Gulf War Air Campaign

colemanlee

AC ?   - I'm sure you dont mean air con , so I'm guessing its a military term ?

AC=Aircraft

Here, I found it, something about Canadian participation in that conflict

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/history/canadian-armed-forces/persian-gulf

Edited by colemanlee
  • Like 1

I still never understood why  at the time... Geo Bush 41  didn't remove Saddam then and save us the rerun GW2.....      He could of taken out Saddam...put in a kinder gentler dictator  .. freed the Kurds  in fell swoop... and enriched Yankee Oil Companies..       If anyone knows of  good reading or links as to why the US didnt  take down  Saddam  in GW1   please share. 

Edited by samatm
colemanlee

I still never understood why  at the time... Geo Bush 41  didn't remove Saddam then and save us the rerun GW2.....      He could of taken out Saddam...put in a kinder gentler dictator  .. freed the Kurds  in fell swoop... and enriched Yankee Oil Companies..       If anyone knows of  good reading or links as to why the US didnt  take down  Saddam  in GW1   please share. 

Believe me, most of us didnt either, we had them on the ropes, before they called it quits, we were running tanker missions where we could see Bagdad I just found this...lots of stuff out there....what Cheney said about a quagmire turned out to be the truth when 43 invaded

http://www.theglobalist.com/on-iraq-dick-cheney-used-to-be-a-truth-teller/

• Like 1

I was in Dallas the day the first Iraq war ended, having barbeque ribs with an Oz mate of mine.

We had finished our meal and were drinking coffee and waiting for the bill, when a large Texan with his secretary? who was sitting 2 tables away was overheard talking (in that characteristically quiet Texan way) about the war having ended.

In one of the most risky one-liner attempts at humour of my life , I said

"Excuse me, did I hear you say that the Iraq war was over"

"yes" he replied

I asked "Who won?"

Whereupon, it seemed like a good idea to quickly pay the bill and depart!

I'm still trying to figure out what the correct answer was! - Lol!

I know who won the battle, but the war?

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1
Headshot

I asked "Who won?"

Whereupon, it seemed like a good idea to quickly pay the bill and depart!

I'm still trying to figure out what the correct answer was! - Lol!

I know who won the battle, but the war?

Don't be silly. The answer is obvious. Iraq lost big time...but nobody won (with the exception of maybe Kuwait which really played no role in the war).

Don't be silly. The answer is obvious. Iraq lost big time...but nobody won (with the exception of maybe Kuwait which really played no role in the war).

Exactly my point!

Kuwait got a good result (the invaders were removed)

But little changed in Iraq - reduced their military capability, but the same government remained -with the same dictator in charge!

Doesn't look much like a win!

Edited by Oz Jon
colemanlee

The United States lost, why, because 43 destined the country to baby sit a bunch of Camel jockeys, when he should have left them alone to destroy each other

• Like 2
Soupeod

They wanted them out of kuwait

When they were going out of kuwait they

Bomb them more while retreating back to their land

Why?

They = The United Nations wanted them out, after they took over Kuwait and then... started to attack Saudi Arabia as well.  They - were very aggressive to take over everything.

They were not going out of Kuwait, they robbed the entire City, executed many people, had torture chambers and were running with their LOOT.

As they were escaping in Tanks...etc... the US AF caught them and according to many people I know they actually quit attacking them because there were to many casualties.

And... I was there after this attack.  (not to mention the atrocities that happen to humans but the innocent animals as well . I was very sad when the Iraqi army killed every Zoo animal in the Kuwait zoo, it was such a horrible scene, and stole everything.)  

And... all of the reasons Lee said.

Edited by soupeod
Soupeod

The commentator uses the term " overwhelming air power"   .  That must be kind of easy when the other side has no planes 

Oh, they had a lot of planes, we shot them down... so they hid them or moved them to Iran.

They had a couple of Sopwith Camels that acquited themselves well.

A great tactical victory - and a great strategic blunder.

What a waste of lives, time, and money.

What were they the ....3rd largest Army in the world at the time?  Such comments ... haha

Soupeod

I guess you were here watching TV Patrol...sorry...did you know Canada actually had AC there?  Not that I remember what they were doing, we were a little busy....

Yes there were Canadian armed forces there as well, I worked with them. 

Because the agreement was to remove them from Saudi and Kuwait and that was it, He kept his word.

Exactly my point!

Kuwait got a good result (the invaders were removed)

But little changed in Iraq - reduced their military capability, but the same government remained -with the same dictator in charge!

Doesn't look much like a win!

Did you know ...many of the Kuwaitis were dual citizens of the US and Kuwait.