How bad are Filipino doctors?

Ok, I know you all say give it a rest. My personal experiences here with any Filipino doctor has been none the less horrible. You all may say the opposite, but let me put it to you this way...

I was in Bantayan last month and had dinner with one of the resort owners. A really nice lady too, her husband died 60years ago. Anyway, she had recently fell and shattered her knee-cap... where did she go for surgery????

New York...

I read in the paper yesterday, Tommy has a mass in his bladder and what is his plans... going to the US.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudaily...ve-for-US-leave

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penguin

• hoz

• misty

• PEARL OF CEBU

ancienrocka
Ok, I know you all say give it a rest. My personal experiences here with any Filipino doctor has been none the less horrible. You all may say the opposite, but let me put it to you this way...

I was in Bantayan last month and had dinner with one of the resort owners. A really nice lady too, her husband died 60years ago. Anyway, she had recently fell and shattered her knee-cap... where did she go for surgery????

New York...

I read in the paper yesterday, Tommy has a mass in his bladder and what is his plans... going to the US.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudaily...ve-for-US-leave

Now in my onion, how could I ever trust a doctor here, when even Filipinos will not trust them? Maybe its because they are unqualified. Maybe its because they are too greedy. Or maybe it is because you just cannot trust them at all.

Or maybe it because of the whole brain drain thing where Doctors here would rather retrain as nurses and go work abroad:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8091903678.html

Lets also not forget the fact that some doctors here are not doctors at all:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/...n-Eastern-Samar

-Nick

What a sweeping generalisation!

My experiences with doctors here have all been good, but I do not for one moment think that that makes all local doctors the top doctors in the world.

LastManStanding

I agree, most of them, but not all are unbelievable. They just want to write you a prescription for some brand name drug that you can get for mere pesos.

Everytime I confront them on this...they come up some bullshit answer that the drug companies spend lots of money on it and they have to recover the costs. So why not give me the generic, its exactly the same. They get defensive and I leave, pushing the 10 sales rep who are crowded outside the doctor's office door waiting to get in and pay the doctor their commissions.

Pathetic really.

My BIL has been in practice as a General Surgeon in Cebu for over 25 years. He served his residency in the US. He could have stayed here in the 70's but wanted to go back and help his people and his country. He comes to America twice a year to attend clinics and seminars to keep abreast of new developments. He has even gone to China to sit in on revolutionary new surgical techniques.

He is one of the best surgeons in Cebu, and has often operated on the "elite" of the region. (He may have been Mayor Toms first Physician!) He volunteers his services at free medical missions around the country,often being gonefor a week or so in small towns on other islands.

While we were visiting last winter Dr Lito was called to other hospitals (He practices at Cebu Doctors) several times to "stand in " for surgeons who had gotten into difficulties. He has saved lives.

I resent your generalization about medical care in the Philippines. Everyone wants a second opinion. One reason Mayor Tommy might go to the US is we have advanced technology that isn't available in The Philippines. Maybe he is in denial and thinks there is a "magic pill" he can take.

I'd say the main reason is BECAUSE HE CAN", there is a certain thing about a Filipino who can afford to go to the US for a second opinion. It shows he has resources, is powerful and important.

The Doctors of the Philippines do very well with the limited assets available.

Pray to God you don't need an operation while you are there, you might get indigestion from having to eat your words.

I resent your generalization about medical care in the Philippines. Everyone wants a second opinion. One reason Mayor Tommy might go to the US is we have advanced technology that isn't available in The Philippines. Maybe he is in denial and thinks there is a "magic pill" he can take.

I'd say the main reason is BECAUSE HE CAN", there is a certain thing about a Filipino who can afford to go to the US for a second opinion. It shows he has resources, is powerful and important.

I agree. It's usually a mentality of the rich that they'll get best treatment if done abroad. :D

Hats off to former President Cory Aquino who dealt with her cancer treatment here in the Philippines.

Bob Ward

From my understanding and input from others, the doctors here are just like any place in the world. There are good, bad and indifferent. The US docs are the kings of prescriptions for anything. I've never been in any doc's office that has not had pharmaceutical reps in the wings. Drugs are not good medicine all the time. It takes common sense to get past the pill pushers. Doctors are not smarter than many people they treat, they just had the perseverance and means to get through medical school.

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Admin (Retired)
broden
I've never been in any doc's office that has not had pharmaceutical reps in the wings.

boy that's true ... my wife works in a medical office .. and usually at least a few times every week she comes home with free pens or whatever from this rep or that rep or they buy the whole office lunch .. only recently have the freebies become just stuff like pens and lunch.. they used to give much more but recently new laws enacted say they can only give out things that are specifically product informative ... but they can still buy lunch or any food actually.. and give pens and office ware (paperweights and the like) no more toys and just plain random handouts though

but by all they still give .. you don't have to go see the prices at the pharmacy to know they are making some serious scratch

Everytime I confront them on this...they come up some bullshit answer that the drug companies spend lots of money on it and they have to recover the costs. So why not give me the generic, its exactly the same. They get defensive and I leave, pushing the 10 sales rep who are crowded outside the doctor's office door waiting to get in and pay the doctor their commissions.

I have the opposite experience with my OB doctor. When he used to prescribe during my prenatal check ups he usually writes the generic name, that I have to ask him which would be best. He usually smirks and says it doesn't matter. lol

Bob Ward
I have the opposite experience with my OB doctor. When he used to prescribe during my prenatal check ups he usually writes the generic name, that I have to ask him which would be best. He usually smirks and says it doesn't matter. lol

Misty, you are correct in most cases. But here in the Phils there are low end pharmaceutical companies who make very low grade generic products. You MUST research the ones that make good products and have good histories. Aside from that, I am with you 100%.

Pray to God you don't need an operation while you are there, you might get indigestion from having to eat your words.

How about I pray to God that my baby doesn't get sick again. I know I cannot handle that crap again. Of course no one knows about that other than I may have mentioned it. A month and a half ago I had to take my baby to the hospital for a fever of 106 degrees. They immediately assumed it was dengue. I even had 7 independent opinions and even though the CBC they required showed a viral infection which could have been taken care of the first day, they kept her in the hospital for three weeks. 7 different doctors during that time each one assuming the same exact thing.

All 7 of them replied the same way, "We have to continue to monitor the platelet counts for dengue" So I ask them about the fact that the CBC is also showing a high level of bacteria, "Well as you know dengue happens all the time here and we will just have to wait to see the platelet count"

Needless to say, my daughter had a temperature of more than 104 degrees consistently for a 2 week period and even though I had 7 different doctors during this period, not once did the platelet counts go down and not once did they even think of doing any further tests. They wanted to "Save me money" instead of paying several thousand pesos for in-depth testing to get a proper diagnosis, I had to pay an almost P80,000 hospital bill, a quarter of that was for the room alone.

Matter of fact... all seven of those doctors and the hospital had better pray to god that my baby doesn't show any signs of long-term brain damage due to their negligence.

7 different doctors, each of them with varying experience and each one were considered to be specialized in their fields and each one of them did not have the sense to run other tests to prove it was a viral infection and take care of it. In general, the doctors said they "assume" it was dengue. Usually this makes and a#$ out of them and me, but I could clearly see the high levels of bacterias in the CBC count... and I am a computer engineer; not a doctor. Of course all of the doctors did have one thing in common.... and that was that they all graduated top in their class at Cebu Doctors... Pfft

I made the wife go out for her passport last week and I have already informed her that if she, the baby or myself ever need medical attention again, to get the first flight to Singapore.

Edited by kc8ual
Bob Ward

Nick,

My man, I feel for you and your family considering the turmoil you endured.

You should have taken control of the situation and demanded the tests you thought were necessary, regardless of the costs.

You did not state the actual outcome or prognosis, so how will we understand this event?

I'm not sure it's fair to blame one medical school. Sounds like you entrusted your daughter to one of their hospitals? It's just not clear.

I understand that in an emotional and scary situation like the one you faced, the facts get washed over by emotions. But that does not make the doctors here bad, you have to manage the situation regardless of the country you are in. Been there, done that, got several t-shirts.

Best to your daughter!!!!!!!

I made the wife go out for her passport last week and I have already informed her that if she, the baby or myself ever need medical attention again, to get the first flight to Singapore.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your baby.

That's just a bit drastic that you'll travel all the way to Singapore for treatment. Manila got the best facilities to handle most cases. It's just unfortunate that your family experienced such thing at the hospital. If I may, if you thought that your daughter's illness was misdiagnosed, why didn't you check out of the hospital and go to a different hospital?

It is evident from the tone of your posts you have a hard on for the country. Dumb Doctors, had to find parts, incompetent mechanics, rude salespeople, bad infrastructure and government, the litany of your grievances keeps growing.

How long before you admit you're are not happy there, pack up and LEAVE?

Edited by hoz
Nick,

My man, I feel for you and your family considering the turmoil you endured.

You should have taken control of the situation and demanded the tests you thought were necessary, regardless of the costs.

You did not state the actual outcome or prognosis, so how will we understand this event?

I'm not sure it's fair to blame one medical school. Sounds like you entrusted your daughter to one of their hospitals? It's just not clear.

I understand that in an emotional and scary situation like the one you faced, the facts get washed over by emotions. But that does not make the doctors here bad, you have to manage the situation regardless of the country you are in. Been there, done that, got several t-shirts.

Best to your daughter!!!!!!!

After 3 days of a fever, I took my daughter into the emergency room for CBC and check up. Immediately everyone assumed it was dengue and no matter what I said, I was not a doctor and god forbid a Kano tells them they are wrong. My daughter was active and bouncing around as usually, she just had a high fever, of course this should have been enough to call for further testing as she wasn't laying around like someone with dengue would be. Since the moment we decided to take her in, the signs all pointed to the flu. When we had the CBC done, her white blood cells were high, her platelets were normal. However her basophils and lymphocytes were too high, almost double the normal average that is printed right on the CBC.

We admitted here and were assigned a doctor who did not even show up for 4 days, instead did her diagnosis over the phone so I demanded a change in doctors. I also insisted on a continuous basis that they do further tests because day after day, the CBC showed a viral infection with absolutely no drop at all in both temp as well as platelets. We went through this day after day and as I went from doctor to doctor, roughly every couple of days or so, the reactions were still the same. Platelets were normal, white blood cells were low and basophils and lymphocytes were high. After 2 weeks of this going on, I had to keep running to the store for ice to keep my daughter's temperature down so she did not fry any brain cells. I even asked the nurses for cold water, which they have in a jug in the nurses station and they kept telling me to get the water from the CR.

Finally after 12 days of a fever above 104 continuously, the fever dropped. The platelets were still normal, the white blood cells increased a bit, and the basophils and lymphocytes were returning to normal. They never prescribed anything for my daughter, they just kept pushing fluid into her arm. Keeping a bouncing baby from messing up an IV is no easy task, especially when you are going on nearly 3 weeks with no more than an hour's sleep each day.

There was absolutely no diagnosis. By the end of the third week, her own body has cured itself. Basically by day 16all of her levels were normal yet they would not release her, nor would they remove the IV until payment was made. During this period She managed to pull on here IV so hard that it was constantly clogging up and on several occasions had air bubbles in it which I had to spend hours carefully squeezing the bubbles back to the top. Finally I said F$#%% and in carefully removed the IV myself because it was obvious that the nurses had no clue what an air bubble can do to you if it gets into a blood vessel. I even had a shouting match with the guard who came up one time when they tried to put the IV back in. The guard gave up and wanted no part of it, but the fact still remains that they cannot just leave in a drip that could potentially do more harm because the nurses were failing to do their jobs.

Needless to say, instead of doing tests like they should have done, like I demanded that they do, they did not. They should have allowed me access to the chilled water to help keep the baby's temp down, they did not. They should have removed the IV once the fever dropped and she was wanting real food again, they did not. There was never a diagnosis, the day we finally were able to check out, the only instruction we were given was to switch to some expensive a#$ formula of which my daughter eats 90% real food and the formula is only at night time when she sleeps.

Their only prognosis was an assumption of dengue... they did not even know what the hell the viral infection was so they could treat it because apparently I am a dumb Kano and they know more than me because they are doctors who had 1 year less of college then I had and therefore I do not know anything about medicine or the like.

It is evident from the tone of your posts you have a hard on for the country. Dumb Doctors, had to find parts, incompetent mechanics, rude salespeople, bad infrastructure and government, the litany of your grievances keeps growing.

How long before you admit you're are not happy there, pack up and LEAVE?

Let me see here.... Umm... Well I never complained about not being able to find stuff, or that there is a lack of infrastructure. However I have met some rude salespeople but in general they have been nice to me.

Now as far as admitting I am not happy here, my wife already knows that. But unlike many foreigners, I still have 3/4 of my life to adjust. However there are certain grievances which are just completely unacceptable, and one of those is health care. It saddens me every single time I see a baby sized casket being carried to the cemetery by grieving parents when in most cases this could have been prevented. It is a shame that children in countries like the Philippines have to die on a regular basis because the vast majority of the best doctors have chosen to be nurses in other countries while the remaining doctors do not have any clue what pro bono means.

Now as far as leaving, apparently this is what you would do as seeing as though you suggested it, I have a family, and I will not leave them for anything regardless of the reasons. I love my family, I love my wife and I love my daughter and they are all that I need as they make me happy. However when something occurs that interferes with that happiness such as a doctor; or 7 doctors for that matter are too incompetent to be a doctor threatens the livelihood of my family, then we will see what happens.

I had some moron the other day try to break into my home, I rushed him breaking my front door in the process while wearing my skibbies. Slammed him into the concrete a couple of times and took him to the security guard. Apparently he was one of the neighbors who was drunk and forgot which home he lived in and tried rattling the door at 3AM. None the less, when it comes to my family, they come before anything and I will protect them with my life if needs be.

However on the other hand, I do miss having friends my own age to hang out with and talk to, because let's face it, I cannot carry a normal conversation with someone twice my age.

-Nick