Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Update on Alan's death

Bill H

Not such a bad death after all.  Thank you for getting the facts to us.  I'm happy he did not suffer or linger in some hospital.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Thanks again Paul, Alan is going to be missed for a very long time here.

• Like 6

trthebees

I clicked like because I appreciate the effort you made Paul to find out the circumstances of Alan's passing and Bigmook for finding a photo. I'm not sure it was the right thing to do for a sad notice, but it's good to read that Alan was active until the end.

As I've said before, I'll miss Alan's witty, incisive and selfless observations on topics and hope his family know how much he was respected on this forum.

• Like 6

Paul

Well, I figure some of the members here would have wanted to know. I know I did. 

I figure ol' Alan doesn't mind, knowing him as I did. I would want the membership to know how I went out, as well. 

• Like 8

Enuff

I'm glad he got to do what he loved to do and happy he went quickly.

God Bless

• Like 5

Chas

I can confirm that 01202 is the Bournemouth Area Code. My memory has not failed completely, Alan did live in the Bournemouth area.

Thanks Paul.

• Like 1

Headshot

He certainly lived a rich and varied life. He was not only involved in LinC Forums. He was also a member of a radio club and a model steam engine club. Hopefully there will be an obit or a bio that tells us more about what he did in his life.

• Like 2

Paul

He certainly lived a rich and varied life. He was not only involved in LinC Forums. He was also a member of a radio club and a model steam engine club. Hopefully there will be an obit or a bio that tells us more about what he did in his life.

The funny part is, we were good friends over all these years. However, we had never met, even once, face to face. Probably the longest single friendship I had with anyone, whom I had never even been in the same city with. God, he was a part of these forums, the archived forums, AND the original Yahoo Group.

• Like 2

scoander

Thanks, Paul.

Edited by scoander

USMC-Retired

Odd thing about life it can end without warning. Rest in peace my brother, Fair winds and following seas as you travel to the next chapter.

• Like 1

Chas

Members might be interested in the following tribute to Alan on the Southgate Amateur Radio News website:

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2015/october/alan_stepney_g8blw_sk.htm#.VjOqB3rhCW9

Alan Stepney G8BLW Silent Key (and whistle!)

Rob Mannion G3XFD writes a personal tribute:

It’s with great sadness that I heard that Alan Stepney G8BLW died while attending the Poole Radio Society (G4PRS) on Friday October 23rd 2015, after becoming ill during the meeting. Our condolences and sympathy go to his family.

Alan was a driving force in the Poole Club and his enthusiasm was always ‘full throttle’ whenever he was talking about radio valves, model engineering and railways. I often cast covetous eyes on his live steam scale model Bulleid West Country Class steam locomotive…. but he wouldn’t part with it and it became a standing joke between us! 

Alan was also extremely well known in the hobby and the model engineering fraternity for his truly fascinating lectures on radio valves and their history. Nothing pleased him more than finding a rare high power transmitter valve and he was adamant in advising me that he knew of a plentiful supply of transmitting valves suitable for the 198kHz long wave trasnsmitter at Droitwich… despite the fact the BBC insists they are virtually unobtainable!

Alan’s kind, gentle and caring nature was such that he could always ‘further’ the education of a particular magazine Editor on Amateur Radio - particularly valves - without ‘talking down’ to that Editor (me!) who knew much less about the subject than he did. His enthusiasm was infectious and we spent many hours talking at the club whenever I found time to attend, on 2m and the ‘phone on every topic involving radio, general engineering and steam engines. It was fascinating to hear about the club visits he made and places he had attended to ‘find that special valve’. He was in great demand as a speaker and I’ve no doubt he will be greatly missed.

Thank you for being such a great friend and encouragement Alan….
your steam engine whistle may be silent now, but my memories of you will always glow brightly!

Rob

For further details on Alan’s funeral arrangements and latest updates, please see the Poole Radio Society G4PRS websitehttp://www.g4prs.org.uk

• Like 8

montserrat

I didn't know him, but at least he died in a mechanical object. It could have been the QE2 I suppose, like David Frost when his time came. Or some grand sleeper train, like the South African Blue Train, or even considering he was British, the sleeper up to Scotland. Few get to really choose the how and where of it.

Chas

Alan's cremation service is at Poole crematorium on Monday 16th November at Noon (8pm Cebu time).

So raise a glass to him at that time and remember a true Gentleman!

In my online 'stalking' of Alan to try and find the time of the funeral service, I have been struck by what a busy life he led and how much of his time he devoted to helping others. Alan was not one to let the moss gather!

• Like 4

bcchance

So sorry to hear. :(

He was a mainstay for those like myself in the audience, who learned a lot from him and others without jamming.

Let life be as beautiful as summer flowers
And death as beautiful as autumn leaves.
~Rabindranath Tagore

RIP