Engagement rings and keeping her safe...how much should I spend?

Mikala

Exactly, most Filipino's don't do engagements.

Gotta' agree with that. I bought my wife an engagement ring and she didn't understand the concept. She'd seen them only in movies. Diamonds are overrated (and overpriced). I'd skip as it isn't part of her culture.

Also, she wears the engagement ring so it points towards her palm and isn't visible while traveling about on jeepneys and such.

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PhilsFan

• rep1

• agent17

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not think the average thief knows the value of a ring. Buy her something that shows you care and stop worrying about being robbed. 

She can rotate the ring so it just looks like a band, with the setting faced toward the palm of her hand, while in town shopping, etc.    Just a thought.

my wife and i wear my parents rings.. they mean a lot to us .. far more then they are worth monetarily   my Dad had passed away before we got married but both him and my Mom had talked about this be

Posted Images

Exactly, most Filipino's don't do engagements.

They get knocked up instead.

• Like 1

It is not the value that attracts the thieves, it's the look.

I agree.  They snatch first and evaluate later.  They snatch anything that looks valuable.  I've seen them snatch cheap neclaces off someone's neck from jeep passengers.

Anyone who believe they are safe because the jewelry they are wearing isn't expensive is foolish.

As I have said before, look around and do what the locals do.

Personally. I like the idea but a diamond is what I feel most would want.

I will take her shopping, I guess.

It kind of ruin's the surprise but probably be easier on the pocket book if I take her as she is not very materialistic and then she gets exactly what she wants...within reason!  :good:

Or you could take her to shopping, reject everything she wants and then give her something in her taste but much better.

• Like 1
Headshot

If you give your fiancee an engagement ring, do NOT let her ride on public transportation (jeepneys, buses, tricycles or habel-habels) here or go to market areas while wearing it. That is just asking for trouble. However, if you have a vehicle or take taxis, eat at decent restaurants and shops at malls and supermarkets, then her wearing an engagement ring is perfectly safe here.

• Like 1
PhilsFan

If you give your fiancee an engagement ring, do NOT let her ride on public transportation (jeepneys, buses, tricycles or habel-habels) here or go to market areas while wearing it. That is just asking for trouble. However, if you have a vehicle or take taxis, eat at decent restaurants and shops at malls and supermarkets, then her wearing an engagement ring is perfectly safe here.

Those are my thoughts as well. She rides a lot of public transportation when I am gone working. Perhaps a cheaper "starter ring" for now and something more grandiose when we are more settled. Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Would any ladies on here care to comment?

delancey

The rare post containing nuance. There is no absolute safety issue. Some zip from a private vehicle to a upscale venue, back to a private vehicle and then back home. Some take a jeepney and walk the market. Everything in between, too. No reason to create fear.

batman2525

I bought my chick a ring from Argos in the UK it cost about £40....it was too big for her so she took it to Cebu to get cut to her size by one of the street  vendors...after he cut it he tried soldering it back together and it went poof in a puff of smoke....where you get this ring the guy said.....My B/F tell me he bought it from jeweler in London she said....the street vendor told her to take it back and ask for the £3000 I told her it cost....

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My gf asked for an expensive ring at the Pikes peak summit gift shop. She asked how much is". $24.99"?

Works for her.

Davaoeno
 How many women have you seen today wearing expensive wedding rings?  

Without at the very least a jewelers loop I wouldn't have a clue !!   Whats your way of telling the value of the ring you see a woman wearing ?

Edited by Davaoeno
michael_retired

What about a ring of jade or Gem silica (blue) or Serpentine (black, green)? They are translucent with beautiful patterns but non-shining, unlike diamond or gold. non Chinese wouldn't know about their value.

Jade prices are crazy.  Just got back from Hong Kong last week,  saw some imperial jade bracelets priced at $hk 150 million ($us1 is about $7hk$). Apparently jade has deep spiritual meaning to the chinese. 

I don't  know,  give me diamonds or gold and I'm pretty happy. 

Headshot

What about a ring of jade or Gem silica (blue) or Serpentine (black, green)? They are translucent with beautiful patterns but non-shining, unlike diamond or gold. non Chinese wouldn't know about their value.

I would never recommend using serpentine for a ring. Serpentine has asbestos in it, and wearing it on your hands can be hazardous to your health.

• Administrator
Dafey

She can rotate the ring so it just looks like a band, with the setting faced toward the palm of her hand, while in town shopping, etc

This is what my wife does

Thinking of getting her a labia piercing for the fine jewelry...she thinks its made of gold anyway!

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

I would never recommend using serpentine for a ring. Serpentine has asbestos in it, and wearing it on your hands can be hazardous to your health.

Bologna. Unless you are going to crush the ring and sniff the crushed stone, there is no health hazard.

"Serpentine is a natural stone commonly used in jewelry making and carved stone art. It can come in many colors ranging from white to yellow to green to brown to black. Why is such a beautiful stone coming under attack in California? Because the word “asbestos” is being tossed around recklessly.

So, the more important question remains: Can one get sick from wearing serpentine jewelry?

The bottom line: NO! There is nothing wrong with or dangerous about wearing serpentine jewelry. Don’t let the yahoos who know nothing about geology scare you off from some really gorgeous works of serpentine jewelry."

“In a 1999 National Academy of Sciences (Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. vol. 96) study on the health effects on miners exposed to grunerite asbestos, the researchers concluded the lifetime risk of death by lung cancer and mesothelioma for the miners was similar to that of being killed by a lightning strike or by a plane falling from the sky (averaged over the entire U.S.).”

• Like 1