by next week in time for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit.  SFM

So what will stop someone planting a bomb , since you are in "privacy" ?

contraman

NAIA to open booths for disposal of banned items

07:32 PM November 12th, 2015

So what will stop someone planting a bomb , since you are in "privacy" ?

Just more BS from the spin Doctors :idontknow:

• Like 2
mikewright

Ditto. Great that this is being televised and the players named in public. Mrs White's evidence came across as being very, very credible.

• Like 3

Ditto. Great that this is being televised and the players named in public. Mrs White's evidence came across as being very, very credible.

Unfortunately she switched too filipino, so I did not get it all

Very credible yes, and a strong woman it looks like

• Like 1

If video recording is not allowed at/in the airport

start your cell phone on audio record, no one will know that you are recording

another video from the hearing

contraman

another video from the hearing

Very typical, It is someone else's fault :idontknow:

Edited by contraman

Rappler  http://www.rappler.com/nation/112585-senate-probe-bullet-planting-scam-naia

Senators grill airport officials over bullet-planting scam

MANILA, Philippines – Airport officials got into hot water at the Senate, as lawmakers grilled them for failing to take responsibility to curb incidents of the alleged tanim-bala or bullet-planting scam at the Philippines' premier airport.

At the Senate hearing on Thursday, November 12, officials of the Office for Transportation Security (OTS) and the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) pointed fingers when asked by senators which agency had jurisdiction over closed circuit television (CCTV) footage in the airport.

The family of Lane Michael White, an American missionary apprehended at the NAIA two months ago, said they requested copies of the airport's CCTV footage from the OTS to prove that they were not carrying bullets when White was apprehended in September.

But the OTS has yet to provide the videos, delaying the charges that White's camp plans to file against the officials who apprehended them.

Senator Teofisto Guingona III then asked OTS administrator Rolando Recomono why his office had not yet provided the videos.

Recomono said CCTV videos are not under his office's jurisdiction, but with the MIAA.

But MIAA general manager Jose Angel Honrado disputed this, saying the videos are with the OTS.

Hearing this, Guingona commented: "Ito na sinasabi ko, nagtuturuan na." (This is what I'm talking about, we're pointing fingers now.)

Recomono added that he was not aware that there was a request lodged with his office.

This later prompted the Senate blue ribbon committee to subpoena the CCTV videos.

At Thursday's Senate hearing, alleged victims of the scam recounted how they were apprehended at the NAIA for allegedly carrying bullets in their luggage.

The victims claimed that airport officials planted the bullets in their bags in an attempt to extort money from them. (TIMELINE: Recent cases of alleged bullet scam at NAIA)

'Talk to the victims'

Meanwhile, Senator Alan Peter Cayetano turned his focus on the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC), the mother agency of the OTS.

Cayetano questioned the DOTC's earlier promise that it would investigate the incidents, which have already gotten international attention.

The senator criticized the DOTC for investigating only airport personnel, but not getting the side of the victims of the alleged scam.

He said this was not how a proper investigation should be conducted.

"You're waiting two months before you investigate them? While you file cases against them, you haven't even talked to them?" Cayetano said.

DOTC Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya later said the OTS will invite the alleged victims to a discussion as part of their investigation.

The alleged scam at the Philippines' premier airport has spurred public outcry, with the government promising to conduct investigations, suspend erring airport personnel, and implement new security measures.

A senators has also recommended having help desks set up at the airport, staffed by lawyers from the Public Attorneys' Office. – Rappler.com

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1