Engagement rings and keeping her safe...how much should I spend?

Look around.  How many women have you seen today wearing expensive wedding rings?  Too few to count.  They usually keep the expensive ring in their jewelry box.  Some would wear a cheap one as a symbol, but most of them don't.

Do what the locals do, not what the foreigners do.

Edited by agent17
  • Like 4
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PhilsFan

• rep1

• agent17

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not think the average thief knows the value of a ring. Buy her something that shows you care and stop worrying about being robbed. 

She can rotate the ring so it just looks like a band, with the setting faced toward the palm of her hand, while in town shopping, etc.    Just a thought.

my wife and i wear my parents rings.. they mean a lot to us .. far more then they are worth monetarily   my Dad had passed away before we got married but both him and my Mom had talked about this be

Posted Images

A_Simple_Man

I thought about getting my gf an engagement ring so I asked her what she thought.  She wanted one she could pawn for 20K pesos or more.  As you are probably thinking, about now, I figured she was showing her materialistic side.  That made me ask her why she would want to pawn her engagement ring.  Her off the cuff reply astounded me.  She said:

"You don't give me access to your bank account.  You tell me who to contact in case of emergency but what am I going to do for money if you are in a motorcycle accident and you have to go to hospital, unconscious.  With a ring I can pawn it RIGHT NOW and get the cash to take care of you in hospital until your family can arrange proper financial planning."

Comments on that logic?  It has me thinking I want to buy a used ring, from the pawn shop.  That way they can tell me the pawn value of it and I know what kind of an investment I am buying, for her.

Edit:  I just noticed that Lazada has 15 pages of engagement rings, priced from next to nothing to over 100K pesos so it may be worth your while to start looking there.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 2
smokey

I do not think the average thief knows the value of a ring. Buy her something that shows you care and stop worrying about being robbed. 

forget the ring just buy her a car that shows you care

• Like 1
smokey

Well if the highest one is 100,000 buy two and then she can get 20,000 at pawn ...

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

I would like her to have something nice but worried she could get robbed or hurt if I bought something to expensive. She is not  materialistic but most all women want one...thoughts? We live in the city not the province.

my wife and i wear my parents rings.. they mean a lot to us .. far more then they are worth monetarily

my Dad had passed away before we got married but both him and my Mom had talked about this before he passed and my Mom gave us the rings..wedding ring for me.. wedding and engagement right for my wife.. they are not super fancy or pricey rings.. they were what my parents could afford back at the time they were getting engaged and married

if you can find a ring expensive or not that you can both tie additional sentimentality too for any reason..which of course they will already have by being your rings

go for it.. don't worry about super fancy or expensive though 

i know a couple here in the states that got married over 50 years ago.. they had toy rings cause they really couldn't afford anything at the time.. they since have gotten each other nicer rings but they still keep the toy rings in a display in their home.. those are the rings that really matter to them not the ones they wear so much

• Like 5
cvgtpc1

And I thought it was supposed to be all about love lol. Got married 30+ years ago and didn't have rings. Finally got a pair of bands for 100 bucks and all we've had since.

• Like 3

I married my wife 30 years ago and I did not get her an engagement ring only a simple wedding band. Now every five years she buys herself a new engagement ring.

• Like 3

What about a ring of jade or Gem silica (blue) or Serpentine (black, green)? They are translucent with beautiful patterns but non-shining, unlike diamond or gold. non Chinese wouldn't know about their value.

colemanlee

My wife just wears a simple diamond...I think something like .25 caret not a great stone..

PhilsFan

What about a ring of jade or Gem silica (blue) or Serpentine (black, green)? They are translucent with beautiful patterns but non-shining, unlike diamond or gold. non Chinese wouldn't know about their value.

Personally. I like the idea but a diamond is what I feel most would want.

I will take her shopping, I guess.

It kind of ruin's the surprise but probably be easier on the pocket book if I take her as she is not very materialistic and then she gets exactly what she wants...within reason!  :good:

colemanlee

It kind of ruin's the surprise but probably be easier on the pocket book if I take her as she is not very materialistic and then she gets exactly what she wants...within reason!  :good:

My wife picked out hers...just be aware...unless you go to some high dollar place here, most of the stuff you will see is of a lesser quality...I would look on the web to see how diamonds are graded and something about the color before you go....

• Like 1
PhilsFan

My wife picked out hers...just be aware...unless you go to some high dollar place here, most of the stuff you will see is of a lesser quality...I would look on the web to see how diamonds are graded and something about the color before you go....

Yup. Study up! Roger that. I think it would be rather easy to get scammed here if one was not up on ring quality issues.

lazydays

Do what the locals do, not what the foreigners do.

Exactly, most Filipino's don't do engagements.

• Like 1
cvgtpc1

Hope she doesn't get diamond fever when she starts seeing them haha!

• Like 1
PhilsFan

Hope she doesn't get diamond fever when she starts seeing them haha!

I am kind of leaning towards Copper myself..but I don't think that will fly.