Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Sarcastic and snide replies

colemanlee

This is where I would normally post one of the forums humorous emoticons…

Do we have sarcastic emoticons?  wait... :sarcasm:

thebob

But that wouldn't actually add anything to the conversation would it?

Thread clutter like that just makes it harder to find information on the forum and wastes bandwidth.

• Like 2

colemanlee

and wastes bandwidth.

Is that like a belt that too short?

• Like 3

Salty Dog

But that wouldn't actually add anything to the conversation would it?

Thread clutter like that just makes it harder to find information on the forum and wastes bandwidth.

Who are you to say a humorous response adds any less to conversation than any other response. Why do serious meeting often start with a joke? Why is humor injected in just about every subject discussion you can think of?

Your response post just took over 100 times the bandwidth that an emoticon would have.

Maybe you should ask Paul to remove all the emoticons from upstairs. One of the mods feels at least one should be removed.

• Like 5

thebob

Your response post just took over 100 times the bandwidth that an emoticon would have.

My post added information to the thread. It attempted to explain why it may not be appropriate to randomly post emoticons into threads.

Maybe you should ask Paul to remove all the emoticons from upstairs.

Emoticons are appropriate to clarify a point if the text maybe construed as ambiguous. They often serve a worthwhile purpose.

A lone emoticon, adds nothing. The posters opinion could be better expressed with thanks or likes to a post that the poster supports.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Okay

• Like 1

Paul

I've decided to just curtail most of my posting upstairs unless it's a topic I've started. Afterall there are more than enough self professed experts to answer any question that comes up, many times over.

This is exactly what I do not wish to happen. I want any and all members to feel as though they can post questions, comments, replies, etc., on any thread. 

People shouldn't behave like boys in a school yard, when it comes to replying to requests on a site. 

• Like 2

Paul

I did not ask to be given access to downstairs, I was asked or I would not have gone. Personal attacks on friends downstairs is one thing, personal attacks by enemies is totally a different thing. I am glad a group of friends can have fun both downstairs and upstairs, as long as they do not use their banter to ruin it for the rest of the members.

Comparing upstairs forums and downstairs forums is apples and oranges. 

Personal attacks, as long as they are not threats, in downstairs forums, are fine. Also, we do not allow other family members to be drawn into attacks. That is, wives, girlfriends, sweethearts, other immediate family members, etc. As long as members keep their BS focused on the other member, all is fine. After all, that's what it is about, blowing off steam. 

Now, how the other member reacts, depends entirely on how thick their skin is, in most cases. 

So, we have to keep forums, whether upstairs or downstairs, in perspective here.

• Like 4

NOSOCALPINOY

its all good...sarcasm has its place...pointed responses have their place....most of the people who do the what you call hurtful responses have been here boots on the ground for many years...a lot of them, live here full time..and yes while some people just reply to stir shit, most do not...most who reply in a sarcastic manner do so to give a realistic idea of whats really going on if you meet somebody or plan on trying to stay here....and IMHO that's not a bad thing....I suppose we can agree to disagree....

Plain and simple IMHO, sarcastic and snide remarks have no place anywhere, it can just get you killed especially here in the Philippines or simply get punched in the face. It's a bad thing IMHO, because it is hurtful and do not need to be expressed on any public forum! That's why Paul brought up this topic in the first place, because he knows it has been hurting his forum for some time now and something had to be said and done.

Paul's post has been long over due in coming and I'm glad he brought it up and also sort of cleaned house for starters and maybe in that way this forum may bring back some of the female members and those who just went back to lurking in fear of being personally attacked and or ridiculed and can now return and participate.  

• Like 4

Paul

the good thing about this forum is the unvarnished replies to those who obviously need guidance in the worst way

Might you be talking about "tough love"? :D

• Like 3

Paul

Damn it. I was shafted again. 

Paul

Next, I never mind downstairs, or even up here where friends or even those I do not know like to play games but the ahole in question is not my friend, never has been and in fact I consider him an enemy since years ago when I tried to play nice with him in a private message after an attack, then he was his usual ahole self in his reply, thus when he attacked me again recently, not once but two times in two different threads and has done his best to rip apart my posts up here every chance he got for years, I was not happy about it but I always go back at him and am able to do so, too many others just disappear and cannot or do not wish to fight for themselves. Too many people wish to move to the Philippines to get away from conflict, not to have it tossed in their face on a forum.

Just keep in mind that, if posts are made in the hidden forums, it's a free-for-all.

However, if made upstairs, the post in question can and should be reported. Staff will deal with the offending post accordingly, at that time. 

• Like 1

Paul

I believe all members should know the good, the bad and the ugly of the Philippines

This has, basically, been the motto of the Living in Cebu family of sites, since their humble beginnings. 

The statement that has been on www.livingincebu.com for ages: "Straight, uncensored information from those who live in Cebu."

• Like 2

Paul

What forum should this topic be posted under????   Im sure it will be moved around till it finds the usual one.....

US cop shot dead a beloved pooch in front of owner

attachicon.gifdutchess-1.jpg

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/29885982/us-police-officer-shot-dead-dutchess-out-the-front-of-a-florida-home/

Question. Why was it posted in this thread? (I will split it now, into it's own thread.)