‘Tanim-Bala’ Bullet Scam at NAIA

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I've heard much of the outrage is from people who have never even flown on an aircraft.

Seems typical in this day and age where all someone has to do to protest is push a button on Facebook...

• Like 1
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• contraman

• Salty Dog

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't be a better example of  stupidity. Where do they find these folks? With international news organizations picking up the story, tourists will stay away in droves. Couldn't be a better reason t

My wife wonders why I dislike the Philippines,    I showed her these articles and her response was along these lines,   I was talking to my family last night and they know nothing about it so it

I like the chairmans attitude 

Posted Images

NUJP hits media restrictions at Naia amid ‘tanim-bala’ scam

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/738471/nujp-hits-media-restrictions-at-naia-amid-tanim-bala-scam

08:32 PM November 10th, 2015

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines has condemned the reported restrictions being imposed on journalists covering the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) at the height of the alleged “tanim-bala” (bullet-planting) extortion scheme.
Noting that “brazen and baseless” acts have no place in a democracy, NUJP said no reason was given to the media for such restrictions.
“The only reason we see for the sudden restrictions on media is to cloak the truth on the alleged extortion racket. Indeed, such a move can only backfire on Naia and the personnel suspected of the scandal if it turns out, as they claim, that the ‘tanim bala’ is a fiction ‘blown out of proportion,” NUJP said in a statement.
ADVERTISEMENT

NUJP also criticized the barring of media covering the proceedings in the charges against detained real estate developer Delfin Lee, alleged mastermind of the P7-billion Glober Asiatique housing scam, at the Regional Trial Court in San Fernando, Pampanga.
“Keeping a lid on the trial of Lee would deprive the victims of the housing scam of their right to information on a case on which many of their lives and futures literally hinge,” NUJP said.
The press union demanded the immediate lifting of the “sudden and unexplained” restrictions, especially that the issues concerned are matters of public interest.
“While there may be valid reasons to bar media from covering an event, neither of these issues fit the known criteria, such as national security, diplomacy, privacy or protecting the identities of children and women,” NUJP said.
“These restrictions are only perpetuating the culture of impunity that is plaguing the country where wrongdoers go unpunished. Such acts have no place in a democracy that is already suffering from the distinction of being the 4th most dangerous country for journalists as per the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalist’s 2015 Global Impunity Index and even as we are commemorating the International End Impunity Campaign from November 2 to 23,” it added. TVJ

CardiacKid

Couldn't be a better example of  stupidity. Where do they find these folks? With international news organizations picking up the story, tourists will stay away in droves. Couldn't be a better reason to visit other southeast asian  countries.

• Like 4

Ok I changed the font, I hope everybody can read it now

Case vs man caught with bullet at Manila port dismissed

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/738765/case-vs-man-caught-with-bullet-at-manila-port-dismissed

06:36 PM November 11th, 2015

The Manila Prosecutors Office has dismissed for further investigation the case against an individual over alleged possession of a bullet at the Manila North Harbor Port early this week.
Luisito Solitario, 45, was arrested after a live 9-mm bullet was found in his luggage during X-ray examination at the passenger terminal complex in Pier 4 on Sunday.
In a two-page resolution, Manila City Prosecutor Edward Togonon said the recovered bullet should be subjected to a ballistic examination.

“There is a need to subject the recovered bullet to ballistic examination and/or finger print lifting to determine its real source and/or owner. Without that, evidence would be insufficient to indict suspect/respondent,” read the ruling.
The prosecutor cited the similarity of the circumstances with other cases, “thereby fueling speculations about the possible operation of a ‘laglag/tanim bala’ syndicate.”
Solitario was assisted by public attorney’s office during inquest proceedings.
Earlier this week, 12 individuals arrested at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport for possession of bullets have been ordered released from detention.
Those ordered release were Rufina Cruz, Melody Valdez, Marlou Espanola, Rowena Otic, Milagros Cadiente, Mildred Botog, Ma. Josephine Rabano, Shine Enola, Rey Salado, Ryan Rosales, Santiago Cabrera and Gloria Ortinez.
They were also assisted by the public attorney’s office during inquest proceedings.
The other day, the charges against 72-year-old Antonina Agustin, who was also apprehended at the Naia, was dismissed for lack of probable cause.
Prosecutors cited the lack of criminal intent in Agustin’s possession of 9-mm and .38-cal. bullets in her luggage and accepted her defense that they served as amulets to protect her from sickness wherever she went.

I <3 Cebu

ffs just make it a non prosecutable offence, if a bullet is detected, confiscate it & send the customer on their way. Problem solved...

OWWA offers hotlines, counseling to OFW-victims of bullet-planting

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/738796/owwa-offers-hotlines-counseling-to-ofw-victims-of-bullet-planting

08:32 PM November 11th, 2015

DAVAO CITY, Philippines — The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) in Southern Mindanao said it has opened a service to extend comfort and counseling, aside from legal assistance, to overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) falling prey to the extortionist scheme “tanim-bala (bullet-planting)” in airports.
owwa1211
“Aside from the legal service, we will visit them at police precincts if they are detained, as well as visit the homes of their respective families,” said Eduardo Bellido, OWWA director for Southern Mindanao.
“We lend assistance to them because of the trauma they may experience,” Bellido told the Philippine Daily Inquirer by phone, on Wednesday.
Bellido said OWWA personnel have been deployed at the F. Bangoy International Airport here to see to it that OFWs would not be placed in unnecessary harm due to the scheme of planting bullets in their bags or luggage by unscrupulous airport personnel.

He said they have not been remiss in informing the workers of the “do’s and don’ts” when leaving the country for work.
“In our pre-departure orientation seminar, we tell them about what not to bring such as illegal drugs, firearms, bullets and things prohibited to carry onboard,” he said.
Bellido said the practice of some OFWs to bring bullets as their lucky charm or amulets has been unfortunate.
“They don’t know that it can spell trouble for them, so we keep on advising them against carrying bullets,” he said.
Bellido also advised OFWs to keep a close watch on their bags and luggage and, if necessary, “cover it with plastic and use padlocks.”
In case of trouble, Bellido said an OFW could call the following OWWA hotline numbers: OWWA 24/7 Operations Center – (+632) 551-6641) (+632) 833-6992 (+632) 551-1560 (0917) 898-6992 OWWA Davao Hotline Numbers – (0917) 701-1135 (082) 221-8593 (082) 227-9536.  SFM

With international news organizations picking up the story, tourists will stay away in droves. 

Good!

• Like 1

American asks judge to determine probable cause in illegal bullet case

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/738856/american-asks-judge-to-determine-probable-cause-in-illegal-bullet-case

11:14 PM November 11th, 2015

MANILA, Philippines — The legal counsel of an alleged “tanim bala” (plant-a-bullet) victim and American missionary has filed a motion for judicial determination of probable cause.
During a hearing on Wednesday at the Pasay Regional Court Branch 119, Ernesto Arellano, the lawyer of 20-year-old Lane Michael White told Judge Pedro de Leon Gutierrez that White’s camp was withdrawing the earlier motion for the reinvestigation of the case.
“We filed this motion for judicial determination of probable cause so that the judge will now be the one who will determine if there is really probable cause for filing the charge,” Arellano explained.
He added that this move was deemed “more practical and faster” by his client.

“[The proceedings] are taking too long for them. They are already financially dislocated. They came here to set up an outreach for their church but this is what happened, a very unfortunate one,” the lawyer added.
White, a Florida native, was arrested on Sept. 17 at the NAIA Terminal 4 departure area, along with his father, an American pastor, and his Filipino stepmother, as they were supposed to board a plane to Coron, Palawan.
The three came from the United States and had a connecting flight from China to the Philippines.
Airport baggage inspectors Maria Elma Cena and Marvin Garcia reportedly found the .22 cal. bullet in White’s possession after his baggage went through an X-ray scanner of the domestic terminal.
In filing the motion, Arellano argued that it was clearly a “tanim bala” scam since the airport personnel clearly placed the ammunition into the foreigner’s luggage.
“We believe that the bullet was locally made,” added the lawyer, noting that if White was really carrying the piece of metal, it would have been detected by the international screening counters they earlier passed.
He added that they also submitted to the court video footages of the incident showing that White’s luggage went through the X-ray machine more than five times before the bullet was seen on the screen.
“Garcia was also using his bare hands when searching the luggage instead of letting the owner unpack his belongings to check for the suspicious item,” Arellano added.
White’s camp also earlier claimed that SPO2 Rolando Clarin of the Philippine National Police Aviation Security Group (Avsegroup) asked from them P30,000 in exchange for the American’s freedom.
But since White did not agree to give the amount, he was detained for six days at the Avsegroup detention cell. He was able to get out of jail after posting a P40,000 bail.
Asked what White would do if the case against him was dropped, Arellano said he might file a case against the airport personnel.
“But now he and his family are hoping that the Philippine government will do something about this “tanim bala” scheme because many foreigners will take this example as a consideration in investing money in the country,” added White’s lawyer.
He noted that the government should give visiting individuals in the Philippines an assurance that they would be treated fairly in the country.
“This is what we want to deliver to the government. Take immediate action now,” Arellano said.
Gutierrez gave the Avsegroup personnel’s lawyers 10 days to comment, then another five days to Arellano to reply.
“After that we will see if the case will be dismissed and take action against them [airport personnel],” the judge added.  SFM

• Like 2
contraman

American asks judge to determine probable cause in illegal bullet case

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/738856/american-asks-judge-to-determine-probable-cause-in-illegal-bullet-case

11:14 PM November 11th, 2015

Very good,   Looks like some are getting backed into a corner

We await with interest the outcome :)

More people still caught with bullets at airport

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/738900/more-people-still-caught-with-bullets-at-airport

05:20 AM November 12th, 2015

Even with the Office for Transportation Security (OTS) new “no touch” policy in its security screening process, more people are still being found with bullets and arrested at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia).
According to records of the Aviation Security Group, it has arrested 23 people, mostly women and senior citizens, since Nov. 1 when the alleged “tanim bala” (bullet-planting) scheme was unmasked.
While most of the arrested ammunition-carriers have owned up to carrying the bullets for luck and protection, a handful still blame the alleged “tanim-bala” group at Naia for their misfortune.
Advertisement

Tighter security
The OTS, an attached agency of the Department of Transportation and Communications, attributes the noticeable increase in the number of bullet-toting people to security screening changes.
Manila International Airport Authority General Manager Jose Angel Honrado blames lack of public awareness and superstition.
When the first allegations of bullet-planting came out in September, the OTS started reviewing its security screening procedure.
“In response to the issue and to remove the public’s suspicion on our personnel, the management decided to adopt the ‘no-touch policy,’ where only the passenger handles his baggage and sifts through its contents to look for a detected contraband item,” said OTS deputy administrator Robert Villanueva.
Baggage feeders
Before, there were baggage feeders assigned at the security screening checkpoints to make sure that luggage is properly placed on the X-ray scanner conveyors.
Baggage feeders were soon removed and only three personnel—the X-ray operator, the baggage inspector and the frisker—are now assigned at each security screening checkpoint at the Naia terminals.
The OTS has also eliminated any physical contact between its personnel and passenger baggage. “This way, the possibility of bullet-planting by any of our employees is removed,” said Villanueva.
He said the installation of closed circuit TV systems in all security screening checkpoints and the initiative of passengers to seal their luggage in plastic or packaging tape have also helped to ensure it would impossible for anyone to slip anything into the passenger baggage.

• Like 1
thebob

Random spot checks and searches of security personal should also be implemented. These bullets have to come from somewhere.

Random spot checks and searches of security personal should also be implemented. These bullets have to come from somewhere.

I have said that all along. The screeners need screening.

Its not just the scam and releasing people. They bought an international airline ticket and had schedules. The time and money wasted by passengers just trying to sort all this out must take a big whack out of savings.  

cvgtpc1

What I don't get with the sudden increase is it happening more or more people objecting to paying the scammer?

And I've seen the payoff is 500-1000P? Sorry but I'd pay that in an instant to get out of Dodge. Then report it later...but what if that'd get you blacklisted...so...

My life in the US needing to continue as it is wouldn't allow me to have principles.

Edited by cvgtpc1

What I don't get with the sudden increase is it happening more or more people objecting to paying the scammer?

And I've seen the payoff is 500-1000P? Sorry but I'd pay that in an instant to get out of Dodge. Then report it later...but what if that'd get you blacklisted...so...

My life in the US needing to continue as it is wouldn't allow me to have principles.

I understand your thinking and the bullet scammers are counting on your line of thinking.

I'm retired and don't need to be anywhere so I'd go down kicking and screaming. Seriously I'd be pointing at the individual and screaming "This corrupt asshole planted a bullet in my bag" all the way to lock up. I've cut my nose off to spite my face many times over principal and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

• Like 2