Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Sarcastic and snide replies

Paul

I was wondering the same thing

See my previous post, above. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Paul

Let's stay on topic here, people. The topic is showing each other a bit of respect when replying to their threads. 

• Like 1

Paul

After cleaning up the thread a bit, I now have restricted two members for pushing the envelope after I was quite clear in what I had to say. 

People, it doesn't take much to show a bit of respect to other members. Start doing so, please. After all, I am sure you would like the same respect, if asking something of the membership here. 

• Like 8

Lee

Thank you Paul  for posting this and doing this,  :thumbsup:  I feel it is long overdue to rein in those who ruin the forum for the rest of the members. 

• Like 5

Dafey

As a new poster I can say it is not only demeaning but intimidating reading some of the comebacks to honest questions. There are probably a ton of readers that hope someone else asks the question for fear of being flamed. I usually brush it off but most are not as thick skinned as me.

Kudos to Midnight for addressing this issue. I like this site because it is friendlier and on task than most I have been to. We need newbies to continually come and join as they are looking for the great info that the senior membership can provide.

• Like 9

Paul

Kudos to Midnight for addressing this issue.

Midnight is one of my cats, actually. :D I'm Paul. 

• Like 1

broden

Midnight is one of my cats, actually. :D I'm Paul. 

stay off the computer midnight

we know it's you cause you spelled everything right

• Like 5

colemanlee

Thank you Paul  for posting this and doing this,  :thumbsup:  I feel it is long overdue to rein in those who ruin the forum for the rest of the members. 

Personally, the sarcastic come backs, I find humorous, and just personally I find those that ask permission to be downstairs then want to change it, start personal attacks etc...to be a bit hypocritical, much like the ones that give likes to this post 

• Like 2

Salty Dog

I try to not let the snide crap bother me.. altho it does sometimes... mostly if I have something constructive to say or inoffensively funny occurs to me I will post it.. but other wise I tend to keep my mouth shut. In every crowd there will be those that are just un-happy ass-wipes that feel better about themselves only when they can pull down someone else.. glad of the post though.. maybe it will weed out some of the more self absorbed twats,, :P

Sometimes the line is blured between offensive and as you said inoffensive humor. Humor can be subjective at best. Then considering members being from different cultures with different views of what can be funny or offensive.

Most who know me know I'm pretty much a class clown. I can't remember the last time Paul called me for inappropriate humor. I've had a mod call me on one recently for simply using one of the forums emoticons without saying a single word. It got me banned from the thread and posting on the entire board for several hours. Needless to say since then I've been even more careful.

After being on LinC for awhile, one tends to get a feel for what pushes some mod's or for that matter certain other prolific posting member's buttons.

There are members who keep Paul and mods busy answering their incessant reports about other member's post. I have one member who asked that I never post in one of his threads because he doesn't find my humor, well humorous.

I've decided to just curtail most of my posting upstairs unless it's a topic I've started. Afterall there are more than enough self professed experts to answer any question that comes up, many times over.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 3

Lee

For eve

Personally, the sarcastic come backs, I find humorous, and just personally I find those that ask permission to be downstairs then want to change it, start personal attacks etc...to be a bit hypocritical, much like the ones that give likes to this post 

I did not ask to be given access to downstairs, I was asked or I would not have gone. Personal attacks on friends downstairs is one thing, personal attacks by enemies is totally a different thing. I am glad a group of friends can have fun both downstairs and upstairs, as long as they do not use their banter to ruin it for the rest of the members.

What members of a forum usually do not understand is that they do not get to see as much as the moderators do, you CLee should know that. 

For everyone one person who posts in this thread complaining about the idiots, there are probably tons more who will never post for fear of being picked on. I hope any of you who have not felt like posting because of those who pick on you or others will speak up, so Paul knows just how many of you feel the way i do.

Oh and my comments are not meant toward those who joke around, I do a bit of that as well, it is toward those who feel the need to correct members spelling, or their use of English on a forum about the Philippines, or pick on their words for their own enjoyment when they full well knew what the poster meant. I like humor as much as the next person, just not attacks on members. 

• Like 2

colemanlee

For eve

I did not ask to be given access to downstairs, I was asked or I would not have gone. Personal attacks on friends downstairs is one thing, personal attacks by enemies is totally a different thing. I am glad a group of friends can have fun both downstairs and upstairs, as long as they do not use their banter to ruin it for the rest of the members.

What members of a forum usually do not understand is that they do not get to see as much as the moderators do, you CLee should know that. 

For everyone one person who posts in this thread complaining about the idiots, there are probably tons more who will never post for fear of being picked on. I hope any of you who have not felt like posting because of those who pick on you or others will speak up, so Paul knows just how many of you feel the way i do.

Oh and my comments are not meant toward those who joke around, I do a bit of that as well, it is toward those who feel the need to correct members spelling, or their use of English on a forum about the Philippines, or pick on their words for their own enjoyment when they full well knew what the poster meant. I like humor as much as the next person, just not attacks on members. 

Personally, and its just me, sometimes, what you call attacks, are a wake up call to those that need them....I can probably list a hundred examples but will refrain from doing so...the good thing about this forum is the unvarnished replies to those who obviously need guidance in the worst way...those who often live in some kind of dream world about life here.  Unlike other places where all they get is peaches and cream....which is very far from the truth.  If it seems sarcastic, and saves somebody from making the mistake of their life...then good.  I for one, wish I had known what i do now before I got here (Philippines) it would have made life much easier...its very easy for some to read how wonderful it is here, and even easier for those here to tell them, its all good...sarcasm has its place...pointed responses have their place....most of the people who do the what you call hurtful responses have been here boots on the ground for many years...a lot of them, live here full time..and yes while some people just reply to stir shit, most do not...most who reply in a sarcastic manner do so to give a realistic idea of whats really going on if you meet somebody or plan on trying to stay here....and IMHO thats not a bad thing....I suppose we can agree to disagree....

• Like 5

colemanlee

I noticed a distinct clique here but that is the last thing I care to associate with. I think that is what drives a lot of it. They attach so much importance to what they say they attack if not agreed with. My pet theory.

Most likely your correct, there is a clique here, from folks that live here...its not so much importance to what they say as importance from having lived here for an extended period of time....

• Like 2

thebob

I noticed a distinct clique here but that is the last thing I care to associate with. I think that is what drives a lot of it. They attach so much importance to what they say they attack if not agreed with. My pet theory.

I'm very glad that you made this comment. I'd like to see a little more respect shown to some of the newer members. It can be intimidating to post on a forum, and it takes a while to understand how the format works.

Some posters here get annoyed that questions have been asked before, or seem obvious. From the perspective of a new poster, that isn't a very helpful or welcoming experience.

The moderators here do the best that they can, but they have a lot of posts to check and receive little thanks for their efforts. I think that Living in Cebu, LinC is a great resource for those with interest in Cebu, but some of the "older hands" would do well to remember that we were all new here at one time.

• Like 8

Salty Dog

This is where I would normally post one of the forums humorous emoticons…

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2