Hello! Sorry for bringing up this thread from the dead. I want to add a separate circuit for my personal computer and future homelab equipment (FreeNAS server and KVM hypervisor servers).

As is the norm here, there is no grounding conductor in the house I am currently staying at. I actually receive a small shock every time I any metallic object that is connected to my computer (e.g. USB ports, connected USB plugs). I have also read somewhere that having a surge protector with no ground makes the surge protector not protecting the connected equipment. Does anyone here have any suggested certified or licensed electrician that could do what I want (and preferably at a low price)? I am located in Lapu-Lapu City, near the Birhen sa Regla Church in Mercado. Our supplier is MECO. Thank you!

========

Split from THIS TOPIC.

Edited by Paul
added tags
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• Cipro

• senseless

• doomsweek

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drive a metal stake into the soil outside ....run a wire from your cpu case to the stake....no more shocks!

yes there is a tiny leakage  but it is NOT a fault in the wiring   it is normal, it is an effect of the line emi filter in the equipment, there is no danger   the leakage is so small that it would

There are many types and shapes of EMI line filters   https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=single+pole+emi+filter&espv=2&biw=1523&bih=867&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&am

Posted Images

Hello! Sorry for bringing up this thread from the dead. I want to add a separate circuit for my personal computer and future homelab equipment (FreeNAS server and KVM hypervisor servers).

As is the norm here, there is no grounding conductor in the house I am currently staying at. I actually receive a small shock every time I any metallic object that is connected to my computer (e.g. USB ports, connected USB plugs). I have also read somewhere that having a surge protector with no ground makes the surge protector not protecting the connected equipment. Does anyone here have any suggested certified or licensed electrician that could do what I want (and preferably at a low price)? I am located in Lapu-Lapu City, near the Birhen sa Regla Church in Mercado. Our supplier is MECO. Thank you!

I do not know about MECO,  

Do you know if MECO supplies  2 hot  or 1 hot and one neutral ?

going to the house is it 2 insulated wire or 1 insulated and 1 bare wire ?

I do not know about MECO,  

Do you know if MECO supplies  2 hot  or 1 hot and one neutral ?

going to the house is it 2 insulated wire or 1 insulated and 1 bare wire ?

I see 2 insulated wires.

Greetings fellow FreeNAS user ;)

First, if you are getting a shock, you have a separate issue. I'm unsure what the PEC says, I don't have a copy and I didn't find a good PDF online, but this sounds like you have a device that is expecting the "neutral" to be at ground potential, and it is not. In America, I would say make sure you are using a GFCI and that the neutral is properly sized and grounded. Many devices used to bond the neutral to chassis. 

Ideally, the neutral (grounded conductor) and ground (grounding conductor) would both be tied to earth ground at your distribution panel and would then be brought separately to each point of use. 

I'm in the process of rebuilding an ESXi box myself ;)

I see 2 insulated wires.

Sounds to me that you have in USA at split phase system there,  it is wired at the transformer just as in USA, the diff is that neutral

is not going to the house

If you feel a tinkling when you touch a metal chassis on some your equipment, tells me that there could be an asymmetric line filter in your in your equipment

it should not kill you

You can connect the chassis on your equipment to a simple ground rod outside your house, the ground does not have to be that efective

Edited by Woolf

Sounds to me that you have in USA at split phase system there,  it is wired at the transformer just as in USA, the diff is that neutral

is not going to the house

Does that mean that in order for me to have a properly grounded system, I have to let the power company connect the neutral to the house?

The dreaded tingle of electricity coursing through your appliances.

I've had a computer get fried and haven't plugged in my nice hifi for months now because of this darn issue.

'grounded' as they call it...which means actually it's not grounded.

I'm not sure the proper technicalities but apparently it's a problem with a badly installed wiring system. No voltage regulator or surge device will stop it.

People talk about making your own ground but how does this work? I live in a house and want to ground my pc or record player your telling me I have to run a wire form the 'chassis'? case? to the earth outside...

Any electricians care to shed some light for us lamens?

Thanks

Does that mean that in order for me to have a properly grounded system, I have to let the power company connect the neutral to the house?

If that is what you want  YES

in fact what you want is same as north america system   2 x 120    and split phase 240

I do not know if they will do it

I know with VECO you will have to pay extra for your own pole transformer

The dreaded tingle of electricity coursing through your appliances.

I've had a computer get fried and haven't plugged in my nice hifi for months now because of this darn issue.

'grounded' as they call it...which means actually it's not grounded.

I'm not sure the proper technicalities but apparently it's a problem with a badly installed wiring system. No voltage regulator or surge device will stop it.

People talk about making your own ground but how does this work? I live in a house and want to ground my pc or record player your telling me I have to run a wire form the 'chassis'? case? to the earth outside...

Any electricians care to shed some light for us lamens?

Thanks

Adapter !

who is the supplier in your area?

ahhh just checked you are in cebu city so it is VECO then

just run a thin wire to a simple ground rod outside, it is leakage current from your equipment line filter

very very low current

does not have to be very effective ground

Here is info for VECO

http://www.veco.com.ph/page.html?main=clients&sub1=service%20requests&sub2=start%20service&sub3=residential

2. Does your application:

exceed 8,000 Watts in total?

need a three-phase supply?, OR

require a service voltage other than 220 Volts?

(When in doubt, you can consult a licensed electrical practitioner)

If YES, you need to apply for a separate transformer and will be required to put up a deposit for such. Please see our Customer Retail Services Department (CRSD).

Wow - I'm not sure why informing someone that the electricians they hired were doing it wrong (complete w/ illustration of doing it right) was removed. It's like we've become old ladies here. 

My bad - we have 2 threads running for some reason. 

Edited by Cipro

Wow - I'm not sure why informing someone that the electricians they hired were doing it wrong (complete w/ illustration of doing it right) was removed. It's like we've become old ladies here. 

No posts have been removed from, or hidden in this thread.

My bad - we have 2 threads running for some reason. 

I was trying to let the thread from June drop off and continue with the new thread, with new posts having recently been added. 

Didn't work out very well for me, though, I see. 

That is a sign that - I need to go to bed. Nyt. Nyt.

Well it was early morning pre-coffee for me, maybe I'm cranky in the AM who knew?