Sign in to follow this  
JSL-USMC

Wells and water pressure systems

JSL-USMC

Need advice on water system. I just had a well drilled, 250 ft. 2 HP submersible pump, delivers 50 gals. good water in 3 min at well head. Not plumbed to the house yet. The plumber want us to put in a 1000 L. tank 30 feet in the air. Seems to me that we only need a 40 gal pressure tank at the well head. Which is the best way to go?  If a pressure tank does it need another pump on it or should the submersible pump be all that I need?

Paul

Need advice on water system. I just had a well drilled, 250 ft. 2 HP submersible pump, delivers 50 gals. good water in 3 min at well head. Not plumbed to the house yet. The plumber want us to put in a 1000 L. tank 30 feet in the air. Seems to me that we only need a 40 gal pressure tank at the well head. Which is the best way to go? If a pressure tank does it need another pump on it or should the submersible pump be all that I need?

I'll tell you the same advice I told Bill (cebubird), when he posted asking. Originally, I suggested a 1,500 Liter tank. He went with a 1,000 Liter tank, though. Here are a couple of posts Bill made, regarding having installed a tank in the air:

Paul gotta thank you for advising me to go with 1000 liter tank when I was about to do this.

We have had 2 days of cat-pee water pressure coming in, so the tank has been used for 2 days. Had our handyman climb up this eve and we had maybe half tank left. So if I hadn't followed your advice, we'd be out of water tonite.

Thanks Big Guy.

Even a COOL one would feel so nice. Am thankful that we installed a water tank/tower since basically we have no water in the daytime now, and tank fills at night so we have water next day. BUT the water is HOT-hotter than the water heater in our bathrooms.

LOL pool is like a warm bathtub and then shower is hotter.

By the way, I still advise installing a 1,500 Liter tank. I just like to make sure I am covered. Water is something you do NOT want to be without. The reason I say this is, and I have yet to find it, but Bill made a post where the tank was almost empty once. Water was only in the very bottom of the tank, at one point. So, if you are considering this, and I believe it to be a good idea to do so, definitely think about going with a 1,500 Liter tank.

Keep in mind, John, especially if you do not have any alternative power sources during a power cut, a tank at even 30 feet would gravity feed into the house. A pressure tank at ground level is not going to be anything but a water storage device during a power cut. (And, 50' would be better, by far, than 30', IF you can do that.)

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Paul
If a pressure tank does it need another pump on it or should the submersible pump be all that I need?

Sorry. I didn't see this before. Maybe someone else more voiced on well systems can advise here.

I know if you have a submersible pump, you shouldn't need anything else but the pressure tank to get the water to the house. An auxiliary tank at 30' to 50', however, I can't say.

Edited by Paul
spelling

AussieLex

I have had both ...  the pressure tank on demand kind of thing... turn the tap on, the pressure in the line drops and the pump kicks in giving you good water pressure works great until there is a brown out ...

The tank set on a tank stand, nothing beats gravity flow for simplicity and reliability, if the power goes out you still have water ... it doesn't need to be super high either... try an experiment with a drum of water hoisted up in the air and see the pressure you get at different heights... you really don't need much height to get reasonable pressure.... my tank outlet was only about 9 or 10 feet higher than the faucets and it worked great. 

For mine I would put in a good size tank with a float valve set up so it automatically fills when its low or when supply is available and the pressure in the house remains constant all the time.

You have a well with a pump so are only limited by electrical supply so if you have a generator as a back up your small pressure tank might be the way to go... but I would go the tank on a stand regardless... 

• Like 4

RogerDuMond

Need advice on water system. I just had a well drilled, 250 ft. 2 HP submersible pump, delivers 50 gals. good water in 3 min at well head. Not plumbed to the house yet. The plumber want us to put in a 1000 L. tank 30 feet in the air. Seems to me that we only need a 40 gal pressure tank at the well head. Which is the best way to go?  If a pressure tank does it need another pump on it or should the submersible pump be all that I need?

I use a shallow well pump on a 135' well with a pressure tank and no tank and no aux. pump.

Edited by RogerDuMond
  • Like 1

JSL-USMC

I'll tell you the same advice I told Bill (cebubird), when he posted asking. Originally, I suggested a 1,500 Liter tank. He went with a 1,000 Liter tank, though. Here are a couple of posts Bill made, regarding having installed a tank in the air:

By the way, I still advise installing a 1,500 Liter tank. I just like to make sure I am covered. Water is something you do NOT want to be without. The reason I say this is, and I have yet to find it, but Bill made a post where the tank was almost empty once. Water was only in the very bottom of the tank, at one point. So, if you are considering this, and I believe it to be a good idea to do so, definitely think about going with a 1,500 Liter tank.

Keep in mind, John, especially if you do not have any alternative power sources during a power cut, a tank at even 30 feet would gravity feed into the house. A pressure tank at ground level is not going to be anything but a water storage device during a power cut. (And, 50' would be better, by far, than 30', IF you can do that.)

Thanks, I hadn't even considered power outage. We are putting in a generator but it's only 3 KW and is mostly for fans and lights. Maybe it will handle the pump too. The tank is probably the best route. I've got gobs of money in that sumbitch already.

• Like 2

Paul

I've got gobs of money in that sumbitch already.

Well, then a little more won't matter. :D :D 

Sorry, man. I couldn't help myself. 

Have you considered going solar for the pump? Well systems do not have to have batteries, especially if they are simply pumping to a tank that you can gravity feed from. 

Paul

Keep in mind that, for every foot off the ground, you only get about .43 psi.

At 30', you would have 13.01 psi. At 50', you would have 21.68 psi.

We aren't talking very high pressure here. 

However, some pressure (during a power cut) is better than no pressure (during a power cut). :)

cebulover2000

We are connected to the local water utility but also have a 1,000 ltr tank and a 20 gallon pressure tank with pump. The tank is only 10 feet high but it is usable during brownout or no water. I also have a small quiet generator which can power everything but the aircon. A 3 KW generator is huge and will need a lot of gas, another variable to think off if there is water shortage or brownout. If you only need it for lights and fans, I wonder how many do you have (our fans are using 30 Watt each and the lights are all LED, so 0.5 HP will be enough).

RogerDat

The tank in the air needs cleaning inside because of algae growth. Mactan water is high mineral and the minerals are nasty when heated by the sun. We have a pressure tank now, and a manual pump if needed for backup. That tank in the air needs insulation, and only put plastic fittings in it because of corrosion. Float valves are available to control level. 

Will your well supply support a thousand l. of water? Our old well did not, and burned up several pumps.

Paul
The tank in the air needs cleaning inside because of algae growth.

Tanks should be sealed so no light can enter them. This will prevent any algae growth from occurring. 

Will your well supply support a thousand l. of water? Our old well did not, and burned up several pumps.

Not sure I follow this. After the initial filling of the storage tank, the pump will only have to cycle to top it off, in most cases after the power has been restored. 

There are solar water pumps in Phnom Penh that run all day long. No batteries, only running as sun hits the panels, providing enough voltage to run the pumps. One pump I know of has about 25,000 liters run through it, on any good sunny day.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

RogerDat

red/brown algae will grow in dark here, its in the rocks. 

I could never get the float set right, I found 52L was max production, and the float setting exceeded that, and once prim was lost, pump would keep running till it burned out. 

The 40L pressure tank cycled and only drew about 20L each cycle, so the well could keep up.

Most wells where I live are max 35 feet deep in limestone.

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 1

JSL-USMC

THANKS to al that responded to this. Have to put it on hold. My baby girl back in hospital.

Headshot

My baby girl back in hospital.

Best wishes John.

Paul

THANKS to al that responded to this. Have to put it on hold. My baby girl back in hospital.

Just read this. I hope she is okay now. 

I know you have gone through some serious stuff recently. I hope things certainly get better for you and your family, soon.

• Like 1