Sign in to follow this  
Canuck Joe

Connection strangeness Mactan South.

Canuck Joe

Anybody else in the erea experiencing Internet connection problems? 

It's been going on for at least 3 weeks. 

Connection and speed is average until....a call or video messenger service is used. A skype call for instance will cut out every 8 minutes like clock work...then be able to reconnect after 2 minutes. During that time it then affects the Web browser connection where as it is fine for youtube and browsing before using a messenger service. 

This happens with pc and mobile...mobile we favour the Facebook messenger. 

Our niebor friends who are on a different network, Globe...have the same problem as well as another friend  3 barangays away.

The networks claim to be aware of an issue but never send anyone to our place to check hardware. 

What could going on?!?! 

Is someone trying to tap into video chat and voip calls in this erea? 

Edited by Canuck Joe

JohnD

Is someone trying to tap into video chat and voip calls in this erea

Could be NSA has offered equipment to the Philippines through some local NGO and they have started using it.  

contraman

Is someone trying to tap into video chat and voip calls in this erea? 

Why, 

Are you an international Spy ? :yahoo:

• Like 1

Canuck Joe

LOL...its super frustrating and I just really need skype and Internet to work.

This part of the island has a severe child Web cam problem, so maybe they are trying to actually do something about it. Doubt it.

Canuck Joe

Ok it's obvious voip is being blocked, Internet tells me this is not uncommon in backwards countries.

It also tells me a vpn service is the awnser as well as getting around throttling and caps...full throttle baby!

What say LinC computer guys...is there a vpn you would recommend?

RogerDat

SMART cannot or will not connect to a U.S. based sight such as FB, and hotmail due to speed issues. If your connection is too slow, they ignore you it seames.

Canuck Joe

SMART cannot or will not connect to a U.S. based sight such as FB, and hotmail due to speed issues. If your connection is too slow, they ignore you it seames.

We have had the SMART antenna on the roof for ages, its old and worn out im sure....wouldn't be surprised if its been hit by lighting a few times. Skype has worked with it since 2008, my wife has been teaching Engrish to Koreans with Skype for the last 4 years...up until recently. Smart has been bought by PLDT. Our friends next door on Globe cable have voip issues too as well as others on south Mactan.

It must be a blocking issue, no sense upgrading our system and having to get into a new contract if other providers are having the same problem.

We are desperate, Im going to try a VPD for what its worth...aprox 12$ a month, money back with in 30 days if it doesn't work. 

https://www.expressvpn.com/

cvgtpc1

We are desperate, Im going to try a VPD for what its worth...aprox 12$ a month, money back with in 30 days if it doesn't work.

https://www.expressvpn.com/

I use PIA, recommended by someone here. $30 a year I think. I've only used it in the US so far. Coming to the PI in a week or two and interested to see if Netflix will work for the real test.

• Like 1

JohnD

a severe child Web cam problem

I'm a little afraid to ask but what is that?

• Like 1

Canuck Joe

I'm a little afraid to ask but what is that?

there is a word missing i cant bring my self to type in the same sentence as child....parents and others pimping kids on webcam. Its thick in these parts and has been for years.

Woolf

Smart has been bought by PLDT
'

SMART has always been owned by PLDT

SMART is the cellphone arm of PLDT

What is new is that PLDT took over the SMART canopy system

well it had nothing to do with cellphone system anyway

cebulover2000

HMA is a good, facebook actually works faster when I connect to a US based server, $57/year, you can choose which location you want to connect.

Canuck Joe

'

SMART has always been owned by PLDT

SMART is the cellphone arm of PLDT

What is new is that PLDT took over the SMART canopy system

well it had nothing to do with cellphone system anyway

Ah i see, the bills changed and we now go to PLDT offices to complain.

Just finished Skyping with wife....every 9 minutes it cuts.

RogerDat

I don't know if PLDT on Mactan knows they own it.

I be surprised if you can complain about Smart there, they don't like whiners, and will do nothing about PLDT issues.

Does HMA work in Cebu? ( Hide My Ass) LOL

maybe the kiddy p*orn folks need that one!

Woolf

http://smart.com.ph/About/meet/corporate-profile

Smart is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Philippines' leading telecommunications carrier, the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company.